Creed Humphrey/Dee Eskridge

GemCity

Reaction score
Trading down and not picking Montez Sweat when they were desperate for pass rushers after trading Frank Clark was also an overlooked pivotal mistake.

They spent so many years neglecting the trenches.
We got LJ dawg!

Pffttt…no problem.

😢.

Sarcasm btw…totally agree with you.

GemCity

Reaction score
Eskridge has proven he was a bad pick, never healthy, unreliable, of dubious character. Humphrey otoh is unquestionably a talented OC and a Pro Bowl quality player.

The team chose the wrong guy, end of story, little else to say.

Eskridge is now down to his last chance here, he probably will get injured and it will then be over for him. It’d be nice to see something from him but seriously I think he’s just another athlete with some ability that couldn’t hack the physicality of pro football. I expect nothing from him he doesn’t have the stuff.
If we put him on kick/punt returns, and teach him to run it out of bounds immediately so he doesn’t get hit…..

……I bet he averages more yards than DJ Dallas.

😝.

KinesProf

Reaction score
This just reminded of how underwhelming the Jaguars did with back to back 1st overall picks.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Honestly the Hawks had been missing the plot in the draft for years. Pete and JS had a vision that just wasn't working out. Being cute with picks and signings when obvious common sense was in need. They only changed the last couple of years when they absolutely had to.

A lot of teams go through it though. It's not just Seattle.

getnasty

Reaction score
Stupid! You can literally go through ever pick in history and say something about it. Not gonna change anything.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It was a total Pete pick he loved flash over the real deal that actually helpa the only person you actually overpay ie. your quarterback.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It was a total Pete pick he loved flash over the real deal that actually helpa the only person you actually overpay ie. your quarterback.
We can't really be acting like John isn't prone to whimsy as well. They were clearly trying to get Waldron a versatile WR3 because he comes from the Rams tree that lives in 11 personnel.

Not a coincidence that the Rams took Tutu Atwell with the next pick. It's not a want in that offensive tree, it's a need.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
let it go skydive GIF by Red Bull

morgulon1

Reaction score
Ever since the 2021 draft, this pick debacle shows up in threads here and there. I was cleaning some stuff out the other day and ran across a ‘21 predraft magazine. Granted, these magazines are not always the best source for NFL prospective talent but they do provide a pretty good sense of of players available.

In the magazine I looked at, Trevor Lawrence was the overall number one pick in their list of top 100 prospects. Humphrey was number 56 and Eskridge didn’t make the top 100.

Eskridge was however, number 28 amongst the available WRs. As I perused the lists generated by position, it occurred to me that after two NFL seasons there aren’t a lot of household names among these guys. There’s the 4-5 QBs starting that outside of Lawrence probably won’t last much past a possible second contract.

This isn’t a post about QBs and their draft viability. What I took out of going through these lists is that there is a strong chance that Creed Humphrey could end up the best pick out of this entire class. Each position lists anywhere from 10(C)-30(CBs) guys as they have them ranked. I counted about 15 guys that could be considered, as of now fairly solid picks. I don’t follow every team closely and don’t really know how a lot of these picks are performing for their teams, but there just aren’t many household names out of this draft two years later.

Not only was picking Eskridge over Humphrey a bad decision, he was not even the best WR they could have gotten.

My thoughts on this draft went back to the Russell Wilson affect on this team. Going into that draft, RW was advocating for help. One could argue that WR help would be right at the top of his list.

Was RW advocating for a center or WR? Part of me thinks the pick could have been a big symbolic middle finger to Wilson. Maybe Pete and John heard Russ telling them he needed more weapons but only because he wanted to do things his way. They knew what they wanted to do and knew he was slowing down and losing that escapability that was such a big part of his game. They knew that a better line would help his game but he didn’t want to play their game.

In retrospect it was such a huge draft miss that something else had to be in play. The o line sucked and needed to be rebuilt. Unless they felt like they could wait until after RW was gone and they just kept bowing to Mr Limited.

The draft in and of itself is a crapshoot. If teams thought Humphrey was going to be as good as he is, why did he last into the second round? The bigger question is who the hell had Eskridge ranked so high?!
I have no earthly idea who pulled the trigger on Mr Eskridge. The way PC ignored the offensive line makes me think it was Petey Pete trying to help
#3 out by bringing him another weapon.
The only thing that would make me consider it being a Schneider move is the fact that he kept him around for this season.

Damn I love football

Optimus25

Reaction score
That’s focusing on the wrong Chiefs pick. We knew damn well we were coming into a LB conundrum in the coming years and so for the life of me i have no idea why we left nick bolton on the board for a random luxury WR pick we had zero need for.