"I feel like we’re not as explosive as we could be." -ADB

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
The sign of a champion.....never satisfied.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
What's funny is we led the NFL in toxic differential last year, we're already the most explosive team in the NFL; though Philly did have two more explosive plays than we did, so technically their offense "won"; but we had way more turnovers recovered on defense, so.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1lv41i9o said:
What's funny is we led the NFL in toxic differential last year, we're already the most explosive team in the NFL; though Philly did have two more explosive plays than we did, so technically their offense "won"; but we had way more turnovers recovered on defense, so.

I would expect that the offense will have to shoulder the load on this for the coming year. I would not expect the same kind of interception numbers if the current emphases are observed through the year. A huge component of our toxic differential is being legislated out of the equation.

I expect the team will do precisely that however. This offense looks like they can turn busted plays into 5-8 yard plays. I can't recall ever having the kind of expectations for our offense than I do this year. They look incredibly dominant.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":18dj7lt1 said:
RolandDeschain":18dj7lt1 said:

I would expect that the offense will have to shoulder the load on this for the coming year. I would not expect the same kind of interception numbers if the current emphases are observed through the year. A huge component of our toxic differential is being legislated out of the equation.

I expect the team will do precisely that however. This offense looks like they can turn busted plays into 5-8 yard plays. I can't recall ever having the kind of expectations for our offense than I do this year. They look incredibly dominant.

So, because the interception numbers MAY decline for all NFL teams because of the new emphasis on defensive holding, the offense will have to carry us? Sorry, but I call BS. Seattle is the only team so far with ZERO defensive holding calls. Sounds like the emphasis is impacting us the least. Our guys will still get interceptions. Just because they cant tug a jersey doesn't mean they still cant get in position to get the ball.

I think it's clear based on the play in preseason that our offense is more explosive. But i just don't see our defense being so bad that the offense has to carry them.

sutz

Reaction score
lsheldon":1gosajsm said:
So, because the interception numbers MAY decline for all NFL teams because of the new emphasis on defensive holding, the offense will have to carry us? Sorry, but I call BS. Seattle is the only team so far with ZERO defensive holding calls. Sounds like the emphasis is impacting us the least. Our guys will still get interceptions. Just because they cant tug a jersey doesn't mean they still cant get in position to get the ball.

I think it's clear based on the play in preseason that our offense is more explosive. But i just don't see our defense being so bad that the offense has to carry them.
This ^^^

I will say, though, that if the O needs to 'carry the load' for one game, or even a couple, they look entirely capable of doing so. But I agree with lsheldon here, neither outfit will have to 'carry the load' for the entire season. It's what I love about the team. While everyone focuses on our D in SBXLVIII, our O was pretty good, too, scoring almost at will.

FTM, our ST could (and probably will) win us a couple of games this year. From what I've seen in the pre, we're strong in all three major facets of the game.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
lsheldon":11lwzbtl said:
Attyla the Hawk":11lwzbtl said:
RolandDeschain":11lwzbtl said:

I don't think you understood me in the least.

I said I expect our pick rates to drop. That would be natural if the contact is called more closely. That's a big aspect to our success. Bigger to us than other teams. If Seattle has to adjust by loosening coverages doesn't it follow that we will lose opportunities to make plays on the ball?

If we lose a portion of that avenue for big plays, then it stands to reason that we'd have to make that up elsewhere. In the toxic differential calculation, our total benefited far more with turnovers -- interceptions being a key.

I still think we will be near the top of the league in interceptions. I just think it'll be far less than it was last year. Relatively speaking, I still expect excellence from out secondary. Everyone will likely see their pick rates drop if contact is called heavily this year.

Since most of the other teams on that list were there as a result of offensive big plays -- I would expect there to be even more opportunites with looser coverages in general. Seattle will benefit from that as well. And I think we're really well equipped to explode in that area this year.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":pz14lwk4 said:
lsheldon":pz14lwk4 said:
Attyla the Hawk":pz14lwk4 said:
RolandDeschain":pz14lwk4 said:

I don't think you understood me in the least.

I said I expect our pick rates to drop. That would be natural if the contact is called more closely. That's a big aspect to our success. Bigger to us than other teams. If Seattle has to adjust by loosening coverages doesn't it follow that we will lose opportunities to make plays on the ball?

If we lose a portion of that avenue for big plays, then it stands to reason that we'd have to make that up elsewhere. In the toxic differential calculation, our total benefited far more with turnovers -- interceptions being a key.

I still think we will be near the top of the league in interceptions. I just think it'll be far less than it was last year. Relatively speaking, I still expect excellence from out secondary. Everyone will likely see their pick rates drop if contact is called heavily this year.

Since most of the other teams on that list were there as a result of offensive big plays -- I would expect there to be even more opportunites with looser coverages in general. Seattle will benefit from that as well. And I think we're really well equipped to explode in that area this year.

Go back and read your post. In the very first sentence you state that you expect the offense is going to have to shoulder the load this year. All because our interception rate MAY decline. There still is no proof it will. I just don't see it.