DT or DE ...Melton or J. Allen?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":itsnqe3i said:
What I like about Melton is that for a smallish DT he's a good run defender, so we could make him a three down 3-tech if needed. He will be hungry for those reps too, as this is a prove it deal if it happens.

But yeah, he had an ACL tear last year. It usually takes two seasons to fully recover and we saw last year what Clemons looked like coming off that injury. He lost a step and was basically just a league average player at an age where many pass rushers peak. Knee injuries are a pretty big deal for lineman on both offense and defense, especially defensive tackles who have to absorb so much force with their knees in the run game.

It's silly to expect an AP type recovery for Melton, but if he did, he'd be a very nice addition on a 1 year deal for a moderate amount of money.

I have no such worries about Allen. Last offseason I thought we really missed out by failing to sign John Abraham to the super-cheap deal he settled for. He had yet another double digit sacks season last year. Of course he would, he's old but the athleticism is still there. Jared Allen is a pretty similar guy, except he's almost four years younger than Abraham is. I could see Seattle signing Allen to a 4 year deal and he could play well enough that cutting him in year 3 could be a really tough call, whereas with Melton, even if we get him, its only going to be for one year. His ACL mending year.

Basically, it comes down to signing a one year guy who will probably be okay, versus making a medium-term investment in a really good player. If Seattle thinks they can budget a few years of Allen in while keeping Sherm/Earl/Wilson, I would call that a no-brainer for them.
Meh.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Melton.

For the reasons Kearly listed. Assuming a one year deal of league average play, Schneider could probably sign him back to a Bennett deal or less afterwards. Since Avril will be seeking money in that year, I'd feel a lot better starting Mayowa/Irvin/Scruggs or a rotation thereof with a healthier and paid Melton at 3 tech.

This is if I had to pick one of the two. I don't think we need either of them with our LBs and secondary.

Still think we could do just fine signing O'brien Schofield back to be a DE on run downs that could still collapse the pocket on a QB.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd like Melton and want him long term not just for a year. Wouldn't mind having Allen short term though.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Tough call

DE is a bigger area of weakness, we cut 2 starting caliber DE's in Red and Clemons, and Schofield was also so decent depth that is gone/will be gone. Unless you consider Irvin our #3 DE we really don't have a guy worth penciling in there yet. I think Adding Allen to the Avril, Bennett rotation would be perfect and and we would have the best 3 man DE rotation in the NFL. Allen has some gas left I think 2 really productive years at least if he plays here in a rotation. His numbers would be pretty good with the home field advantage we provide and the LOB helping coverage sacks.

DT isn't as big of a need because we have 3 guys in Scruggs, Hill, and Williams who have either flashed skills or were draft picks high enough that JS thought they could step into a starting role at some point. So adding a DT isn't a big need but Melton is on the border of being an elite pass rushing DT and getting him on a multi-year deal for anything less than $7-8mil a year is a pretty good deal. His addition would allow Bennett to stay outside in more pass rushing situations and provide a know commodity of passrush right up the gut which is key to getting the qb out of the pocket and sacked.

So skip forward to feburary 2015 and we are in the Super Bowl playing Den, NE, or Baltimore. On 3rd down would you rather have Avril, Mebane, Melton, Bennett rushing the QB or Avril, Mebane, Bennett, Allen?

It's very tough but I have to role with Allen who I think is a little more expensive but less risk. It's not likely we'd get Melton for more than 2 years, and worst case is Allen only has 2 years left so looking further out than that isn't necessary.

Bring on Jared Allen, but if we could get both look out

Avril, Melton, Bennett, Allen rushing a QB's at the CLINK would force the NFL to create some new rules, liek a 2 second head start because QB's would be getting crushed!

Zabooni

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2dkzh2t3 said:
Allen you don't take a player coming off a major injury.

That is unless we can get him cheap for multiple years. The dude is only 27 and has shown that he can be one of the best interior linemen in the game. He may not be right till later this season, but he should certainly be fine for seasons past that.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Clemons came back from ACL injury in one offseason.
Considering Melton will have had an offseason AND most of the regular season to recover I would feel comfortable bringing him aboard as long as his medicals check out.

The biggest question is whether he prefers a 1 year deal or not. We can't pay stupid money, but 5-6 million for his potential could pay off.
10 million a year for Jared Allen seems desperate. Did we cut Clemons because he was getting paid too much or because we think he's no good. Jacksonville wasn't hesitant.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Niether.

Give that money to the players who actually worked hard FOR THE SEAHAWKS the last 3-4 years that deserve it, in no particular order:

Richard Sherman
Earl Thomas
Doug Baldwin
Steven Hauschka
KJ Wright
Malcom Smith
Byron Maxwell

Actually this order is a pretty decent checklist if you put Hauschka at the top.

The only contract I like Melton at is 1 yr, 2.5 million. He likely won't be starting and it will take him half the year to get back into form. But he definately could have similar 2013 Clinton McDonald impact in the rotation.

I'd take Allen at 1 yr, 5 million. However, you're probably looking at a 3 year, 25 mil deal for him like 7.5, 10, 7.5 cap hits. He would definately be worth it. But these young guys need some love and a show of faith after the Seahawks jettisoned or watched a lot of leadership/moxie + ability walk away this off-season to new teams.

So do I want the team to sign Melton? No, how about re-signing Hauschka and extending Baldwin.

Do I want the team to sign Allen? No, how about extending Thomas and Sherman, and if you have a little left throw some love raises at Wright.

How about giving Okung a new extension?

How about giving Avril a new extension?

Yes? "Here's some big signing bonus plus quality contract boys... how about lowering some of your 2014 cap-hits by an accummaltive 4-5 million, so we can continue to spread the joy and wealth?

Hey Smith and Byron Maxwell... you guys haven't played as much as the other guys but you have shined in limited starts, here's a little cash incentive now, how about both signing on through 2015 for a fair amount of money and let's see where that takes us while you continue to build up your stock in our system."

Great Morale is the gateway to Great Success. Why continue to drain the coffers to fill the pockets of the the already rich, when those who have slaved for pennies are waiting for their silver and gold.