Mueller report released

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No one will ever convince me that not one single person at NFL offices never watched that video. It was the ENTIRE reason for the Rice investigation.

Mueller's a patsy that had previous relations with the NFL, what did you think he'd say?

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
marko358":1irx5ldh said:
Not the most independent investigation you'll find.

True, but I was still hoping that it wouldn't be so obvious about it though. They could have thrown an intern under the bus or something at least.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Associated Press be all like: "Nah, we actually don't want to see what you've got because it'll conflict with what we've claimed about the NFL."

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dkaplanSBJ/status/553272424184422400[/tweet]

Also, in before Hernia rants about Goodell's ability to orchestrate the entire world with this investigation. :lol:

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ji8nvfxf said:
Associated Press be all like: "Nah, we actually don't want to see what you've got because it'll conflict with what we've claimed about the NFL."

Interesting, and I didn't know that.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OkieHawk":t72ootu4 said:
It's information that anti-NFL/anti-Goodell people won't want to know about, that's for sure. I am actually legitimately curious to see how some people spin this; a press corps purposely declining to get additional pertinent information about an accused cover-up. I mean, is this a first in the history of the media, or what?

pehawk

Reaction score
Some of us anti-Goodell types didn't care about this story. BUt, of course I'm a trendsetter, I hated Goodell before it was cool and okay.

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3vho8ato said:
OkieHawk":3vho8ato said:
It's information that anti-NFL/anti-Goodell people won't want to know about, that's for sure. I am actually legitimately curious to see how some people spin this; a press corps purposely declining to get additional pertinent information about an accused cover-up. I mean, is this a first in the history of the media, or what?

I guess the biggest thing for me is this, it was definitely plausible that the NFL had witnessed the video, and then decided to cover it up to cover their collective asses. It fits in with the Goodell "Defend the Shield" mantra. I still think that it is plausible that someone had to have watched it, as logically, it makes no sense that they wouldn't have. If you as the head of a multi-billion dollar organization doesn't do the necessary research before handing down some form of punishment, then you have failed, and should be fired.

All in all it's one big fustercluck.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'm actually not even 100% convinced that nobody in the NFL saw the video before its public release. I'm on the side that it probably wasn't seen by anybody, but I'm a natural skeptic.

The AP declining that offer is EXTREMELY telling, though; and frankly, it makes it impossible to just lay all the blame on the NFL for any reasonable person.

I think we can all agree that Ray Rice is a piece of crap with a problem regardless, though, and that this is all his fault. :)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I mean, the supposed "smoking gun" was the AP story that the NFL received the full video and then made a call to an unnamed "law enforcement official" confirming receipt. The AP refused to divulge their source (understandable), so that forced the independent committee to literally call all 938 people who received phone calls from the league office on the date in question. They couldn't identify a single unexplained phone call. They offered to turn over the phone records (which were probably sourced from the phone company, not the NFL) to the AP so they could do their own cross-check of the records. It would've been fairly simple for them to cross-check the phone number for their source with a numbers on the phone record without divulging the source itself. The AP declined.

People who say, "well, the NFL paid for this outside investigation, so it's clearly biased!" Okay, so what's the alternative? These things cost money. Unless you want your tax dollars used to fund a government sweep of the NFL offices, then this is what you get. The committee giving the AP a chance to corroborate or contradict its findings re: the video tape was a good move. If the AP has better information but were unwilling to participate, then that's on them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2m0t4bid said:

Also, in before Hernia rants about Goodell's ability to orchestrate the entire world with this investigation. :lol:
Nice to see you are still sticking up for your boy! :)
At least you are consistant. 8)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3jdmqxtm said:
Nice to see you are still sticking up for your boy! :)
At least you are consistant. 8)
*Consistent.

Also, I know you won't believe it, but he's really not my boy. I just think people should be vilified for things they deserve. God knows there's enough available on most major public figures to slap them around legitimately with.

pehawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1i083oes said:
I mean, the supposed "smoking gun" was the AP story that the NFL received the full video and then made a call to an unnamed "law enforcement official" confirming receipt. The AP refused to divulge their source (understandable), so that forced the independent committee to literally call all 938 people who received phone calls from the league office on the date in question. They couldn't identify a single unexplained phone call. They offered to turn over the phone records (which were probably sourced from the phone company, not the NFL) to the AP so they could do their own cross-check of the records. It would've been fairly simple for them to cross-check the phone number for their source with a numbers on the phone record without divulging the source itself. The AP declined.

People who say, "well, the NFL paid for this outside investigation, so it's clearly biased!" Okay, so what's the alternative? These things cost money. Unless you want your tax dollars used to fund a government sweep of the NFL offices, then this is what you get. The committee giving the AP a chance to corroborate or contradict its findings re: the video tape was a good move. If the AP has better information but were unwilling to participate, then that's on them.

Cell phones too? Serious question.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1h8z84wz said:

The fact that the NFL paid for the outside investigation, and then used a connected investigator instead of someone truly independent told us all we needed to know about this whole dog and pony show..........it's a joke.

IMO it doesn't matter. The players don't trust Goodell, the public doesn't trust Goodell, and he loses in the court of public opinion............so it doesn't matter how much money he stuffs into the owner's pockets, they're going to find another commissioner IMO in the next couple of years. Maybe quicker if the league office keeps bungling suspensions.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I do believe Sgt. Largent is willfully ignoring the AP's refusal to receive extra information about a supposed cover-up.

Tells us a lot about him.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
pehawk":245t633s said:
DavidSeven":245t633s said:

Cell phones too? Serious question.

I haven't read the full report, but the snippet I read indicated they only checked calls made through the league office. Not sure what the privacy implications are of the committee demanding personal call records of all NFL employees, plus you'd miss disposable cells anyway? The original AP story said a female NFL employee called the "law enforcement official" and left a voicemail confirming receipt of the full Ray Rice tape. To me, it seems reasonable to assume that a call like that would only come from the league office, unless the caller assumed this whole thing would blow up eventually so she made the call from a disposable or personal cell -- but that's kind of ridiculous, why even leave a voicemail if that was a concern at the time?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ymffkr2 said:
I do believe Sgt. Largent is willfully ignoring the AP's refusal to receive extra information about a supposed cover-up.

Tells us a lot about him.

Thanks for making judgement calls on my character.

The AP is NEVER going to reveal sources, it's the cornerstone of their entire industry. That doesn't mean the reporters were lying, it means the AP is protecting their writers and reporters from revealing decades of gathering sources and information contacts.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3w0ye5gf said:

But, but, but Roger Goodell is the enemy! Not Ray Rice...or how some would like it portrayed...

I swear people care more about what Goodell does than some of the players that do heinous things. I bet Ray Rice would win a likability poll vs Goodell if fans/media members voted on it.

pehawk

Reaction score
Goodell sucks, period. I remember when I wrote for the old scout site I wasn't allowed to write an article ripping him, because, well, it was so "bizarre".

That said, I don't blame Goodell for anything related to this incident. Even if it came out Goodell not only saw the tape, but invited friends over to watch it on a big screen with popcorn and recorded laughter, I wouldn't care. Why are we requiring the NFL to police their employees and/or be a moral compass? We expect Goodell to undue 18 years of bad parenting? So what if Ray Rice is an asshole...it has nothing to do with football? It's corny we all feign outrage and make it that way.

Oh, and yeah, I'm not sure I'd believe anything the AP or the league says.

Latest posts