Any News on Doug Signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has heard anything further on Doug signing?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I wonder if the fact that they drafted 2 WRs will have any impact on negotiations. Could be leverage for the Hawks, or could be cause for Doug to want to know what they view his role as going forward.

sutz

Reaction score
The draft could certainly affect the contract negotiations with Doug. Right now, I'm sure signing all the rooks is the highest priority for the front office.

Of course, all Doug has to do is sign and he can start practice. That ball is in his court. If he is "holding out" for a long term deal before he signs the tender, it'll probably take some time. I wish he would do that, and that the FO promises work on a new deal sometime this year. The new WRs look pretty good, so Doug's leverage is dropping. It would better IMO to have Doug here and give the rooks some time to grow into the job, but Pete has never been afraid of playing young guys if he thought they could handle the load.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I can see why it might impact negotiations but I really think this FO values Doug enough to pay him. The guy is clutch and that's an understatement.

Receivers can take a couple of years to get going. Doug gives them reliability that we haven't seen in any other receiver in the past four years imo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Angry Doug is being Angry Doug.

I don't see where he has any leverage on the front office to hold out. He is a valuable WR, but he's not irreplaceable, especially with the number of WR's in camp right now.

He will accept the tender, but Doug being Doug he will wait until the last minute.

edogg23

Reaction score
Maybe they will wait and see if Harvin can stay healthy, they are both slot receivers.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35pkdj7m said:

I don't see where he has any leverage on the front office to hold out. He is a valuable WR, but he's not irreplaceable, especially with the number of WR's in camp right now.

He will accept the tender, but Doug being Doug he will wait until the last minute.
When exactly is the deadline? Or is there one?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2bs1wfga said:
Sgt. Largent":2bs1wfga said:

When exactly is the deadline? Or is there one?

I may be wrong, but how I understand it is he really doesn't have a choice now. By not signing the tender by the RFA deadline a couple weeks ago he pretty much locked himself into playing for the 2.1M 2nd round tender in 2014.

I guess he could hold out, but he really has no options because no teams even gave him a sniff before the RFA deadline. The only way I see him gaining leverage is if a bunch of WR's get hurt during camp and we're desperate.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder what value Doug and his agent see him having in the league.

Does he see himself as a $3M/year guy?... a $4M/year guy?... more? like Golden Tate at $6.2M/year?

If the Hawks sign him long term, I believe that somewhere near $4.5M/year would be fair and reasonable.

What do guys think his value is?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2oix4762 said:
What do guys think his value is?

His value is what other teams are willing to pay him, not necessarily what his value is here (which we assume is more). As harsh as that sounds, we shouldn't be giving him more than he'd get on the open market............and what we and Doug found out this off season is his value is very low on the open market. Thus no RFA offers.

But to answer your question, I think somewhere in the 3-4M range is fair. He's proven his worth with us, but if he thinks he's getting Golden Tate money, then this might get ugly.

sutz

Reaction score
Doug's problem is timing. He picked the wrong year to hold out with the number of good WRs in the draft. Most team's weren't looking at WR beyond the "superstars" that were available. As much as we value him, Doug hasn't had a lot of media exposure. As it stands, he'll be fighting for a roster spot. I think he'd win that over most of the new kids, but it won't necessarily be easy.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
He's been at all of the voluntary team activities, so I don't think he's holding out just yet. There have been rumblings of him getting a long term deal worked out. Sherman hinted at it during his press conference. I think he will be signed before the season starts.

sutz

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3hbaeh82 said:
He's been at all of the voluntary team activities, so I don't think he's holding out just yet. There have been rumblings of him getting a long term deal worked out. Sherman hinted at it during his press conference. I think he will be signed before the season starts.
That's certainly what I hope. :pray:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Baldwin will be 26 this fall and I think making him life long Seahawk would be awesome but it has to be at the right price. I'd be happy with a 5 year 22.5Mil. 10Mil bonus with 14 mil guaranteed.

King Dog

Reaction score
sutz":10tmmce4 said:
As it stands, he'll be fighting for a roster spot. I think he'd win that over most of the new kids, but it won't necessarily be easy.
Doug is a 100% lock to make this roster.

Throwdown

Reaction score
sutz":bfqjvhrf said:
EverydayImRusselin":bfqjvhrf said:

They're working it out, Doug said so himself. Doug's also signed a waiver to let him work out with the team.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
A favorite player. When I saw him two years ago try and catch a ball in the end zone against Arizona I knew he was special. He had some teeth knocked out and only a superb play by the d prevented him catching it. If he drops a ball it's shocking. a true gamer

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
King Dog":2ur9e3dt said:
sutz":2ur9e3dt said:
As it stands, he'll be fighting for a roster spot. I think he'd win that over most of the new kids, but it won't necessarily be easy.
Doug is a 100% lock to make this roster.

I believe his RFA tender is fully guaranteed is it not? Therefore if he only signs the 1 yr deal and we cut him (not happening), it would be a $2m+ cap hit for nothing(no way he's not one of the top 5 or 6 WR on the team).

Cartire

Reaction score
Throwdown":2hxjf9im said:
sutz":2hxjf9im said:
EverydayImRusselin":2hxjf9im said:

They're working it out, Doug said so himself. Doug's also signed a waiver to let him work out with the team.

Yah, I thought everyone already knew this. He's not holding out. He signed a waiver allowing him to practice without signing his tender. If he signs the tender, then he litterally has zero leverage. This way, the option is at least still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts