Outplayed But Still A Win If Not For The Great Williams Play

chet380

Reaction score
It would have been an ugly win, but if Williams didn't make that superb catch, it would have been 4th and 20 and the Hawks probably would have won -- woulda, coulda, shoulda. Oh well.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Irvin had Romo dead to rights.

If that was Clemons, it would have been a sack.

Oh well.

chawx

Reaction score
Yup. This guy gets it.

For how bad we played, for how "fundamentally flawed" our team is, for how bad a game our OC called, for how terrible Percy was stuffed at the line and unable to get past the 20 on kickoffs except for one time, for how much Dallas looked to impose it's will on us and dominate at the LOS, for losing BWagz for a spell and Maxwell for the game, the Cowboys still had to convert a tip-toe 3rd and 20 to allow themselves the chance to win that game.

Had we forced a punt, there's no doubt in my mind that we either run that clock out on a couple first downs or we force a FG and get it into OT where it's anyones game.

We were literally a blade of grass or two away from walking out of the clink with an "ugly" win against a 4-1 team...

Reality check time people. Take a breath.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Tru dat! People forget how close this team was last year to several ugly losses that became ugly wins. TB, HT. Even the Carolina game was close top being an ugly loss.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just another play to add to Irvin's he's almost good body of work.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it was a guaranteed win, but yea they would have had a great shot to win it. I could see them getting the stop on 3rd and 20, fielding the punt inside the 20, going 3 and out or perhaps getting 1 first down and then punting, and Dallas having 1 more shot with 1-2 minutes left. Anything could have happened but you to like their odds at least if they get that stop.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We also got two completely gift fumbles (not counting the blocked punt) that kept us in the game.

Our offense did not keep us in the game.

So it would have not so much been a win but the Cowboys imploding that won it.

The point of concern is that the Cowboys DID implode but we STILL couldn't win it.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
They did what they had to do to win the game. We did not do what we had to do to win the game.

Games like this, there are tons of moments where we could look back and say "if only". For example, what if Wilson hangs onto the ball on his early run left, instead of bouncing it?

We have had numerous examples of where a miraculous sideline catch gives us the opportunity to win games, when the other team thought they had us dead to rights. We were just on the wrong end of this one.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
chet380":3s98ys1s said:
It would have been an ugly win, but if Williams didn't make that superb catch, it would have been 4th and 20 and the Hawks probably would have won -- woulda, coulda, shoulda. Oh well.

Not necessarily, the way the offense was sputtering.. there's no telling what could have happened. We got the ball twice with a shot to win/tie it up.. I imagine the Cowboys would have had another possession or two as well.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Was a hell of a play by Romo and Williams to be fair

Popeyejones

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":37tmrt56 said:
We also got two completely gift fumbles (not counting the blocked punt) that kept us in the game.

Our offense did not keep us in the game.

So it would have not so much been a win but the Cowboys imploding that won it.

The point of concern is that the Cowboys DID implode but we STILL couldn't win it.

Yeah, the downside of the "if just for this one play" game is that you can swap out another "just one play" and it's a multi-score loss.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The Hawks played an absolutely atrocious game. We can boil it down to one incredible play, but I don't think "They played like hell and still had a shot!" applies here since the Cowboys literally handed us the ball twice in striking range.

Our offense put together 2 FG drives all day, and the D gave up 30 points at home. Think about that. We didn't even sniff the end zone until we were given the ball in the red zone.

A truly awful game, probably the worst one of the current era.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2pk5t3tb said:
Just another play to add to Irvin's he's almost good body of work.

To be fair to Irvin that's not the first time a defender has been made to look silly by Romo with that exact move.

Just last week Romo did the same thing to JJ Watt, probably the best defensive player on the planet right now.

It happens to a lot of defenders.

OP
OP
C

chet380

Reaction score
chet380":1pqlxbl0 said:

I take it back -- just saw the replay -- not much of a chance that we wouldn't have given the ball back if Dallas had kicked on 4th down -- we really got our butts kicked.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'm glad they were still in a position to compete yesterday, but it was a loss. There were several games that went stupid like this last year that were won (Kearly pointed this out in his weekly PSA).

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
chawx":3ghnvehf said:
Yup. This guy gets it.

For how bad we played, for how "fundamentally flawed" our team is, for how bad a game our OC called, for how terrible Percy was stuffed at the line and unable to get past the 20 on kickoffs except for one time, for how much Dallas looked to impose it's will on us and dominate at the LOS, for losing BWagz for a spell and Maxwell for the game, the Cowboys still had to convert a tip-toe 3rd and 20 to allow themselves the chance to win that game.

Had we forced a punt, there's no doubt in my mind that we either run that clock out on a couple first downs or we force a FG and get it into OT where it's anyones game.

We were literally a blade of grass or two away from walking out of the clink with an "ugly" win against a 4-1 team...

Reality check time people. Take a breath.
So you're saying it wasn't the two fumbles and the blocked punt for a TD, which generated 17 of our 23 points, that made us a blade of grass away from an ugly win?

Cuz I kinda look at it like despite the fact that we scored 17 points off of turnovers, we still got beat, in our house, by the Cowboys. Not really acceptable and a piss poor showing by the Hawks.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2dz5jpb6 said:
Was a hell of a play by Romo and Williams to be fair

Yup. It was the perfect defensive call. Irvin ran straight at Romo and got enough of him that most QBs would have been sacked. It really was the perfect Defense.

But Romo has a history of being tough to bring down and we saw it firsthand. He made a great effort to not get sacked and then threw a perfect ball. Williams made an amazing catch that would have been an incompletion 9 times out of 10.

That was just an amazing play by them, I find it hard to be mad at the Defense about it today. I think the 3rd and 20 hurts so much because we failed on 3rd down all day, so the frustration had built up.

But really, you couldn't ask our D to play that any better than they did. Maybe Burley could have had a little tighter coverage on Williams, but that is nitpicking. He had been flushed to the sideline and just made an amazing catch.