49ers Announce Coaching Staff

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.examiner.com/article/49ers-announce-coaching-staff-assistants-for-jim-tomsula?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/urltargetblank]

Below is the list. At the link there's a little mini-bio for each:

Offensive coordinator: Geep Chryst.

Offensive line coach: Chris Foerster.

Assistant offensive line coach: Eric Wolford

Quarterbacks Coach: Steve Logan

Wide receivers coaches: Adam Henry and Ronald Curry

Running backs coach: Tom Rathman, 52

Tight ends coach: Tony Sparano,

Offensive assistant coach: D.J. Boldin

Defensive coordinator: Eric Mangini

Defensive line coach: Scott Brown

Outside linebackers coach: Jason Tarver,

Inside linebackers coach: Clancy Pendergast

Secondary coach: Tim Lewis

Defensive assistants: Ejiro Evero, Aubyrayo Franklin and Mick Lombardi

Special teams coordinator: Thomas McGaughey

Assistant special teams coach: Richard Hightower

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Clancy Pendergast is hell of a DC. Surprised he is the LBs coach rather than the DC. IMO, he'd be a better DC than Mangina.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Looks like a bunch of guys vying for a spot higher on the totem pole the season after this one.

Island of misfit toys.

rideaducati

Reaction score
And they'll all be gone in two years once Jeddy figures out he has been duped into believing in Baalke.

The Outfield

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2nwzw6jk said:
Clancy Pendergast is hell of a DC. Surprised he is the LBs coach rather than the DC. IMO, he'd be a better DC than Mangina.

I feel bad for Mangini. Can't imagine the kids on the playground growing up...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly, I liked Tomsula just am not sure he's a HC. We'll see, but the players love the guy. Maybe he's this generations John Madden. Maybe he's Dave Campo. Remains to be seen.

I don't hate the Mangini choice nearly as much as some other do, but the bottom line is that niners run fairly simplistic schemes and let their talent shine instead of trying to trick people as you need to with inferior talent. Vic called very few blitzes.

Point here is Mangini would have to really screw up to mess this up. Seahawks got better with Quinn and I don't see a huge falloff coming with Richard.

I also LOVE the position coaches, particularly Pendergast, Tarver, and Lewis. Tomsula will surely still get his hands dirty with the D-Linemen.

Bottom line here, not worried about defense...at least not from the coaching perspective.

Offense?

Different story. Underwhelmed by Chryst.

I like Logan actually after researching him some and listening to him on the radio. He loves mobile QBs. Coached Jeff Blake and David Gerrard at ECU and was the OC with Matt Ryan at BC.

Foerster makes me wonder if they might employ more zone blocking particularly since it appears they might lose Iupati. I think Hyde would be great in a ZBS, but we'll see.

Sparano is a nice pickup as a TE coach.

Don't know a ton about those WR coaches other than Curry as a player. Interesting to me though that it appears one will couch outside WRs and the other Inside WRs...not even sure what that means. Focus on slot guys? Who knows.

Rathman is IMO the best RB coach in the NFL so grat that he's staying.

On ST, I won't even pretend to know about this guy but its a bummer that Seely is gone. IMO he was one of the best.

All-in-all...I like a lot of those guys, particularly on D, but big ?s on offense and at HC.

Marvin49

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":exqmrsku said:
Marvin49":exqmrsku said:
Honestly, I liked Tomsula just am not sure he's a HC. We'll see, but the players love the guy. Maybe he's this generations John Madden. Maybe he's Dave Campo. Remains to be seen.

I don't hate the Mangini choice nearly as much as some other do, but the bottom line is that niners run fairly simplistic schemes and let their talent shine instead of trying to trick people as you need to with inferior talent. Vic called very few blitzes.

Point here is Mangini would have to really screw up to mess this up. Seahawks got better with Quinn and I don't see a huge falloff coming with Richard.

I also LOVE the position coaches, particularly Pendergast, Tarver, and Lewis. Tomsula will surely still get his hands dirty with the D-Linemen.

Bottom line here, not worried about defense...at least not from the coaching perspective.

Offense?

Different story. Underwhelmed by Chryst.

I like Logan actually after researching him some and listening to him on the radio. He loves mobile QBs. Coached Jeff Blake and David Gerrard at ECU and was the OC with Matt Ryan at BC.

Foerster makes me wonder if they might employ more zone blocking particularly since it appears they might lose Iupati. I think Hyde would be great in a ZBS, but we'll see.

Sparano is a nice pickup as a TE coach.

Don't know a ton about those WR coaches other than Curry as a player. Interesting to me though that it appears one will couch outside WRs and the other Inside WRs...not even sure what that means. Focus on slot guys? Who knows.

Rathman is IMO the best RB coach in the NFL so grat that he's staying.

On ST, I won't even pretend to know about this guy but its a bummer that Seely is gone. IMO he was one of the best.

All-in-all...I like a lot of those guys, particularly on D, but big ?s on offense and at HC.

I think you are pretty spot on. Defense looks fine, but that's not the offensive coaching staff I would want in this division.

Rams, Cards, and Seahawks could feast on the 49ers offense -- especially if the O line play continues to drop off - and they are in trouble at receiver. Boldin has never been fast but last year he had trouble getting any separation at all. He's slower than most tight ends at this point in his career. You think they keep him around, or are they counting on Johnson to develop more rapport with Kap?

Boldin isn't going anywhere.

He's been better in SF than he ever was in Baltimore and about as good as he was in Arizona. Yes, he's getting long in the tooth, but he's still a damn good player.

Johnson? Dunno...he might be a target for release with that contract. Maybe they think he'll be better with more time with Kap, but they still have a serious speed issue with him on the field.

Crabtree all but gone already.

Patton and Ellington have some promise...Ellington in particular as a Slot guy, but my guess is they go after a WR high in the draft. Several good ones who might be there at 15.