Peacock Can Bite Me

knownone

Reaction score
For me, the cost is irrelevant. The problem is the friction in maintaining and navigating multiple apps to watch one or two games a year. It is not worth the effort. If finding an illegal stream is easier than watching a legal one, you might want to reevaluate your business model. But let's be real. This is probably the brainchild of some CEO who wants to boost subscriber numbers by utilizing the only content the platform has that garners attention. It's a test. It will fail. And things will hopefully go back to normal until we're all locked into whatever the modern cable platform becomes.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't see the problem with this at all. A monthly subscription to Peacock is $6, which is much less than watching an NFL playoff game is worth to me even if that's the only thing I use it for (likely).

International Game Pass is excellent. It's so good that many people use a VPN to gain international access.

Does anyone else's lineup look like this:
Netflix
Paramount
Peacock
Disney/Hulu/ESPN+
Discovery
Apple TV (on a 3 month trial for buying an iphone, don't plan to keep it)
NFL+
Amazon Prime (which I'd be subscribing to for the shipping benefits anyway)
The trick to handling all of this (legally) is to cycle between these services. Pick one and watch a bunch of content, then unsubscribe and go to the next. A nifty way of organizing this is to create a bookmark group in your browser for streaming and update the descriptions to show which ones are active.

That also applies to custom packages within YoutubeTV or cable; I'm turning off my 4k package after the national championship game tonight and then I'll turn it back on in August.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Stream eat young man, stream east young man, stream east!

flv2

Reaction score
I don't see the problem with this at all. A monthly subscription to Peacock is $6, which is much less than watching an NFL playoff game is worth to me even if that's the only thing I use it for (likely).

International Game Pass is excellent. It's so good that many people use a VPN to gain international access.

The trick to handling all of this (legally) is to cycle between these services. Pick one and watch a bunch of content, then unsubscribe and go to the next. A nifty way of organizing this is to create a bookmark group in your browser for streaming and update the descriptions to show which ones are active.

That also applies to custom packages within YoutubeTV or cable; I'm turning off my 4k package after the national championship game tonight and then I'll turn it back on in August.
DAZN has been pretty successful in blocking VPNs, (UK & Germany I believe).

Fanatics

Reaction score
Those that don't have Peacock but want to watch the Dolphins at Chiefs playoff game, should look at doing a trial of Peacock. They offer a 7 day trial, that way watch the game and then cancel.

flv2

Reaction score
Stream eat young man, stream east young man, stream east!
Streaming should be done using a VPN. Stream east blocks anyone using a VPN to mask their IP address. It also blocks anyone routing their DNS through no-log servers. Stream East is a data-collecting enterprise. Don't use it. There are safer streaming alternatives.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Come on man.

Why be mad at Peacock?

Be mad at the NFL that’s selling to the highest bidder no matter who it alienates.
I understand that you mentioned the NFL but your disdain for peacock or other streamers is misguided.
Place the blame completely where it belongs, and that’s the money grabbing NFL.
Yep, this. The NFL whoring itself out with no standards for maximum profit is 100% the fault of the owners. Goodell is just a mouthpiece for them - Send a Tweet out tagging all the owners to help get a little visibility toward the real source of the problem.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I apologize for the way you took those remarks as being directed at you specifically. I was expressing my own philosophy, and probably should have used a little different verbiage.

IMO, we have to look at the overall cost of pursuing our hobbies, and from my perspective, even if I pay a relatively nominal monthly fee of $4.99 of which I can cancel anytime, it still doesn't exceed the total cost of my monthly cable TV bill that I had last year at this time before I started looking at streaming service as I've done these past few months.

And also from my perspective, Dolphins-Chiefs looks to be a great game, and I don't want to re-watch it knowing in advance what the outcome is, and I don't want to stick my head in the sand until I've watched the pre-recorded game. I'd gladly pay $4.99 for that privilege.

Better?
I have the same attitude as you on this. I have Sunday Ticket, Amazon Prime, ESPN and Peacock. I got the whole waterfront covered. It was a lot easier when DirecTV had a monopoly, but I’m just going with the flow.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
For me, the cost is irrelevant. The problem is the friction in maintaining and navigating multiple apps to watch one or two games a year. It is not worth the effort. If finding an illegal stream is easier than watching a legal one, you might want to reevaluate your business model. But let's be real. This is probably the brainchild of some CEO who wants to boost subscriber numbers by utilizing the only content the platform has that garners attention. It's a test. It will fail. And things will hopefully go back to normal until we're all locked into whatever the modern cable platform becomes.

In the late aughts, the iTunes Music store showed that if songs were made available at not-far-from-reasonable prices and in a way that was convenient, people would pay for music instead of downloading it from peer-to-peer filesharing networks or YouTube-to-MP3 conversion sites.

The success of streaming music services like Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music shows that if it's easy and accessibly priced, people are even willing to pay to listen to music without actually owning files like they could in the heyday of P2P music sharing, YouTube-to-MP3 converters, ripping CDs, the iTunes Music Store, and Amazon's no-CRAP music store (CRAP = Content Restriction, Annulment, and Protection, the more-correct term for what the entertainment industry insists on euphemistically calling DRM). (Oh, and FWIW, while Apple did include some CRAP in music files on the iTMS, it was really easy to circumvent, and I suspect that was intentional... but I guess I should mention here that while I know how to do it, I never actually had to do it myself, because I never bought any music from the iTMS)

In the 2010 decade, Netflix's streaming service showed that if you made video content available at a reasonable price, people would pay for that content instead of downloading it from peer-to-peer filesharing networks or watching on "pirate" video web sites. But then the owners of much of the content on Netflix decided they didn't want to share the new revenue stream with Netflix, so they moved to create their own streaming services.

The thing is that while people were willing to pay $8 per month, then $12 per month, then $15 per month, etc. to have a single streaming service with most of the movies and TV shows they'd ever want, people correctly get annoyed when they see that in order to see all the content they might want to see, they'd have to pay a similar value for each of several streaming services among which the content has now been spread out. Additionally, as @knownone points out above, it's now a pain in the ass to manage all the separate applications, and "piracy" actually offers more convenience.
It's like the entertainment companies want people to go back to P2P networks and "pirate" video sites. 1f937 1f3fb 2642

In the 2010 decade, I was living on a grad-student stipend that would have allowed me to live comfortably anywhere in Brazil except for the greater São Paulo area and the greater Rio de Janeiro area, but since I was in São Paulo, I had to manage my money very carefully in order to be able to eat for the whole month. As a result, I watched NFL games on "pirate" streams. One pleasant surprise that came out of that was that a lot of the streams I got for Seahawks games were from Sky Sports UK, and I quickly discovered, to my utter shock, that the people in the studio talking about the games were way better than their counterparts in the USA. In 2018, I started making enough money that I could comfortably sign up for the international NFL Game Pass, and even though I've been a Seahawks fan since 1976, 2018 was the first season when I was able to watch every single Seahawks game. Not only are the streams from NFL Game Pass more stable and of better video quality than most of the pirate streams I got, it's much easier to find the game I want to see (or Red Zone) and open the stream than it was to find and open a stream for a game on "pirate" sites. So NFL Game Pass gave me better video quality, much easier access to the games I wanted to see, and at a price I consider reasonable ($99 in 2018-2022, then something like $83 for the 2023 season when NFL Game Pass was migrated to DAZN). That's why I'm currently in my sixth year subscribing to NFL Game Pass.

The fact that I'm outside the USA and have access to every NFL game through the international NFL Game Pass at a reasonable price has made pirate streams irrelevant to me for the last six seasons. But for the vast majority of NFL fans, who are in the USA and facing the situations described in this thread, the conclusion about the NFL is like the one I stated above about the entertainment companies and their balkanization of film-and-series streaming services. It's like the NFL wants people to seek out and use pirate streams. 🤷🏻‍♂️

RiverDog

Reaction score
In the late aughts, the iTunes Music store showed that if songs were made available at not-far-from-reasonable prices and in a way that was convenient, people would pay for music instead of downloading it from peer-to-peer filesharing networks or YouTube-to-MP3 conversion sites.

The success of streaming music services like Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music shows that if it's easy and accessibly priced, people are even willing to pay to listen to music without actually owning files like they could in the heyday of P2P music sharing, YouTube-to-MP3 converters, ripping CDs, the iTunes Music Store, and Amazon's no-CRAP music store (CRAP = Content Restriction, Annulment, and Protection, the more-correct term for what the entertainment industry insists on euphemistically calling DRM). (Oh, and FWIW, while Apple did include some CRAP in music files on the iTMS, it was really easy to circumvent, and I suspect that was intentional... but I guess I should mention here that while I know how to do it, I never actually had to do it myself, because I never bought any music from the iTMS)

In the 2010 decade, Netflix's streaming service showed that if you made video content available at a reasonable price, people would pay for that content instead of downloading it from peer-to-peer filesharing networks or watching on "pirate" video web sites. But then the owners of much of the content on Netflix decided they didn't want to share the new revenue stream with Netflix, so they moved to create their own streaming services.

The thing is that while people were willing to pay $8 per month, then $12 per month, then $15 per month, etc. to have a single streaming service with most of the movies and TV shows they'd ever want, people correctly get annoyed when they see that in order to see all the content they might want to see, they'd have to pay a similar value for each of several streaming services among which the content has now been spread out. Additionally, as @knownone points out above, it's now a pain in the ass to manage all the separate applications, and "piracy" actually offers more convenience.
It's like the entertainment companies want people to go back to P2P networks and "pirate" video sites. View attachment 63125

In the 2010 decade, I was living on a grad-student stipend that would have allowed me to live comfortably anywhere in Brazil except for the greater São Paulo area and the greater Rio de Janeiro area, but since I was in São Paulo, I had to manage my money very carefully in order to be able to eat for the whole month. As a result, I watched NFL games on "pirate" streams. One pleasant surprise that came out of that was that a lot of the streams I got for Seahawks games were from Sky Sports UK, and I quickly discovered, to my utter shock, that the people in the studio talking about the games were way better than their counterparts in the USA. In 2018, I started making enough money that I could comfortably sign up for the international NFL Game Pass, and even though I've been a Seahawks fan since 1976, 2018 was the first season when I was able to watch every single Seahawks game. Not only are the streams from NFL Game Pass more stable and of better video quality than most of the pirate streams I got, it's much easier to find the game I want to see (or Red Zone) and open the stream than it was to find and open a stream for a game on "pirate" sites. So NFL Game Pass gave me better video quality, much easier access to the games I wanted to see, and at a price I consider reasonable ($99 in 2018-2022, then something like $83 for the 2023 season when NFL Game Pass was migrated to DAZN). That's why I'm currently in my sixth year subscribing to NFL Game Pass.

The fact that I'm outside the USA and have access to every NFL game through the international NFL Game Pass at a reasonable price has made pirate streams irrelevant to me for the last six seasons. But for the vast majority of NFL fans, who are in the USA and facing the situations described in this thread, the conclusion about the NFL is like the one I stated above about the entertainment companies and their balkanization of film-and-series streaming services. It's like the NFL wants people to seek out and use pirate streams. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Wow, that was a mouth full, but I read every word. Good summary.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
Technology and entertainment is always a double edged sword. Things get better and worse simultaneously.

When TV programming first appeared, there were 30-40 episodes a season with 10 minutes of commercials per hour. (Of course, much of the programming was crap). Obviously now providers have discovered what limits we can tolerate with commercial breaks or how much we'll pay to not have them.

When CDs first appeared, they were much pricier than records despite being cheaper to manufacture. The higher CD prices stayed as vinyl faded away (and later reappeared at higher priced than CDs). Some of the initial CDs sounded much worse than their vinyl counterparts (initial Steely Dan CDs were very disappointing).

There is great variety of quality programming choices in the age of streaming services BUT the image quality is degraded, the user interfaces are all different and all a pain in the ass (I honestly preferred UIs like TiVo or DirectTV, which were a pain in the ass in their own ways compared to a newspaper TV listing and a remote channel changer). My freaking bluetooth soundbar doesn't sync with the video, but oh well there's no work around, sorry (I bought a mini PC with no optical sound out, oops, hoping it fails soon so I can replace it).

xray

Reaction score
We are slowly but surely being herded like sheep to a dark parking lot behind a saloon in Montana ; knowing we will be fleeced and raped . Of course it isn't rape if we stand still for it .
Prediction in 5 years...the Super Bowl will be exclusively broadcast on a subscription streaming service , as an add-on PPV event for $39.99 . " Don't piss in my ear and tell me it's streaming ." :)