Russell is still getting very little respect from other fans

BigMeach

Reaction score
What these other teams fans fail to understand is that there are two different scenarios when it comes to a QB "managing" a game. There are QB's who are nothing but a game manager. Then there are players who are asked to be a game manager. Russell is the latter. We ask him to manage the game, to limit turnovers, to throw around 20 times a game, and to hand the ball off a lot while using the defense and playing field position.

What they don't see and what we do, is his other abilities. His explosive ability, his cannon arm, his accurate arm, and his ability to get the job done. They'll all see it eventually when we need him to be something other than a game manager.

I personally enjoy the fact our QB can play whatever roll we ask of him and think we are very lucky.

Being able to manage a game when called upon to is an ability in itself. There are QB's who aren't able to do this and thus blow leads and lose games in the 4th quarter due to turning the ball over *cough* CK *cough*. Be proud of the ability, forget them if they don't see what we all see.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
If you haven't yet, listen to this fool (Colin Cowherd). Fast forward to around 4:20 and listen to what Colin said about Russell after the Super Bowl. (Colin acknowledged somewhere that he picked the Broncos, because he wanted to have Manning on his show after the Super Bowl.)

I hate Colin, but I think he is really on the money when he talks about Russell here. Looking at the teams that Seattle has faced this year, very few QBs would have had better numbers than Russell against these teams. And Andrew faced Arizona and St Louis and we all know how that went. Yes, Luck beat Seattle and 49er. But I doubt he could beat these teams twice. Not only did Seattle faced the teams in the toughest division, they faced the teams in the Second Toughest Division (NFC South) and went 4-0 against them.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Yeah it was bad but some just posted something interesting:

"Great post, all wrong but hey do not let the truth get in the way of a good lie. Now lets see in 2 years Luck has less wins, less SB wins, much lower QB rating, Lower YPA, less tds, worse td to int ratio, more ints, much lower comp %, less rushing yards, He does have more attempts and more yards, but when you only complete 57% of your passes you need to throw more. Of course he gets to through to a future HOF, so yeah I can see why he is still better, and if that was not enough Indys offense avg 232 passing ypg, Seattle 202 only 30 yards per game difference despite luck having over 160 more attempts, seems Wilson is doing the same and better with less attempts. If you really want to know go here. Now

http://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/1734 ... rback-ever

Like said great article just no truth or fact to support it."

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
How many SBs has Brady won, since his defenses have been decimated? ZERO. Nothing. NADA. Niet. Nichts ...
Looking at today's NFL, I think it will take a miracle (Patriots spending money) to see Brady or Manning win another SB.
I remember that in the only SB won by Manning, it was his defense that actually won it for him. He threw for 1TD and 1 INT... against Rex Grossman(?)...

AlphaOmega

Reaction score
Just a bunch of jealous fan bases.

I'll take the "game manager" who manage to the Super Bowl win (Wilson) over regular season fantasy football god only to flame out in the Big Game (Manning) any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

NFC West is the toughest division in the NFL when it comes to defense, and it's not even close. Put Arizona in NFC North or NFC East this past season and you can call the Cardinals division champs. Put Saint Louis (7-9) in AFC South or AFC North and the Chargers probably stay home watching the RAMS in the playoffs. Four of the Rams 9 loses came from Niners and our beloved Hawks and the Rams went 1-5 in the division. All four NFC West teams have a nasty front 7. The Cards, Niners and Hawks have pro bowlers in the secondary (Reed for Niners, Peterson for Cards, and Kam, Earl and Sherman for Hawks).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
People in the media that actually study film and watch the games know he is much more than a game manager and they stand up for him.

It is only ignorant people who only look at stat totals that call him that.

If you actually watch film you can see what a playmaker he is.

Can't make people watch film, so ignorant people will continue to call him that until he puts up gaudy stats.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hate to break it to folks but it's not going to change unless he starts throwing the ball 40 times per game (which he wont). I think he'll be alright with the label as he manages his collection of Super Bowl rings.

RezHawk

Reaction score
Who cares what other fanbases think. He's ours and they can't have him. As far as RW not generating much interest if he were to hit free agency I have to disagree. There would be at least 24 other teams falling all over themselves trying to sign him.

Anthony!

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3bfpygsn said:
If you haven't yet, listen to this fool (Colin Cowherd). Fast forward to around 4:20 and listen to what Colin said about Russell after the Super Bowl. (Colin acknowledged somewhere that he picked the Broncos, because he wanted to have Manning on his show after the Super Bowl.)

I hate Colin, but I think he is really on the money when he talks about Russell here. Looking at the teams that Seattle has faced this year, very few QBs would have had better numbers than Russell against these teams. And Andrew faced Arizona and St Louis and we all know how that went. Yes, Luck beat Seattle and 49er. But I doubt he could beat these teams twice. Not only did Seattle faced the teams in the toughest division, they faced the teams in the Second Toughest Division (NFC South) and went 4-0 against them.

So confused the written notes says he says Rw does not get credit for his role in the offense. At the 750 mark he is talking great on RW. He says RW is Special and more

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
People who actually know football, know what Russell brings. The idiots who only look at stats and fantasy football stuff are the one's who think Russell is overrated. Haters gonna hate.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
TXHawkFan":1vhhiu5k said:
I think a lot of this comes from a fantasy football mentality where a QB who doesn't throw the ball 35-40 times a game to rack up 300+ yards is considered an inferior QB. You can argue all you want about how much more efficient a passer Wilson is than many of those guys but it doesn't seem to penetrate. It's the same reason so many still insist that Andrew Luck is the better QB even though Wilson's stats are better virtually across the board and Luck just threw 7 picks in two playoff games. Luck throws more passes for more yards and has led some comebacks from large deficits so therefore he's a better QB even though he is far less efficient than Wilson and those deficits were due in large part to his own turnovers.

Let's call it like it is....over 50% of the fans live in a "Fantasy Football World"! The reality of Defensive football is lost on teams East of the Mississippi. The AFL is a totally "Offensive" division. Just ask John Gruden what he thinks of Russell Wilson.

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
Would you rather have a "Game Manager" or a douche bag stat QB like Stafford, Cutler or Romo??

I think I know the answer even though I don't think of RW3 as a game manager at all...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not that it matters since opposing fans have been proven wrong for quite a while...

but calling him a game manager for his stats is interesting given when Brady was in HIS first Super Bowl (also in his second year), I believe he passed for 145 yards and 1 TD.

He turned out OK for a while, I think Russell has shown he can do fine, with or without 'respect' from other fans (which exists in spades, btw).

niveky

Reaction score
trent dilfer was a game manager....does anyone think the hawks would have went 13-3 with anything resembling what he did in baltimore when they won?

el capitan

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2688suav said:
The good thing I see about this is that, If Russell were to hit the Free Agent market today, not many teams would bid for him and therefore, his price tag wouldn't be too high. I know fans don't sign free agents, but I'm sure lots of GMs don't think too differently. Meaning, we won't need to pay him Brees or Rogers or even Flacco money. And by keeping his salary relatively low, we can afford high priced free agents and depth at many positions. We can also afford a solid veteran backup like TJax (instead of some cheap rookie).

Whilst there are obviously a few pretty dumb GM's out there most aren't anything like as blinkered as most fan bases or the media. If Russell Wilson hit free agency today the only teams that wouldn't be bidding for him are those that are already spending $20m+ on their QB's.

I couldn't care less what the fans of other teams think, of course they don't want to accept that he's a franchise QB, they want to believe that with a couple of free agent signings and a good draft they'll be right up there challenging us for the NFC crown. But first they have to make us mortal. We have without doubt one of the greatest defenses of all time and we have Marshawn Lynch. Their greatness is not up for debate so if your gonna pick holes in the Seahawks the en vogue thing these days seems to be to attack Russell Wilson's stats.

But this is where most fans are retarded because we have a great running game and a great D so we don't need to throw for 400 yards per game. Every time Russell Wilson has to win a game for us he does. Think back to the Chicago game last season, the guy engineered TWO game winning drives back to back, and look at the games this season against the Texans and Bucs. Only Dan Marino has thrown more TD passes in his first two seasons, no-one has won more games in their first two years and since he joined the league he's one of only three QB's to finish both seasons with a QB rating over 100. The other two are Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning.

So in conclusion, fans of other teams are generally retarded and should be treated as such.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I'll take the 28-9 win manager, and so would 31 other teams. Our game manager would start on all but about 5 of them given a non height biased GM/coaching staff and an open shot to prove his stuff, regardless of pass or run heavy, regardless of big name receivers or not, regardless of if their OL is garbage, or lack of a running game.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sampling from NY Jets gameday threadhttp://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=80132&page=25http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=80132&page=25 (just picked a team at random):

Wilson just continues to play a spectacular game.

Wilson still making all the key plays on third down.

Wilson MVP.

Wilson: 18 for 24 , 206 yards, 2 TDs and 0 Ints.

Seattle D was one of the differences, but that shouldn't over shadow that Wilson is putting up a real superb effort -- from the first FG drive that they got gypped on the spot.

He put the game away in the 2nd half. Iced it basically

Im just happy for Russell Wilson, what a great story he is. The amount of dedication he has put in has paid off. He was overshadowed by Luck and RG3 out of the draft, but he will be the first to climb the mountain. I dont think this will be the last time we see him in this game and I really think it could be as early as next season.

RW3 never was a liability to his team all year. They haven't even put the offense on his back yet. This Seahawks team can be a dynasty.

What is more ironic, Seattle and Carroll tried to recruit Peyton and he completely blew them off and told them to leave with there plane. Seattle wanted him, he didnt want Seattle. Seattle goes and drafts Wilson and has a ton of money to spent elsewhere. Wilson plays a much better game in the Super Bowl. (Oh and might I add the Broncos drafted a QB by the name of Oisweiler instead of Wilson, yes the Broncos could have had Wilson on the bench right now)

Karma is a BITCH

You can find idiot fans anywhere, but the ones that understand the game recognize greatness. We can put the "disrespect" card away and stop with the battered fan syndrome. We got the Lombardi now.

drdiags

Reaction score
Fans can be sheeple. They also tend to like the concept of a high-powered offense, which isn't running the ball more than you pass it. They also want the short version and don't have time for detail. Each knows its own team the best and some are avid fantasy football players. Big Ben had a stinker of a Superbowl game but grew into a QB that many fans respect (though his off field activities leave a lot to be desired).

I do not care whether other fans respect Wilson. And it is kind of far-fetch to think teams wouldn't go after him if given the option just because the common Joe doesn't think much of him. I hope rival fans keep hating on him for the rest of his career. Means he is still breaking their hearts and pissing them off. I hear folks think the fix was in for the Seahawks as well. Seems only reasonable since the last time the team was in the Superbowl the opposite was conjectured.

I doubt anyone is going to have their minds changed about Wilson unless he repeats winning a the title a couple more times. I could go for that.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TXHawkFan":sx3bw3q9 said:
I think a lot of this comes from a fantasy football mentality where a QB who doesn't throw the ball 35-40 times a game to rack up 300+ yards is considered an inferior QB. You can argue all you want about how much more efficient a passer Wilson is than many of those guys but it doesn't seem to penetrate. It's the same reason so many still insist that Andrew Luck is the better QB even though Wilson's stats are better virtually across the board and Luck just threw 7 picks in two playoff games. Luck throws more passes for more yards and has led some comebacks from large deficits so therefore he's a better QB even though he is far less efficient than Wilson and those deficits were due in large part to his own turnovers.

This. Im sick of this fantasy football BS mentality. What more could Wilson do in that game. He played almost perfectly aside from the very first pass. After that I thought he was almost flawless. He lead the offense to a FG, FG and TD in the first 3 drives. The Broncos then had the ball from basically 12 or so minutes left in the second all the way til halftime where our offense just ran 1 play and went to halftime. Then Harvin runs it back and the offense doesnt get the ball back until like 10 minutes in the 3rd. They were off the field for basically a whole quarter of play.

What people dont realize is in those 3 drives he chewed up like 15 minutes of time and kept our defense well rested and kept manning off the field. People say oh luck could of won that one...really? you really think that? What if on our drive when we had the ball up 8 luck throws a int and denver scores quick. Then we are tied. Luck threw essentially a pick six to start the Patriot game. In his postseason career of 3 games he has 8int. You never see Wilson doing that. Wilson essentially has just the 1 fumble for turnovers in the SF game and thats it. I dont count the INT in Atlanta when he brought us back 20 down and STILL had a chance for a last second hailmary win.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
robohawk":3oymhrzo said:
of course he's a game manager.

Tom Brady was a game manager and won 3 Super Bowls
Joe Montana was a game manager until he was throwing to Jerry Rice.
Ben Roethlisberger was a game manager and won a pair of Super Bowls

To me, when bitter fans from other teams try to criticize a QB by calling him a "game manager", what they're saying is "your team is better than ours"

As long as we win the SB, I'm perfectly fine with having "just a game manager" as a QB, since it's the SB he's managing.

Big Ben was useless worthless loser in his first superbowl win. I believe he had 9 completions for like 120 yards 0TD 2INT and a 22 rating or something terrible like that. Nobody has been carried as hard as that in the supeerbowl

Latest posts