DT or DE ...Melton or J. Allen?

TheWalrus

Reaction score
Just curious which the board prefers if they had to choose. It seems clear that the Seahawks are interested in adding at least one defensive lineman in free agency, and preferably a player with Pro Bowl talent.

If you had to pick between Allen or Melton, who would you pick? And the 2nd part of the equation is who do you expect to be able to contribute more next year Benson Mayowa or Jordan Hill? And I think the answer there is probably Hill which is why I think adding a DE is more important.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The guys they've brought in for actual visits (Hatcher and Melton) are both DTs. Despite rampant speculation, there's never been confirmation that they've actually talked to Allen. They didn't seem to bother with Ware or Peppers. Cut Clemons. Maybe they feel they're good at DE?

Bennett can and has played LEO. Avril, Irvin and Mayowa are other potential edge rushers.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Throwdown":2b8kjay4 said:
Melton, I literally want nothing to do with Allen.

This. Although if Kearly's right, which I guess he usually is, I'll take Allen too.

Rainger

Reaction score
Want both but no way I want Allen's over hyped salary. If Allen is avail for a prove it 5 mil price tag then yes. Same Melton don't want him for more than 5 to 5.5.

Veilside

Reaction score
Prove it deal?

Jared Allen: 128.5 career sacks

I'd say there is not much too prove at this point. The guy is still elite under the right circumstances and I think could possibly come close to his best statistical year (22 sacks in 2011) playing on the Seattle D.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":4i33vai9 said:
Melton, I literally want nothing to do with Allen.
How come?

I think Allen would be awesome here in a rotation

joeshaney

Reaction score
I'd probably be just as happy with either.
I think Melton might be a better financial decision and be so amazing in our DT rotation.
Meanwhile, Allen, Bennett and Avril rushing the passer would be sick.

I'll give the slightest edge to Melton (assuming clean bill of health).
I have more faith that Irvin, Mayowa and a draft pick can fill the LEO hole than I do Williams, Hill and a draft pick.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Allen would be the better pick up just becuase he is not coming off a season ending injury. But both are disruptive difference makers that would upgrade any defense.

Atradees

Reaction score
Both would be cool. If neither is signed I have to believe we are still in it. I would prefer a DT if we get one. To replace the rotation.

kearly

Reaction score
What I like about Melton is that for a smallish DT he's a good run defender, so we could make him a three down 3-tech if needed. He will be hungry for those reps too, as this is a prove it deal if it happens.

But yeah, he had an ACL tear last year. It usually takes two seasons to fully recover and we saw last year what Clemons looked like coming off that injury. He lost a step and was basically just a league average player at an age where many pass rushers peak. Knee injuries are a pretty big deal for lineman on both offense and defense, especially defensive tackles who have to absorb so much force with their knees in the run game.

It's silly to expect an AP type recovery for Melton, but if he did, he'd be a very nice addition on a 1 year deal for a moderate amount of money.

I have no such worries about Allen. Last offseason I thought we really missed out by failing to sign John Abraham to the super-cheap deal he settled for. He had yet another double digit sacks season last year. Of course he would, he's old but the athleticism is still there. Jared Allen is a pretty similar guy, except he's almost four years younger than Abraham is. I could see Seattle signing Allen to a 4 year deal and he could play well enough that cutting him in year 3 could be a really tough call, whereas with Melton, even if we get him, its only going to be for one year. His ACL mending year.

Basically, it comes down to signing a one year guy who will probably be okay, versus making a medium-term investment in a really good player. If Seattle thinks they can budget a few years of Allen in while keeping Sherm/Earl/Wilson, I would call that a no-brainer for them.

KK84

Reaction score
If Allen doesn't insist on a ridiculous contract like Ware and Peppers got, I'd be ecstatic to have him.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
It really just comes down to if you want a 4th string RB or a 3rd string QB, simple as that really.

I'll let you decide.

[youtube]W9T9AQ1fA6I[/youtube]

30cn2gh

Either way, championshippppp.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
KK84":2s1maaop said:
If Allen doesn't insist on a ridiculous contract like Ware and Peppers got, I'd be ecstatic to have him.

Couldn't agree more