Can somebody give me some Pete Carroll history.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
So I'm STILL basking in the glow of the SB win. Its a Wonderful feeling! I've been a fan since 1984, and have loved my Hawks since then, good or bad (too many years of the bad).
But all that's washed away and I'm reinvigorated for another 30 years, and more championships!

I'm not a real x's and o's kinda guy, don't read a lot on the coaches or players, haven't been a big forum reader guy except for the last 2-3 years.
Just go to work with my lunch pail and then watch my guys play on Sundays. Although I now work Sundays, and have for the last 6-7 years, so its difficult to
catch every game.

From reading the haters' comments--mostly 9er fans of course--about our adderall addiction, and how we cheat, yada yada. I understand what that's about.
One thing I never understood fully was the comments about how PC cheated at USC, and high-tailed it before sanctions came down, or something to that effect.

Can someone school me on the history of this, or point me to a good unbiased review of what that was all about. I'd like to know the history, and understand it,
so I can give a factual rebuttal when its needed.

I've got some friends/acquaintences who are 9er fans, and although they're still unhappy and like to flip me crap, right now all I can do is just give 'em a big old smile and point my finger to the sky.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
I am honestly not totally sure about all the USC stuff myself, although in talking to some of my friends who are USC season tix holders, they love Pete and say it was stuff that happened that he in their opinion wasn't aware of. I guess coaches under him did some stuff with recruiting and some boosters gave Bush a lot of money/car or something like that.

Anyway, one thing I would do for sure if you want more history on Pete is read is Auto Biography. I love that book and it teaches you a ton about Pete and his philosophy. My wife got me the book and I read it on a flight to the NW and back from KC where I live now. It's a quick and easy read, but after reading it I had more confidence than ever we would beat the Broncos because of the way Pete gets his teams to play, makes half time adjustments, and keeps the players nerves under control as much as possible. He really does an amazing job of nurturing talent and putting everyone in the organization in a place to become their best.

I know this didn't answer your question, but hope it helps a little in your pursuit for more knowledge.

Go Hawks!

salamander

Reaction score
An agent gave Reggie Bush's parents a house to live in. The NCAA claims a running backs coach Todd McNair allegedly knew about it. McNair is suing the NCAA, and the NCAA will not release the so called evidence they have implicating him. There is no evidence or allegation against Pete Carrol.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Continue smiling and pointing and laughing at them...it's all just jealousy

OP
OP
HomerJHawk

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Cool. I'll get the book and read it. I knew a bit of the background, but not much. PC and JS have turned this team around, and its just a joy to watch. I know a lot of that has to do with coaching philosophy, so it should be an interesting read.

Here's to keeping my finger to the sky, and a sh*t eating grin on my face.... :lol:

mbtitleist

Reaction score
If you want to read an unbiased review of what happened at USC, look up Ted Miller (ESPN Pac-12 Blog) for some of his write-ups.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
The only thing Pete ever did wrong was knowingly hiring a coach more than you're allowed per NCAA rules. Never heard the explanation for his side, but it seemed all along he was convinced it was legal.

The whole Reggie Bush scandal is on Bush, and if anyone else in the SC program, the compliance guy and the AD.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Exh. A on why people hate Pete:

petey.gif

Exh. B on why people hate Pete:

NuRuOLI

Screw all of them. I love the guy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The NCAA/USC thing was a travesty, and I say this as a UW fan. A judge has already ruled that the NCAA was malicious in its investigation of the program, and the NCAA is currently doing everything they can to keep all the investigation documents sealed from the public. Read up on it. It's crazy.

Reggie Bush's parents got free rent at a house in San Diego from a pro agent. This was well after he was recruited at the school. The NCAA also combined the investigation with one they were doing on USC's basketball program, which is absurd. For this, the FOOTBALL program got a multi-year bowl ban and lost tons of scholarships. Tell me how that makes any sense.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I remember when the Seahawks first hired PC, I was very intrigued by the USC scandal. I knew something was up with Reggie Bush, but had not followed it very closely. It seemed that when you looked at the details of the case, that the NCAA was clearly dragging their feet on any punishment - a prolonged investigation let to eventually waiting 5 years on a decision (which seems unheard of based on the speed of sanctions delivered in other scandals). A few of the details as I remember them:

-The actual scandal involved Bush (and Mayo) receiving benefit from an agent. The agent had paid for housing for his parents, along with allegedly hiring Bush (and probably supplying him with a vehicle) during his college days. Many to this day accuse Carroll of knowing what was happening with Bush, and ignoring the problem (at best), or even being the catalyst that introduced Bush to the agent. I do not believe Carroll knew what was happening.
-The sanctions that were handed down were almost a "Death Penalty" to the USC program. There were many elements of the sanctions handed down that were incredibly inconsistent with other similar scandals. It really seemed that the NCAA and Pac10 hated the culture Carroll had created at USC - Media allowed full access to practices, celebrities regularly visiting the team, players having fun, etc.... Many outsiders looked at what was happening and immediately assumed that the program must be "out of control" (sound familiar?). But the part that does not make any sense is why wait 5 years after Bush graduated to destroy the program? None of the players involved were still on the team. The head coach had already left. Was the NCAA just as upset (or maybe more upset) with Pat Haden (USC athletic director). The whole thing seemed WAY too heavy handed, especially after waiting for 5 years to rule.

-Remember the Cam Newton scandal? The scandal involved Newtons dad, along with a former Miss. St. Player approaching Miss. State coaches prior to Newton deciding what school to attend, requesting well over $100,000 cash payments for attending that school. It was determined that Miss. St. was the only school Newton's dad approached for money (right), and that Cam had no knowledge of the situation. No one was punished, and Auburn was allowed to continue to play Newton
-Remember the Ohio State scandal? Terrell Pryor, along with 4 other Ohio State players traded sports memorabilia for tattoos (a lot of tattoos), and sold much memorabilia for cash. The 5 players were suspended for 5 games, but all were allowed to play in the bowl game that season. As far as I know, Ohio State was never punished for lack of "Institutional Control"
-Remember the Miami Scandal? Booster Nevin Shapiro (currently serving 20 years in prison for orchestrating a $930 million ponzi scheme) had spent millions of dollars between 2002 and 2010 on recruits, athletes, and coaches. The NCAA was able to document almost $200,000 in benefits received. This was a very bad guy, who was paying off everyone in the program. He was essentially paying everyone to look like a "big shot". The punishment? One year bowl ban (school self imposed), 9 scholarships revoked (3 per year for 3 years) and probation for 3 years.
-USC sanctions? 30 scholarships revoked (10 per year for 3 years), every victory vacated between Dec. 2004 through the 2005 season, 3 year bowl ban, and 4 years probation. Bush, under pressure and threat that NCAA would revoke his Heisman trophy, eventually gave it back.

There was definitely more going on with the Bush decision than any wrong doings by USC, or Pete Carroll. Very, very fishy. The problem with the whole scandal is that it has propelled the myth of "Pete the Cheat"....considering there is no evidence of his involvement in the scandal, or that he left USC to avoid the sanctions.

A couple of other interesting articles:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -happened/
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... lty-052611

mbtitleist

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":zn29uway said:
I remember when the Seahawks first hired PC, I was very intrigued by the USC scandal. I knew something was up with Reggie Bush, but had not followed it very closely. It seemed that when you looked at the details of the case, that the NCAA was clearly dragging their feet on any punishment - a prolonged investigation let to eventually waiting 5 years on a decision (which seems unheard of based on the speed of sanctions delivered in other scandals). A few of the details as I remember them:

-The actual scandal involved Bush (and Mayo) receiving benefit from an agent. The agent had paid for housing for his parents, along with allegedly hiring Bush (and probably supplying him with a vehicle) during his college days. Many to this day accuse Carroll of knowing what was happening with Bush, and ignoring the problem (at best), or even being the catalyst that introduced Bush to the agent. I do not believe Carroll knew what was happening.
-The sanctions that were handed down were almost a "Death Penalty" to the USC program. There were many elements of the sanctions handed down that were incredibly inconsistent with other similar scandals. It really seemed that the NCAA and Pac10 hated the culture Carroll had created at USC - Media allowed full access to practices, celebrities regularly visiting the team, players having fun, etc.... Many outsiders looked at what was happening and immediately assumed that the program must be "out of control" (sound familiar?). But the part that does not make any sense is why wait 5 years after Bush graduated to destroy the program? None of the players involved were still on the team. The head coach had already left. Was the NCAA just as upset (or maybe more upset) with Pat Haden (USC athletic director). The whole thing seemed WAY too heavy handed, especially after waiting for 5 years to rule.

-Remember the Cam Newton scandal? The scandal involved Newtons dad, along with a former Miss. St. Player approaching Miss. State coaches prior to Newton deciding what school to attend, requesting well over $100,000 cash payments for attending that school. It was determined that Miss. St. was the only school Newton's dad approached for money (right), and that Cam had no knowledge of the situation. No one was punished, and Auburn was allowed to continue to play Newton
-Remember the Ohio State scandal? Terrell Pryor, along with 4 other Ohio State players traded sports memorabilia for tattoos (a lot of tattoos), and sold much memorabilia for cash. The 5 players were suspended for 5 games, but all were allowed to play in the bowl game that season. As far as I know, Ohio State was never punished for lack of "Institutional Control"
-Remember the Miami Scandal? Booster Nevin Shapiro (currently serving 20 years in prison for orchestrating a $930 million ponzi scheme) had spent millions of dollars between 2002 and 2010 on recruits, athletes, and coaches. The NCAA was able to document almost $200,000 in benefits received. This was a very bad guy, who was paying off everyone in the program. He was essentially paying everyone to look like a "big shot". The punishment? One year bowl ban (school self imposed), 9 scholarships revoked (3 per year for 3 years) and probation for 3 years.
-USC sanctions? 30 scholarships revoked (10 per year for 3 years), every victory vacated between Dec. 2004 through the 2005 season, 3 year bowl ban, and 4 years probation. Bush, under pressure and threat that NCAA would revoke his Heisman trophy, eventually gave it back.

There was definitely more going on with the Bush decision than any wrong doings by USC, or Pete Carroll. Very, very fishy. The problem with the whole scandal is that it has propelled the myth of "Pete the Cheat"....considering there is no evidence of his involvement in the scandal, or that he left USC to avoid the sanctions.

A couple of other interesting articles:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -happened/
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... lty-052611

Let's not forget who was the AD at Miami for many of the years that Shapiro was running around doing his thing. None other than Paul Dee, who was the chairman of the COI during the USC investigation. Paul Dee was more of a "do as I say, not as I do" piece of shit.

OP
OP
HomerJHawk

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Wow. Good info and links, thanks fellow 12's. Sounds like there's a vendetta or 'we're going to make an example of you' coming from the NCAA for whatever reasons.

Glad Pete made it here. From everything I've seen and read he sounds like the kind of coach that players WANT to play for, by creating the right kind of atmosphere, AND bringing
in the right players who are willing to practice and play hard. Tough to keep a good cohesive team together for more than a couple of seasons these days, so its awesome to
see that he and JS have built it up in 3 years. But the mindset and philosophy he's instilling into this organization makes me thing it'll be around for a while.

I love this team. Good, bad, ugly, whatever, they are a blast to watch, and winning the SB is just icing on the cake!

Jayburd14

Reaction score
I have heard other people say that blaming Pete for Reggie Bush's stuff is like blaming Don James for Billy Joe Hobart's stuff.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The thing is, PC made it clear that he would not pursue any NFL head coaching jobs that did not give him control.

The Niners actually entertained an offer to him in the mid 2000s and PC turned it down for lack of control. The Hawks gave him exactly what he wanted, with bigger money. My point being that many claim he bailed on USC because of sanctions, when in fact he got more than he wanted.

I am SOOOO glad that the Niners didn't land him, could you imagine the look of that team with all those first round picks and players he could have parlayed into depth? Yikes. We are lucky it was Harbaugh, stubborn about playing rookies for the most part.

Latest posts