Hypothetical - Would you sign with the Browns as rookie QB?

mrt144

Reaction score
So with Manziels elbow going cattywampus and the turnstyle that is the Browns QB position...

You're in the 2016 Draft as a QB and through fate, circumstance, who knows, you wind up being selected by the Cleveland Browns.

Do you refuse to sign or do you ride it out and bail the first opportunity you get. Remember to factor in the illustrious post Browns careers that each QB has had.

Me, personally...

While I like money in hand, I feel like the Browns are such a horrible organization that it will actively ruin your career and impair long term earnings potential.

I know there are a lot of hard asses who think players are chattle who should just do what they're told and play for who drafts them but...I'd love to hear at least one smart college QB say "If you were running a business, you wouldn't even return the Browns phone calls, that's how bad they are at what they do. They are career enders, if they even let you get one off the ground."

kearly

Reaction score
Eli told the Chargers he wouldn't sign a deal with them. I feel like this has happened with another QB recently, but can't remember which.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I actually like what the Browns have been doing. I like Mike Pettine and they have some solid defensive talent. They're a quarterback away from being a playoff contender, IMO.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Well I play a lot of Madden, so I know for fact that if I was the Browns QB I'd be save the franchise, be OROY, MVP, go 19-0, and sign a $100+ contract. So, yes, if we go that route. :th2thumbs:

Basis4day

Reaction score
I presume this is a 1st rd talent we're talking about here?

In 2014 the third overall pick was Blake Bortles and his contract is a little over 20 million guaranteed.
In 2014 the 32 overall pick was Teddy Bridewater and his contract was a little over 5 million guaranteed.

Turning down 5-20 million dollars is really big risk, and the less you can take the better the team you're going to is likely to be. Refusing to sign means no college football either as you used up eligibility to enter the draft. Players don't typically improve their draft stock by sitting out a year.

All for the potential to make more money from another team that had a worse enough record to draft in the top of the 1st rd?

That's too many ifs.

Take the money.

Sac

Reaction score
The Browns are quietly decent with the exception of QB. Imagine the God status you'd be afforded if you were actually good and led them to a title game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":3aez4ggd said:
Eli told the Chargers he wouldn't sign a deal with them. I feel like this has happened with another QB recently, but can't remember which.
Elway told the Colts if they drafted him he was going to play baseball for the Yankees who had also drafted him.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":4oikt6ck said:
I presume this is a 1st rd talent we're talking about here?

In 2014 the third overall pick was Blake Bortles and his contract is a little over 20 million guaranteed.
In 2014 the 32 overall pick was Teddy Bridewater and his contract was a little over 5 million guaranteed.

Turning down 5-20 million dollars is really big risk, and the less you can take the better the team you're going to is likely to be. Refusing to sign means no college football either as you used up eligibility to enter the draft. Players don't typically improve their draft stock by sitting out a year.

All for the potential to make more money from another team that had a worse enough record to draft in the top of the 1st rd?

That's too many ifs.

Take the money.

Add to this, the Browns seem to keep drafting 3rd round QBs in the first round.

chris98251

Reaction score
If your 3rd round talent and get first round money you jump on signing.

Smellyman

Reaction score
A good Offensive line with Joe Thomas.

Heck yeah I would sign. They made Hoyer look like a QB.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Honestly, I feel like they are the mark of death. If they choose you, they did so because of their incompetence. It's like inverse flattery.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Trrrroy":h2a8z0vg said:
I actually like what the Browns have been doing. I like Mike Pettine and they have some solid defensive talent. They're a quarterback away from being a playoff contender, IMO.

Agreed. Given the dissaray of practically every team picking in the top 5 every year, I think landing on a team like the Browns, Bills, or Texans would actually be a blessing (IMO they're really the only three "crappy" teams that would be playoff contenders if they could just find average QB play). .

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I would... But only if my entire contract was signing bonus so I could invest right away and then make them sign on a non-extension performance based incentive program that they pay out into my fourth year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
In a heartbeat.

That's a team that is built very much like Seattle really. Defensively, not to the same degree, but they have a great deal of talent there. From a QB incubating kind of environment -- it's a team well built to support a QB as he gets through the rookie growing pains.

The organization though. That's a tough one. I do think they've drafted much better in the last few years. But the organization itself seems to lack a vision. And that kind of plays out as not possessing the kind of conviction and long term thinking to breed success. Major moves are incredibly 'hair on fire' by nature.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
So would this apply to any team? The more I read about the Washington situation, the more it seems like Dan Snyder poisons everything he touches.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hell, yes. It is a paycheck to play a game. Who would not want a paycheck to go out and play a game? Sure as hell beats working for a living.

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
Tough call, but I'd ride it out. Take my millions and play well.

I may not like playing for a loser organization, but refusing to sign or to play well will generate bad publicity about me to the other 31 teams. Everyone's watching you, no matter who you play for.

When my Cleveland contract expires, I'll opt for Free Agency the first chance I get, and sign up with a current Super Bowl contender.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":2qwqfpfx said:

I may not like playing for a loser organization, but refusing to sign or to play well will generate bad publicity about me to the other 31 teams. Everyone's watching you, no matter who you play for.

When my Cleveland contract expires, I'll opt for Free Agency the first chance I get, and sign up with a current Super Bowl contender.

Can you hold out from a franchise tag?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":1eem19oh said:

And what if I am what they needed to be a superbowl contender.....then we win.