Are PED's and steroid use rampant in the NFL?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Based on my limited knowledge I think they are not. Not looking for speculation. Looking for credible sources either way.

Thanks,
SC

kidhawk

Reaction score
Eddie George would disagree with you

[urltargetblank]http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/01/eddie-george-believes-ped-use-nfl-very-rampant[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ca8d5nr said:

[urltargetblank]http://www.complex.com/sports/2015/01/eddie-george-believes-ped-use-nfl-very-rampant[/urltargetblank]

Really not trying to set myself up as right, my knowledge is ridiculously limited. Though I will say that article falls under speculation. He didn't actually witness anyone taking anything, they just were coming back from injury faster than he thought possible without a substance.

SC

ringless

Reaction score
It seems that testing is not done often enough to prevent steroid usage. There are lots of steroids with a very short half life that they could easily get away with.

kidhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":3ma67f1e said:
kidhawk":3ma67f1e said:

Really not trying to set myself up as right, my knowledge is ridiculously limited. Though I will say that article falls under speculation. He didn't actually witness anyone taking anything, they just were coming back from injury faster than he thought possible without a substance.

SC

Without mandated testing, all you have is the "eye test" and many times, the eye test does a better job of sniffing out these things than random drug screening. This is likely why the NFL is becoming a bit less "random" in their screening selections.

Look at it from a player's perspective. If you can get yourself back in 6 games instead of 12 games, or back to start the season instead of say week 8, you make yourself more appealing when it comes to negotiating contracts. The only downside for a first time offender was the 4 game suspension, and the fact that the odds were in their favor that they wouldn't be caught, it really was worth the risk if one was inclined to go that route.

I think HGH was VERY widely used by players to heal from injuries and this was the reason the NFLPA pushed lengthen negotiations over it. With the new testing coming into place, we may not see as many miraculous recoveries as we did in recent years.

Also, something that I've never really said, but always had in the back of my mind with regards to Bruce Irvin's PED Suspension. He was asked to "bulk up" after her came here. He did so quite rapidly and was then busted for a PED. I don't think this was a coincidence. He knew he needed to have a little more bulk to play at this level, and for his future, the risk of a 4 game suspension was worth his becoming physically what the team needed him to be.

I'm not saying nor implying the team told him to use PED's or in any way supplied them to him, only that it really isn't a strong enough punishment by the league considering the off setting chance to become a better player and make more money over the course of your career.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
ringless":3sk6519l said:
It seems that testing is not done often enough to prevent steroid usage. There are lots of steroids with a very short half life that they could easily get away with.

The testing is random so the player would be risking their lively hood. Not saying that would stop all, but it would stop some.

S

The Outfield

Reaction score

Tical21

Reaction score
Steroids, no. Nobody does steroids anymore. HGH has been more than rampant for over a decade. Something else will be next.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Just look at how long Lance Armstrong and his group were able to mask what they were doing. Now realize that professional Cycling teams have nowhere near the resources of Professional Football, Baseball, Basketball etc. For every Doctor researching "the next thing" as Tical21 mentioned there are probably just as many working to mask them! The holy grail would be to find one that left either no trace or presented as something entirely benign.