Bennett and Avril

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":kg5tybam said:
Re-watching the 2013 season in detail....

Wow, are we lucky to have these two guys. Awareness, speed, strength. smarts and play making.

Great stuff from #72 and #56 last season. I really hope we can keep Avril after this season.
Too many contracts coming up in the next offseason, mainly Wilson. Start preparing yourself now for post-partum vis-a-vis Avril.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seahawks have enough money to re-sign Avril next off-season. Beyond a Wilson extension, I would imagine Avril being the top priority. D-line is basically the one area where this team will freely spend money on veteren players, rather than rely too heavily on young and cheap talent.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Has anyone heard if Avril will stay at left end in nickel packages or if they plan to flip him over to right end where he dominated right tackles last year?

I know Clemons stayed mostly at left end, but moving Avril over would get quality snaps for Schofield/Irvin/Mayowa who could potentially take over at the starting LEO spot if Avril is unsigned.

RussJames

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2llrsxsk said:
Has anyone heard if Avril will stay at left end in nickel packages or if they plan to flip him over to right end where he dominated right tackles last year?

I know Clemons stayed mostly at left end, but moving Avril over would get quality snaps for Schofield/Irvin/Mayowa who could potentially take over at the starting LEO spot if Avril is unsigned.

Clemons played weakside (right end [LEO]) his whole career with us.

I don't think it's about getting guys quality snaps as much as it's about playing the best players at their best positions.

A few reports from OTA's had Avril at LEO, JWill at 3-tech, Mebane at nose, and McDaniel at 5-tech. I'm sure things will change throughout the preseason, but at the moment it indicates that Avril might be the starting candidate for the Right End position.

My guess for starting DLine come the regular season is Avril at LEO, Williams (either one) at 3-tech, Mebane at nose, and McDaniel or Scruggs at 5-tech. And then in the nickel or sub packages I imagine it'll be Avril at left end, Irvin at right end, Bennett at DT, and one of either Scruggs, Hill, KWill, or Marsh at the other DT spot.

All this is just conjecture at this point though because there's a lot that can happen over the preseason. We just have so many players on the Dline that are all pretty much equal in ability and potential that it makes it very difficult to guess the starting lineups. Also, because of this equal competition, I imagine there will be even more rotation used on the DLine this season than there was used last season.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
RussJames":2d1z1zob said:
A few reports from OTA's had Avril at LEO, JWill at 3-tech, Mebane at nose, and McDaniel at 5-tech. I'm sure things will change throughout the preseason, but at the moment it indicates that Avril might be the starting candidate for the Right End position.

Good summation. Avril said in his recent interview that he's been playing at both DE spots, so it's possible he will continue to rush from the strong side (Left End) on third downs.

Carroll has talked about moving McDaniel to the five technique for a while. It will be interesting to see whether Kevin Williams can slide into the three technique in the base package. Then Bennett can platoon at the three positions he can play. In addition to Jesse Williams, Jordan Hill has also spent time at the three technique with the first team. A lot of versatility on this line. K. Williams gives them another piece to play with.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
If everyone is healthy, how many defensive linemen will they keep?

Bennett, Avril, Mebane, McDaniel, K. Williams, J. Williams, Hill, Mayowa, Scruggs, Marsh. 4-3 teams typically keep around nine on the active roster. That's ten already. Plus, Irvin will probably be more of a defensive linemen this year as he gets an opportunity to rush the passer from both the strong and weak side. Schofield also says he will play more at LEO.

I really like Michael Brooks and Jackson Jeffcoat as developmental prospects and question whether they would clear waivers. Staten will need to show something to make the practice squad.

RussJames

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3rxd3syr said:

Bennett, Avril, Mebane, McDaniel, K. Williams, J. Williams, Hill, Mayowa, Scruggs, Marsh. 4-3 teams typically keep around nine on the active roster. That's ten already. Plus, Irvin will probably be more of a defensive linemen this year as he gets an opportunity to rush the passer from both the strong and weak side. Schofield also says he will play more at LEO.

I really like Michael Brooks and Jackson Jeffcoat as developmental prospects and question whether they would clear waivers. Staten will need to show something to make the practice squad.

Man, it's tough to say at the moment. I think there's really only 4 guaranteed locks (Bennett, Avril, Mebane, McDaniel) and the rest of the DLine is going to be whatever the outcome is of some fierce ass competition. Like I said in an above post, outside of the 4 guaranteed guys, there's about 6-8 players that are all at about the same level of talent and potential. It's gonna be real exciting to see how this position unfolds this preseason.

Try making a 53 man roster for our team once. It's ridiculously difficult. There's a lot of very promising players like Jeffcoat and Brooks and maybe even guys like Toomer and Schofield that simply can't be fit into the lineup.

Regarding Irvin... From what I've heard, he's going to be playing SAM in base again, DE in sub packages, and Rover (or whatever you want to call it) in the NASCAR package. He'll be the "swiss army knife" of the front seven. Barring injury, I bet he tags on at least 100-200 more snaps on to his total snap count from last season. Should be a very exciting season for him aswell.

Schofield said he's going to be playing more with his "hand in the dirt", which makes sense given the LEO position is the one spot that doesn't have ridiculous depth. I could see him making the 53 man roster on that condition alone. His competition at the moment is Avril, Mayowa, Jeffcoat, and maybe Marsh... Outside of Avril, there's not a whole lotta experience in that group.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
RussJames":s4lnsm29 said:
There I go misnaming the left end and right end positions again :34853_doh: To clarify I know who played where under the Pete Carroll regime. For some reason I just keep mixing up the terminology of the two position. Thanks for the correction. I'll remember one of these days.
I don't think it's about getting guys quality snaps as much as it's about playing the best players at their best positions.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with this. What I was suggesting was that if Avril's best position in Nickel situations is left end, a positive result could be one of Schofield/Irvin/Mayowa playing right end and getting quality experience rushing the QB from that side, adding to their ability to potentially start at LEO in the future.

For example, Mayowa best pass rushes last pre-season came from the right end spot. In the nickel defense, putting Avril at left end where he's played extremely well and Benson at right end would be beneficial for both players and the team's long-term plans.

My guess for starting DLine come the regular season is Avril at LEO, Williams (either one) at 3-tech, Mebane at nose, and McDaniel or Scruggs at 5-tech. And then in the nickel or sub packages I imagine it'll be Avril at left end, Irvin at right end, Bennett at DT, and one of either Scruggs, Hill, KWill, or Marsh at the other DT spot.

All this is just conjecture at this point though because there's a lot that can happen over the preseason. We just have so many players on the Dline that are all pretty much equal in ability and potential that it makes it very difficult to guess the starting lineups. Also, because of this equal competition, I imagine there will be even more rotation used on the DLine this season than there was used last season.
Good summary. Yeah, every report and comment from the coaches I've read has indicated that the penciled-in two starters is Avril at the LEO and Mebane at NT. The main changes seem to come from who they have at the 3-tech and 5-tech based on the situation. The lineup you have above is reported to be their "heavy" package, but the coaches have also stated their plans to have a starting defense with Bennett at the 5-tech and McDaniel at 3-tech (with the two Williams competing for that spot, I would assume).

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2p7ragh2 said:
Avril said in his recent interview that he's been playing at both DE spots, so it's possible he will continue to rush from the strong side (Left End) on third downs. .

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. It'll be interesting to see how the coaching staff assigns each players positions based on whichever pass-rushing tandem is on the field.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
RussJames":2yuk0exo said:
hawknation2014":2yuk0exo said:

Man, it's tough to say at the moment. I think there's really only 4 guaranteed locks (Bennett, Avril, Mebane, McDaniel) and the rest of the DLine is going to be whatever the outcome is of some fierce ass competition. Like I said in an above post, outside of the 4 guaranteed guys, there's about 6-8 players that are all at about the same level of talent and potential. It's gonna be real exciting to see how this position unfolds this preseason.

Try making a 53 man roster for our team once. It's ridiculously difficult. There's a lot of very promising players like Jeffcoat and Brooks and maybe even guys like Toomer and Schofield that simply can't be fit into the lineup.

Regarding Irvin... From what I've heard, he's going to be playing SAM in base again, DE in sub packages, and Rover (or whatever you want to call it) in the NASCAR package. He'll be the "swiss army knife" of the front seven. Barring injury, I bet he tags on at least 100-200 more snaps on to his total snap count from last season. Should be a very exciting season for him aswell.

Schofield said he's going to be playing more with his "hand in the dirt", which makes sense given the LEO position is the one spot that doesn't have ridiculous depth. I could see him making the 53 man roster on that condition alone. His competition at the moment is Avril, Mayowa, Jeffcoat, and maybe Marsh... Outside of Avril, there's not a whole lotta experience in that group.

My feeling is if Kevin Williams is healthy, he will have a spot at the three technique. He just brings so much veteran leadership and durability to the lineup. That could mean Williams, Hill, and perhaps Brooks will be battling for a roster spot. With the remainder assigned to the practice squad if they clear waivers.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
These guys turned the Seahawks defense into the premier defense it is. I always knew about Avril and the strip sack. The guys are both turnover creating machines. As money gets worked I have no doubt that Avril will get taken care of, but I would pay extra to have them both long term, even finish their careers here.

Avril never talks about money, he never complains, he and Bennett are both having a great time here. The youth needs to learn from them. I love listening to both in interviews, they are just great members of the team.

In another thread, a Niner fan said that Aldon Smith is a better player than anyone else on the Seahawks roster. I don't agree and I would take the pressures, mistakes and strip sacks that either one of those guys cause over Aldon Smith's QB sacks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
oregonhawkfan":2gqtn2ff said:
Agreed w/ all the above. Also of note is how well the work together. Sometimes players seem to just possess a special kind of chemistry and these two really do. Always seems one is doing hitting/stripping and the other is in position to clean up the loose balls. I would also really like to see these two stay together for future years...hate to break up a great pair.

completely agree. These two seem to have a good chemistry and their skill sets compliment eachother on the field perfectly.

As for a new contract, it's really going to depend on what he ends up doing. He's been on record as saying he's much more comfortable rushing from the left side. Rushing from the left side makes him a situational pass rusher, not a full time starter. Which actually makes his impact even more impressive as he didn't log as many snaps last year as Clemons.

If he ends up at LEO, I can see us paying him more if he's just as effective. Paying more than 7.5 mil/year to a situational guy isn't a good contract for us, but paying an impact LEO end 10 mil/year is.

RussJames

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":zi1zq1fu said:
RussJames":zi1zq1fu said:
There I go misnaming the left end and right end positions again :34853_doh: To clarify I know who played where under the Pete Carroll regime. For some reason I just keep mixing up the terminology of the two position. Thanks for the correction. I'll remember one of these days.

Good summary. Yeah, every report and comment from the coaches I've read has indicated that the penciled-in two starters is Avril at the LEO and Mebane at NT. The main changes seem to come from who they have at the 3-tech and 5-tech based on the situation. The lineup you have above is reported to be their "heavy" package, but the coaches have also stated their plans to have a starting defense with Bennett at the 5-tech and McDaniel at 3-tech (with the two Williams competing for that spot, I would assume).

To be fair I've confused the directions 'west' and 'east' ever since I was a young whippersnapper. I've always been very well aware of where east and west are of course, just subconsciously confused the names. The first play I ever saw was East Side Story, my favorite band was Head West, and How the East Was Won was a decent movie from the 60s.

I imagine there's going to be even more rotation used on the DLine this season than there was last season. So when guessing the D lineup you really have to factor in the Heavy packages, Base package, Nickel package, other Sub packages, Nascar package etc... Which makes predicting the D line nearly impossible. The lineup I gave would be the first up for the heavy package, and like you mentioned, Bennett might slot into the Base package at 5-tech and McDaniel could slide inside to the 3-tech. I think the only one constant on the DLine is going to be Mebane at Nose Tackle.