Fake Punt in this situation was never done before

Cartire

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/fbgchase/status/524316703983804417[/tweet]

So for everyone that "knew" it was going to happen, remember that It sure doesnt happen often (or ever).

pehawk

Reaction score
I saw Fisher do it from within his own 20 in SF just last year. While technically it's never been done, Fisher pretty much did it on the road last year. And, kearly's explanations of why that call made all the sense in the world was brilliant and telling.

There really wasn't any excuse for them to be caught like that. At least, not in my opinion.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I mean yeah it was unprecedented .. but given Fisher's history against us, where he literally has run a fake at home every year he's been coach there.. they should have at least had punt return safe on. Don't even give them a look where they are inclined to run it.

Most fakes are only run if you come out in a certain formation.. I'm sure had we come out in a PR safe formation of some sort.. they'd have audibled out of it and punted it back. Where, the way Russell was locked in, we're winning that football game.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
The problem I have with it is that most punt returns are like 8 yards. There was very little gain on the back end especially with Walters. I wish they would have just played straight up defense. Maybe they can just play Earl as a single high safety but put him back far enough to catch the fair catch the punt in the more likely event they do punt it. You can't leave yourself exposed like that though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If Smith just sacks the damn QB, this never happens.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'll contend this was one of those hindsight is 20/20 deals. Everyone is a coaching genius with hindsight. The fact is that Fisher gambled the entire game on a special teams gadget play and would've been killed if it failed. Sure, Fisher has bamboozled Carroll and Harbaugh on some buffoonery over the last two years, but what else has he done with that team?

Up 2, a fake punt inside your 20 with 1 minute left is balls-to-the-wall crazy. Last year, St. Louis attempted one against SF while down two scores from their own 22 with 15 minutes left in the game. Totally different scenario, but even then, it was crazy.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
pehawk":2pcrl2qv said:
I saw Fisher do it from within his own 20 in SF just last year. While technically it's never been done, Fisher pretty much did it on the road last year. And, kearly's explanations of why that call made all the sense in the world was brilliant and telling.

There really wasn't any excuse for them to be caught like that. At least, not in my opinion.

With 3 minutes left winning by 2? I dont ever remember that.

I remember them trailing SF when he did it. That makes it an entirely different situation.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Isnt he the guy who snuck a player on the field by the sideline for a fake not so long ago??

He would have been laughed out of the league had that failed yesterday. fine line between dumb and brilliant.

I get the Pete should have been ready for it line, I yelled it myself yesterday, but the more I think about it, the more Pete himself probably thought Fisher is crazy, but not THIS crazy lol

RedAlice

Reaction score
Hawkpower":fmyhirdp said:
Isnt he the guy who snuck a player on the field by the sideline for a fake not so long ago??

He would have been laughed out of the league had that failed yesterday. fine line between dumb and brilliant.

I get the Pete should have been ready for it line, I yelled it myself yesterday, but the more I think about it, the more Pete himself probably thought Fisher is crazy, but not THIS crazy lol

Yes. Hekker practices for when he gets to throw, and even said so in interviews last year. I think was also v Hawks before. In St. Louis.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400554257

It certainly surprised the Seattle Seahawks, even though they've seen it before.

"That's pretty sweet," Hekker said of the pass to a wide-open Benny Cunningham that helped the Rams run out the clock and beat the defending Super Bowl champions 28-26 on Sunday. "We've been practicing that play for a long time."

Hekker is a former high school quarterback and is the holder on place kicks. His TD pass on a fake field goal to Danny Amendola, who'd pretended to jog off the field, was the go-ahead score and the lone touchdown for the Rams in a 19-13 win over Seattle in September 2012.

The Seahawks were familiar with the fake punt/pass but didn't expect trickery in that situation. They got fooled more than once.

SeahawksForever

Reaction score
HA! I literally just had this conversation with a co-worker. He said he knew the fake punt was coming.

Boiler

Reaction score
I was visiting my folks in Montana and have my dad as my witness. When the ball got batted down on third down I said, "Now it's up to Russell Wilson... Just please watch out for the fake punt." Not that I'm an NFL expert or anything, but I have suffered through decades of exactly that KIND of stuff happening to the Seahawks. I believe anyone else around here who says they saw that coming.

camdawg

Reaction score
RedAlice":2gznjm33 said:
Hekker is a former high school quarterback and is the holder on place kicks. His TD pass on a fake field goal to Danny Amendola, who'd pretended to jog off the field, was the go-ahead score and the lone touchdown for the Rams in a 19-13 win over Seattle in September 2012.

The Seahawks were familiar with the fake punt/pass but didn't expect trickery in that situation. They got fooled more than once.

Johnny was actually pretty good as a HS QB. Could've probably played 1AA ball if he insisted on being a QB, rather than a punter.

And he played in the KIngco Conference near Seattle, which both Jim and Pete recruited players out of. They both know what he's capable of.....so it's shocking Johnny's beaten them both multiple times.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":bu2nm5wl said:

Losing teams go for it in the 4th quarter, from anywhere on the field, there's no shock there whatsoever. The reason this one is different, is that it's the first time a team has gone for it when a field goal would cost them the game and they'd be well in field goal range if they didn't make it.

With that said, and I'm funny it's not mentioned more, but Fisher basically came out and said that they weren't going to be able to stop our offense from going down the field and scoring if they punted the ball. Not only is that telling about our offense, but it also says a lot about his lack of confidence in his own defense.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Cartire":w30pyz7o said:

So for everyone that "knew" it was going to happen, remember that It sure doesnt happen often (or ever).

I must be a frikken telepath then, because I said he was going to do EXACTLY WHAT HE DID, so yes, I can HONESTLY say "I KNEW". :roll:
The time into the game had NOTHING, to do with Fisher and his Rams doing exactly what he did to the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS BEFORE, only difference?, they faked a punt for three points, and threw the damned ball for a TD.
I remember distinctly when Pete was running up and trying to get the brain dead Ref's attention.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
scutterhawk":32opwubu said:
Cartire":32opwubu said:

I must be a frikken telepath then, because I said he was going to do EXACTLY WHAT HE DID, so yes, I can HONESTLY say "I KNEW". :roll:
The time into the game had NOTHING, to do with Fisher and his Rams doing exactly what he did to the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS BEFORE, only difference?, they faked a punt for three points, and threw the damned ball for a TD.
I remember distinctly when Pete was running up and trying to get the brain dead Ref's attention.

Except theres a huge difference when/where its done.

Had it not worked, and we got the ball in already FG range, you can gauruntee Fisher would have been run out of town and not looked at like "A genius".

Its one thing to do it in the middle of the game. Its one thing to do it when your down and need to convert.

Its an entirely different thing to do it when youre winning by 2 and you do it on your own 22 yard line. Never has been done before for a reason. Its the highest risk play you could make. If the play doesnt work, you just handed your lead away and the game. And everyone in the NFL would look at Fisher as the biggest idiot ever.

But it worked, so hindsight makes it apparently predictable.

It was a dumb call that luckily worked out, and thats all there is to it.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
I think this is the exact type of play that it takes to beat us. Even when we think we suck, other teams need to be at or near perfection to beat us. Think about that for a minute.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I sure didn't see it coming but in hindsight, sure should have. Wilson was on fire and with Haush kicking as well as ever, I don't think many of us thought we'd lose the game when our D stopped them on 3rd down. Fish obviously felt the same and it was one of the most brilliant, bold play calls I've seen in quite some time. Had they not extended the drive, they would have lost and Fish prevented that end.

As for him being roasted had he not converted? I don't think so. You'd have to think the overwhelming majority of Rams fans (and team) felt the game was over when the punter trotted out to his position.

I like the fact Pete owned the oversight and all we can do is do better next time.

suppaball

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1b8zn3l5 said:
If Smith just sacks the damn QB, this never happens.
My grandpa once told me " If I had breasts I'd be your grandma." No more ifs please the ifs don't happen hence if.