Screw free agency. Concentrate on the draft.

Rainger

Reaction score
Many are getting too hung up on the media driven free agency. That some how the team is nothing if you don't get an A grade by the media hacks in the FA.

Yes, we have had our jewels in FA but lets not forget this team was built in the draft and by getting cast offs and non playing free agents.

Pete and John have a plan. They don't follow the main stream media agenda who shove crap down our throat.

This FA is really not as important as some are making it. FA complements your team not make it. Next years Hawks will be added to more from the draft and the draft from last year {that have not yet played} than what we do in FA this year.

We have done so well by not following the NFL and Media's format and agenda by being different, why should we doubt the FO methods/plan now?

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
This is a very important thought in today's NFL...

In the past FREE AGENCY was a ticket to the big show...but I don't think it is the way now.

You can add pieces of course but there is no way a championship team can depend on only free agency as the ticket to success.

Even more important is that you find a couple of cheap studs in the later rounds......you have them for 4 years and you will reap the benefits like our wonderful Hawks have!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlueBlood

Reaction score
They are waiting until the dust settles then plucking through the rest of what's left over... They'll reload this gun

Seafan

Reaction score
The team depth will get a nice boost from the draft. I expect the Hawks to add some legit OL, WR, DL depth in May. Not worried about what is happening right now.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
rainger":25g6sim0 said:
Many are getting too hung up on the media driven free agency. That some how the team is nothing if you don't get an A grade by the media hacks in the FA.

Yes, we have had our jewels in FA but lets not forget this team was built in the draft and by getting cast offs and non playing free agents.

Pete and John have a plan. They don't follow the main stream media agenda who shove crap down our throat.

This FA is really not as important as some are making it. FA compliments your team not make it. Next years Hawks will be added to more from the draft and the draft from last year {that have not yet played} than what we do in FA this year.

We have done so well by not following the NFL and Media's format and agenda by being different, why should we doubt the FO methods/plan now?

This has been JS's talk ever since he got here. Free agents are only stop-gaps, or in the very rare (#11) instance, special. We will build through the draft as we've done the past couple years, and find talent where others have overlooked it. Losing guys we get attached to sucks; but it will keep happening. Why moan about it as if something out of the ordinary is happening that screws the team?

And by the way, FA's may "compliment" the team when they say nice things about it, but they sometimes "complement" it as well (see the Bennett signing).

davidonmi

Reaction score
If Melton or Allen come off open on the cheap I'm all for it. Otherwise let's make a few depth signing and focus on the draft

McGruff

Reaction score
One of the things you'll notice with John and Pete is that free agency has a tendency to tip their hand regarding the draft. They will bring in loads of free agents at positions they consider weak in the draft, and they will ignore free agents at positions they consider strong.

They are bringing in a lot of bigger defensive line men. That indicates (and I agree) that this draft is not deep at all in 3/5 tech projects. Aside from Allen, they are not tied to any LEO free agents, and this draft happens to be fairly deep in LEO conversion projects.

They also are not bringing in any WR's or OL, two positions where I see a lot of developmental depth.

This front office always has an eye towards the draft.

KK84

Reaction score
I'm more excited to see the 2013 draft class get a chance to play than getting a big name FA.

theascension

Reaction score
I want new names for next year like Malcolm Smith and 'the robber' Maxwell were for us next year. While Tate is a disappointment clearly the FO have different priorities and right now we have to respect that as they've turned this team from a 25th ranked defense to one of the best ever. And put together a very good offense as well.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
KK84":2uso5f3s said:
I'm more excited to see the 2013 draft class get a chance to play than getting a big name FA.

Me, too. I'm anxious to see TSimon and JWilliams on D, and CMike with the ball in his hands; here's hoping his blocking improves.

And with the success we've had in the draft, I'm looking forward to the prospects.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2dvjyxdr said:
This has been JS's talk ever since he got here. Free agents are only stop-gaps, or in the very rare (#11) instance, special.
You may feel that this is a nit... but we traded for Percy. He wasn't a FA.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Bennett, on the other hand, WAS a free agent last year.

So was Avril.

You could certainly argue that obtaining those two pieces put us over the top.

In fact, wasn't the perception in the media that we "won" free agency last year?

Just because we aren't doing much in FA this year (though we did resign McCoy, Bennett and McDaniel), does not mean it isn't valuable.

Hopefully we can keep up our track record of finding outstanding performers in the draft.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Fans can concentrate on whatever they want but it has no impact on what the team actually does.

mikeak

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":4wcd19zm said:
Bennett, on the other hand, WAS a free agent last year.

So was Avril.

You could certainly argue that obtaining those two pieces put us over the top.

+1

With that said they really aren't mutually exclusive.

Tell Tampa Bay that FA doesn't matter....did you look at how they are redoing their team right now? Tell Jacksonville that those pieces aren't going to change anything?

Tell Oakland they didn't just get worse through FA and they will say you are wrong........oh wait

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":25gwwtpd said:
Ad Hawk":25gwwtpd said:
This has been JS's talk ever since he got here. Free agents are only stop-gaps, or in the very rare (#11) instance, special.
You may feel that this is a nit... but we traded for Percy. He wasn't a FA.

No, i appreciate the correction; my bad.

But the overall point is the same. The high-price FAs (or trades) are are few and the wide exception on this team. I can live with that.