Chevan Cordeiro

WarHawks

Reaction score
Curious why he fell to us as an udfa and wasn't drafted by a team even in the 7th?? Elite athleticism and speed, accurate, threw few int's, makes all the throws, all time passing and td leader in the Mountain West. Better prospect than Rattler or Milton. Is it just because of the conference he played in? Not sure what I'm missing.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Curious why he fell to us as an udfa and wasn't drafted by a team even in the 7th?? Elite athleticism and speed, accurate, threw few int's, makes all the throws, all time passing and td leader in the Mountain West. Better prospect than Rattler or Milton. Is it just because of the conference he played in? Not sure what I'm missing.
He's basically Alex McGough with a little more speed and a little less arm. That's my comp, anyway.

I don't think he's better than Rattler or Milton. Milton is bigger, faster, and has more arm with similar issues (his game doesn't flow like a professionals).

Rattler obviously less talented physically but he does actual pro stuff in the pocket and hits tight windows, timing throws, and the intermediate middle with poise. That's hard to do and hard to coach from the ground up.

Chevan is going to be a fun preseason quarterback, but I don't see a pro starter. He doesn't have that pocket poise, he doesn't operate at a high level as a processor, and he doesn't have enough arm talent to overcome that to be a draftable prospect. I could see a practice squad stash turning into an eventual backup job for him.

Quarterbacks with his kind of skillset tend to not work out. You'd look for guys who do his sort of game better than he does against better competition, such as say DTR or Jordan Travis. Even those guys don't go high.

OP
OP
WarHawks

WarHawks

Reaction score
His arm talent is a strength from what I've read though. Interesting.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
His arm talent is a strength from what I've read though. Interesting.
It's NFL strong, it just isn't strong enough to be a draw all on its own like it is for, say, Milton.

I'd put it roughly at Sam Howell's level. They kind of push the vertical boundaries similarly

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I knew nothing about him before your post I did find he was the 38th rated QB going into the draft according to one site. You never know how a player might turn out we have seen some good QBs start as UDFAs. My guess is the level of competition did him no favors. I wouldn’t hold my breath I expect both Tua’s brother and Cordeiro to be camp arms

OP
OP
WarHawks

WarHawks

Reaction score
38th? Wow. His tape and stats sure look better than that at cursory glance. I'd never heard of him either before the draft. I guess that's why.

toffee

Reaction score
It's NFL strong, it just isn't strong enough to be a draw all on its own like it is for, say, Milton.

I'd put it roughly at Sam Howell's level. They kind of push the vertical boundaries similarly
Sam Howell or Sam Hartman?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sam Howell or Sam Hartman?
Or "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman"? KING-TV was the first station to pick up that show, after all.
I couldn't find a scouting report on Mary and her arm strength. As long as Chevan doesn't drown in a bowl of chicken soup at the VMAC cafeteria, he's got a shot.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Oh, dude. I just figured out who he reminds me of. I knew McGough wasn't my actual first choice comp, but I couldn't place it before.

Chris Streveler.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He has a noodle arm.
We talkin' Cordeiro or Streveler?

I thought both of them had noodles initially, but then they'll uncork one randomly that shows they've got untapped oomph.

Check out Cordeiro at :30 here. Some legit strength there. Most guys with average arms, you'll see the ball hang a little bit uncomfortably on its way. This one is a legit rainbow.

Mase

Reaction score
- He is a camp arm and practice squader to recreate Murray's athleticism in the pocket. Teach the Dline how to chase a scrambler.

Mase

nanomoz

Reaction score
We talkin' Cordeiro or Streveler?

I thought both of them had noodles initially, but then they'll uncork one randomly that shows they've got untapped oomph.

Check out Cordeiro at :30 here. Some legit strength there. Most guys with average arms, you'll see the ball hang a little bit uncomfortably on its way. This one is a legit rainbow.

Chevan. He can't drive the ball on intermediatethrows. I could be missing something. Maybe it is a mechanics thing.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Chevan. He can't drive the ball on intermediatethrows. I could be missing something. Maybe it is a mechanics thing.
I think in the intermediate, he's doing the thing where he tries to derive all of the power from his arm instead of getting appropriate rotation throughout his entire body. Leads to flaccid throws with no additional torque on them.

Would also make sense that his deep throws look better than his intermediate under that scenario, given that he's forced to wind up and involve the rest of his body in the deep passes.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I think in the intermediate, he's doing the thing where he tries to derive all of the power from his arm instead of getting appropriate rotation throughout his entire body. Leads to flaccid throws with no additional torque on them.

Would also make sense that his deep throws look better than his intermediate under that scenario, given that he's forced to wind up and involve the rest of his body in the deep passes.
That makes sense. Howell's arm strength is capped by that too often.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Good they cut him .. No need for these short QBs with mid arms.