bwag..LB nickname

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Funny thing about it is that Wagner never said anything about wanting a nickname for the LB corps. A reporter asked him about a nickname for the LBs and he addressed the question saying that the LB unit would have to earn it and further went on to say that all the guys on the LOB are pro bowlers and that's why they earned it. He talked about standing out as a unit and standing out individually, but never once stated that he wanted to have a nickname.

I've never read Yardbarker and most people probably shouldn't. This being a prime example. Although bad reporting is hardly new or proprietary.

Also, the NASCAR thing you're talking about refers to our nickel pass rushing DL and I don't think that one actually has Hawk origins. I think the Giants were the first to use it with their nickel pass rushing DL.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3fe6kj10 said:
Funny thing about it is that Wagner never said anything about wanting a nickname for the LB corps. A reporter asked him about a nickname for the LBs and he addressed the question saying that the LB unit would have to earn it and further went on to say that all the guys on the LOB are pro bowlers and that's why they earned it. He talked about standing out as a unit and standing out individually, but never once stated that he wanted to have a nickname.

I've never read Yardbarker and most people probably shouldn't. This being a prime example. Although bad reporting is hardly new or proprietary.

Also, the NASCAR thing you're talking about refers to our nickel pass rushing DL and I don't think that one actually has Hawk origins. I think the Giants were the first to use it with their nickel pass rushing DL.
Correct NASCAR pkg is from the Giants superbowl team... I love me some bobby Wagner, Can't wait to see him this year, if he doesn't make the probowl this year it'll be a shame.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Nicknames are cool when they just happen as part of a natural progression.
No ill intended towards the OP but quite frankly I don't understand the obsession with the whole nickname thing.
I'm not aware of any of the players saying I/we want a nickname.
Personally I'd rather forget most of the things that the Seahawks have been called over the years.
Just tossing a couple of pennies into the ring.

grizbob

Reaction score
pmedic920":3obp7zkt said:
Nicknames are cool when they just happen as part of a natural progression.
No ill intended towards the OP but quite frankly I don't understand the obsession with the whole nickname thing.
I'm not aware of any of the players saying I/we want a nickname.
Personally I'd rather forget most of the things that the Seahawks have been called over the years.
Just tossing a couple of pennies into the ring.

YUP, exactly what I think I think :th2thumbs:

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I find it mildly disappointing that The "Legion of Boom" isn't a nickname for the entire seahawks defense . Since this is a team game and all

OP
OP
BGHawk

BGHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1bd2hlct said:

I stand corrected, I do remember that now, Yardbarker got me again.. and Im not obsessed with a nickname for them, just misunderstood the reporting..thanks

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":1x7d35iy said:
I find it mildly disappointing that The "Legion of Boom" isn't a nickname for the entire seahawks defense . Since this is a team game and all

Sherman and Earl both stated after the SB that the LOB is not just the secondary but the entire Defense. But I think it's too ingrained that LOB = secondary.

chris98251

Reaction score
Nicknames come from personalities or accomplishments, our secondary has both, our LB's and D line are rotational in plays and players. Big reason a nickname doesn't stick for a unit. You had the Heater for a while before he went to the Saints but then again that one came about from his team and what he did in practice etc. In fact it's rare to hear a LB nickname as a player, most are know for being great but not given a nickname. Singletary, Butkus,Ulracher, all great players but never a nick name I can remember. The Boz was one but that was generated from his college days.

Defensive fronts have had nicknames, Steel Curtain, Fearsome Foursome, Purple People Eaters. The most notorious.

In fact units rarely get names as much as individual players do like Beastmode.

BASF

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":8oqvu73g said:

Raible has called the entire defense the Legion Of Boom at least a couple of times.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":8v1an7or said:
EastCoastHawksFan":8v1an7or said:

Sherman and Earl both stated after the SB that the LOB is not just the secondary but the entire Defense. But I think it's too ingrained that LOB = secondary.

But when YOU think LOB, it's our secondary. If not, well, cool, but everyone else in the world does. LOB was Sherman, ET, Kam, and Browner. Maxwell is auditioning now that BB is gone. Look up LOB, you'll find posters of the secondary.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
MrCarey":1nha6nqc said:
Trenchbroom":1nha6nqc said:
EastCoastHawksFan":1nha6nqc said:

But when YOU think LOB, it's our secondary. If not, well, cool, but everyone else in the world does. LOB was Sherman, ET, Kam, and Browner. Maxwell is auditioning now that BB is gone. Look up LOB, you'll find posters of the secondary.

Agreed, although if this remains an elite defense for a few more years I think there's time to change the talking point so that the whole defense is under the same umbrella.

Basis4day

Reaction score
We don't need to have a nickname for everything.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
couple things:

LoB is always gonna be the secondary

Nicknames ARE earned, however they have to start somewhere. "legion of boom" didn't just magically appear in a fortune cookie one day; there were discussions just like this one.

Lastly, our linebackers are good but are they historical nickname worthy? I don't know. There was a point last season, and even against NO in the playoffs, where they got ran over fairly well by some no-name running backs. I love wagner, and we can't forget our SB MVP came from that group. I dunno about all this nickname business though.

Latest posts