Russell is still getting very little respect from other fans

joeseahawks

Reaction score
After the destruction of the Broncos, I decided to check out a few team forums around the NFL and see what they thought about our defense and Pete. Lots of fans acknowledge the superb job Pete and Dan have done with our defense. And most teams wish their front office had eyes for talent like Pete and John have.
To my biggest surprise, I noticed in a lot of discussions that most people around the league don't give respect for Russell. He is called a game manager by most people.
Many point to the fact that, during the SB, he only threw for TDs, when the game was already over (up 29-0). Others point to the his struggles in the last 5-6 games of the season. Some others point to the fact that our offense is basically Marshawn Lynch and that Russell is not asked to do much (around 200 yards throwing per game). Some people even said that any decent QB in the league would have won the SB and that Russell didn't do anything special. Most Skins fans still rate RGIII higher than Russell. The Panthers fans see Cam as having a higher ceiling (whatever that means) than Russell. The 49er fans point to CK7 carrying the 49er offense, while Russell is being carried by the Hawks defense. And of course, the Colts fans can't stop talking about the multiple SBs rings that Andrew will have , once the salary cap hits the Seahawks...Afterall, Andrew beat the Hawks, the 49ers and the Broncos.

I understand that we (Seahawks fans) would like to see Russell get more recognition for his work. Afterall, his TD records, his win records, his career QBRs and all those ... are a clear indication of what he has done. But none of these fans care looking at those numbers anyway ...

The good thing I see about this is that, If Russell were to hit the Free Agent market today, not many teams would bid for him and therefore, his price tag wouldn't be too high. I know fans don't sign free agents, but I'm sure lots of GMs don't think too differently. Meaning, we won't need to pay him Brees or Rogers or even Flacco money. And by keeping his salary relatively low, we can afford high priced free agents and depth at many positions. We can also afford a solid veteran backup like TJax (instead of some cheap rookie).
I think we should keep our little secret (Russell ) to ourselves and let other team go after the overrated RGIII and CK7. Some team will overpay for Colin Kaepernick next year I'm sure.
The fact that Pete tries to keep Russell attempts around the 20s per game might also be part of Pet's master plan to make sure some of Russell numbers aren't inflated and therefore, he can't ask for Brees money. I' m sure Russell could throw for 5000 yards, if he were put in Brees shoes.

Kakaww

Reaction score
He is called a game manager, at least partly, because nearly every lousy interview involves a "So, Russell, everyone is calling you a game manager..." question. The more something is said, the more it becomes the "truth." Back a few months ago, he was being talked about in the MVP race and now he has been relegated to Game Manager. Such a shame. Hard to break out of a constantly reinforced (media) reputation. Could follow him for his career.

Steve2222

Reaction score
It's all good. Tom Brady was referred to as a game manger his first few years in the league as well.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I will take a game manager in the eyes of everyone who don't know what there talking about for a superbowl ring ANY DAY.
Foot ball is a team sport not a QB look at my stat line sport.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
They can call him whatever the hell they want. I'm calling him QB of the NFL Champions.

My feelings toward the national sports' media in general have reached a 'hole notha level of disappointment and disrespect as a result of pre and post Super Bowl coverage. Fans in other areas are just swallowing what espn and nfl network are pushing.

If the Manning love fest was not enough... now they're all on the Hawks' Dynasty bandwagon...which would be fine if there was any proactive thought process going on.

My favorite quote was from one of the Mike & Mikes: "After looking more closely at the Seahawks' record and stats, how did we not see this coming?"
Probably because you've spent your career as a media slut who only discusses topics pushed down the pipe by the media slut slightly higher up the food chain.

It took this to get the Hawks noticed. And now it's a feeding frenzy at the other end. Friggin' idgits.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
There's a lot of bitter haters on team forums. I don't think they accurately reflect the pulse of the nation. I've heard Russell getting a ton of love on national media outlets for his SB performance.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
He's a winner, that's the most important stat of all and nobody has done it better than him, two years into the NFL.

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
The Hawks dont ask him to do much. They rely on Defense, big time. Now, when they DO ask hom to do something, he delivers, but his defense and team in general is so great, they pretty much just tell him dont lose the game. But I would not call him a game manager with his win loss record. He is a great young quarterback and he has shot to the top of the 2012 class in a big way.

I dont see RG3, Luck, Newton or Cap taking the mantle of best young qb, unless they win the super bowl. At this point, Wilson is seriously in the coversation right below Manning, Brady and Brees (Yes he beat Manning, but lets be real, he's not on Manning's level as a pure qb, in time though, he could be.)

GFang

Reaction score
Jealousy. Jealousy that our young QB won a Lombardi before any of theirs. A bit of heightism as well.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This chump (the AFC South beat reporter for ESPN) says Luck is still the better QB. Ignores YPA, and the fact that Russell has scored just as many TD's in much fewer opportunities.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-co ... f-the-2012

I don't think fan opinion precludes at least a handful of front office people from seeing Wilson's value, however. It only takes one team willing to pay him at a premium to raise his asking price.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
It's going to take a bit for other fans to transition from thinking of the old guard of Peyton/Brady/Brees as the best in the NFL to the new crop of star QBs. Give it time.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":80rluj2a said:
They can call him whatever the hell they want. I'm calling him QB of the NFL Champions.

My feelings toward the national sports' media in general have reached a 'hole notha level of disappointment and disrespect as a result of pre and post Super Bowl coverage. Fans in other areas are just swallowing what espn and nfl network are pushing.

If the Manning love fest was not enough... now they're all on the Hawks' Dynasty bandwagon...which would be fine if there was any proactive thought process going on.

My favorite quote was from one of the Mike & Mikes: "After looking more closely at the Seahawks' record and stats, how did we not see this coming?"
Probably because you've spent your career as a media slut who only discusses topics pushed down the pipe by the media slut slightly higher up the food chain.

It took this to get the Hawks noticed. And now it's a feeding frenzy at the other end. Friggin' idgits.

This one makes little sense to me. I think there's a disconnect across the media between what's going on in the NFC West and their version of reality. It's going to be very difficult for any team in the NFC West to create a dynasty. Do I hope the Seahawks can do it and do I think they're capable of it? Absolutely. Do I think it's probable? Not so much. Would I be surprised to see a representative from the NFC West in every Super Bowl for the next five years? No.

No other division in the NFL is currently so physical and talented top to bottom, making the path to the Super Bowl all that more challenging and rewarding.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
If the best QB in the league throws 2 INTs and fumbles twice in the Super Bowl, I'll take Russ as a game manager every day of the week...and so will Pete.

theascension

Reaction score
No chance any other quarterback in the league right now would have taken this team 13-3. I watched game tape of the Tampa Bay and Houston games in particular and he brought us back from possible blowouts to improbable wins.
Especially the way he outran J.J Watt's bloodied nose for 3rd and 4th down conversions. The O-Line play in the middle of the season was pathetic.

theascension

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1u1tcwn0 said:
If the best QB in the league throws 2 INTs and fumbles twice in the Super Bowl, I'll take Russ as a game manager every day of the week...and so will Pete.

Just imagine if Seahawks went out to the AFC and Peyton came to play in the NFC West ...

I think many fans outside the NFC West don't appreciate or understand just how incredibly tough the division is. No one talks about Arizona but they led in rushing defense, and probably had the best front in football. Robert quinn is a monster and the only thing that let down the Rams is they couldn't figure out how to show up for lesser opponents.

Honestly Arizona in the AFC might have had a great shot at least getting to the AFC championship. They had an even tougher schedule than us this year and went 10-6.

The more I look at the stats the more I view the 2013 Seahawks team as one of the greatest 10 teams to ever play the game. Strength of schedule is far and beyond what the '85 bears or '00 ravens faced. Wilson is no small part of the equation.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They can call him a game manager all they want.
I call him a Super Bowl champion! :)
In that he has done something that Luck, Kraepper, and BobIII haven't.

All I know is he outplayed an HOF all world QB on the biggest stage Sunday!

Haters gonna hate!

I really don't care what other fanbases think, they can kiss our <ahem> ring!

TXHawkFan

Reaction score
I think a lot of this comes from a fantasy football mentality where a QB who doesn't throw the ball 35-40 times a game to rack up 300+ yards is considered an inferior QB. You can argue all you want about how much more efficient a passer Wilson is than many of those guys but it doesn't seem to penetrate. It's the same reason so many still insist that Andrew Luck is the better QB even though Wilson's stats are better virtually across the board and Luck just threw 7 picks in two playoff games. Luck throws more passes for more yards and has led some comebacks from large deficits so therefore he's a better QB even though he is far less efficient than Wilson and those deficits were due in large part to his own turnovers.

robohawk

Reaction score
of course he's a game manager.

Tom Brady was a game manager and won 3 Super Bowls
Joe Montana was a game manager until he was throwing to Jerry Rice.
Ben Roethlisberger was a game manager and won a pair of Super Bowls

To me, when bitter fans from other teams try to criticize a QB by calling him a "game manager", what they're saying is "your team is better than ours"

As long as we win the SB, I'm perfectly fine with having "just a game manager" as a QB, since it's the SB he's managing.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
joeseahawks":27nh8xmg said:
To my biggest surprise, I noticed in a lot of discussions that most people around the league don't give respect for Russell. He is called a game manager by most people.

It doesn't really matter, he had an amazing game, and played better than Manning in the SB. We know he isn't a game manager.