Bennett and Avril

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Re-watching the 2013 season in detail....

Wow, are we lucky to have these two guys. Awareness, speed, strength. smarts and play making.

Great stuff from #72 and #56 last season. I really hope we can keep Avril after this season.

Jville

Reaction score
In addition to their contributions on the field, I'm excited about their influence on emerging understudies. The growing and maturing depth at 3 technique and the end positions looks very promising.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Jville":1o6qy39f said:
In addition to their contributions on the field, I'm excited about their influence on emerging understudies. The growing and maturing depth at 3 technique and the end positions looks very promising.

Agreed. I'm hoping they really rub off on Scruggs, Hill and Williams.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Avril really impressed me with his nose for the ball. How many times did he force a fumble when we needed it?

drdiags

Reaction score
I am surprised there hasn't been some rumbling from the Avril camp about re-doing his contract. I know Bennett was talking him up on the stadium floor after the Super Bowl, saying they both needed to get paid. Avril didn't seem to disagree.

The guy has a knack for stripping the ball and raising havoc. He is going to get that big payday next year is safe bet in my eyes.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Agreed w/ all the above. Also of note is how well the work together. Sometimes players seem to just possess a special kind of chemistry and these two really do. Always seems one is doing hitting/stripping and the other is in position to clean up the loose balls. I would also really like to see these two stay together for future years...hate to break up a great pair.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Bennett and Avril were everywhere for us last year. I can't think of two FA signings that had a greater impact on their teams' Super Bowl season. We would not have won the Super Bowl without them. That's how big an impact they had.

Really hope we can find a way to keep Avril, but I think he's going to make a lot of money next offseason and I don't know if we will have room in the budget with the Wilson extension.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1j8pwg59 said:
Bennett and Avril were everywhere for us last year. I can't think of two FA signings that had a greater impact on their teams' Super Bowl season. We would not have won the Super Bowl without them. That's how big an impact they had.

Really hope we can find a way to keep Avril, but I think he's going to make a lot of money next offseason and I don't know if we will have room in the budget with the Wilson extension.
He said in interviews he wants to stay here. I think JS will get it done.
Cliff was an unstoppable monster in XLVIII! Remember he went from an 0-16 team to being a Super Bowl champion in just a few years time. He is the master of the strip sack.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Avril has 21 forced fumbles in his career. He had five last season while mostly rushing from the strongside as a rotational player. Imagine how many forced fumbles he will produce as a full-time starter rushing into a QB's blindside, with Bennett charging in from the opposite direction. He has a genuine opportunity to approach Charles Tillman's single-season record for forced fumbles (10).

The moment Avril strip/sacked Kaepernick in his debut in week two, I knew we had a damn good chance to win a Super Bowl.

kearly

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2u2o95hz said:
The Hammer and The Sickle.

Avril and Bennett are best when working together. Komrads.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2cfarlfw said:
He said in interviews he wants to stay here. I think JS will get it done.

This doesn't mean a lot. Almost every player says this of their current team. Tate is the most recent example. He went out of his way multiple times to say he wanted to be a Seahawk and didn't want to go anywhere.

Once another team backs up the money truck, that usually is enough to make a guy go elsewhere.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
HawkFan72":aq8a93x2 said:
Once another team backs up the money truck, that usually is enough to make a guy go elsewhere.

There's nothing quite like dollar bills to make an "attitude adjustment" pop up ought of nowhere!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Obviously "I'd like to stay here" can be loosely interpreted as "money being equal, I would probably stay here."

BlueTalon

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":11w43k27 said:
Obviously "I'd like to stay here" can be loosely interpreted as "money being equal, I would probably stay here."
Or something close, anyway.

Sports Hernia":11w43k27 said:
Remember he went from an 0-16 team to being a Super Bowl champion in just a few years time.
This. It's not that he wouldn't go to another team for a lucrative offer, but he is going to be picky about what team he would go to. I don't think he'd do it for a team he wasn't absolutely convinced would win a lot.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":h76w9dgl said:
Sports Hernia":h76w9dgl said:
Remember he went from an 0-16 team to being a Super Bowl champion in just a few years time.
This. It's not that he wouldn't go to another team for a lucrative offer, but he is going to be picky about what team he would go to. I don't think he'd do it for a team he wasn't absolutely convinced would win a lot.

Of course, you could look at the flipside and think that now that he has a ring, he will always be an NFL champion. That can never be taken away from him, so that opens up the possibility of leaving for the big payday. After all, I imagine that the two main goals of every NFL player are:

1. Win a Super Bowl
2. Earn a deal that sets you and your family up for life

I would think that the HoF, multiple championships, etc. all have their place as well, but I do think that winning that first championship takes a lot of the pressure off of the "winning" aspect of future contract decisions.

Latest posts