Jets hiring Todd Bowles, not Dan Quinn, as HC

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I kind of like that hire for the Jets, though it's a bit like hiring Rex Part 2. Maybe they just want a new voice to preach the same stuff. I wonder why Rex and Bowles didn't hold out for the Atlanta job? Seems like the most cush opportunity for a defensive coach.

Another bonus: odds of Jets keeping Percy just went up. 4th rounder, baby.

Barakas

Reaction score
It's good and bad for the Seahawks. On one hand, we have a higher chance of keeping our DC for another year but I'd rather him go to an AFC team than to a team closer to home...

pehawk

Reaction score
Perfect hire for the Jets. Bowles has a lil something too him. A little "it" if you will. I noticed "it" when he was an interim for the Dolphins. I don't know what "it" is though.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Outstanding news! Cards lose a chunk of that outstanding defense, and the Jets get a little tougher in a division that doesn't much affect us and could use toughening up anyway.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/555206378886004736[/tweet]

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3k94svwk said:
DavidSeven":3k94svwk said:

Why is that?

If Quinn had gotten the Jets job, I don't believe he would've retained Harvin since he is deeply familiar with the history. Just guessing.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2cf013y5 said:
Seanhawk":2cf013y5 said:
DavidSeven":2cf013y5 said:

Why is that?

If Quinn had gotten the Jets job, I don't believe he would've retained Harvin since he is deeply familiar with the history. Just guessing.

G'damn, you clever bastard. You should be a mod or something.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":bk9gzfhg said:
Seanhawk":bk9gzfhg said:
DavidSeven":bk9gzfhg said:

Why is that?

Gotcha. I thought there was some connection between Bowles and Harvin.

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":1gr3nwt3 said:
I will admit, completely selfishly, I hope all the jobs are full before Quinn is available.

If you guys win this week, that might be guaranteed.

3 straight NFCCs kept Greg Roman firmly intact in SF, and if Fangio was ever a prospect himself, that shielded him as well.

ringless

Reaction score
While Bowles had success as our DC, I don't know if it will translate into being a good HC. He is very very quiet, reserved, and soft spoken. Very much the opposite of Rex Ryan in that regard. I remember during the season he was screaming and yelling during one of the half times and just fired up and the defense said it was very unlike him.

I guess Horton was someone who did great as a D coordinator and then was hired to be a HC and it didn't translate.
Could be the same thing with Quinn, Quinn inherited an already good defense, has had a tremendous a lot of talent, and really it was Pete's defense. Pete has always had a good defense.

Rat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":37vvasz2 said:
I wonder why Rex and Bowles didn't hold out for the Atlanta job? Seems like the most cush opportunity for a defensive coach.
I don't get this. If they're such hardcore defensive guys, why do you think they'd be especially attracted to a job coaching a team with arguably the least defensive talent in the league? A line with Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, and Kyle Williams? That's a wet dream for guys like Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles, Marvin Lewis, Teryl Austin, etc.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3j2vbsvs said:
The Falcons can cross one of those names off the list of available candidates as Bowles accepted the New York Jets head coaching job on Tuesday night.

However, Quinn appears to be equally intrigued by the Falcons opening. According to Dianna Russini of NBC 4 in Washington D.C., Quinn wants the Falcons job.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lcons-job/
How does someone in the DC market know that Quinn wants an ATL job? What's her connection?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Rat":lhfktgu0 said:
DavidSeven":lhfktgu0 said:
I wonder why Rex and Bowles didn't hold out for the Atlanta job? Seems like the most cush opportunity for a defensive coach.
I don't get this. If they're such hardcore defensive guys, why do you think they'd be especially attracted to a job coaching a team with arguably the least defensive talent in the league? A line with Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus, and Kyle Williams? That's a wet dream for guys like Rex Ryan, Todd Bowles, Marvin Lewis, Teryl Austin, etc.
The thinking is they might have issues building an offense while they could all build very good defenses out of nothing. So why not to go the place with the best offense, one that runs itself, so when you put all your effort into making the defense good you'll have a complete team.