Denver's Defense

hawk79

Reaction score
What type of defense do they run?

I was watching First Take yesterday and Skip said they were the number 10 rush defense in the league. I think that could be a bit misleading since I don't think many teams ran on Denver if they got down by so much in the game. Also, aside from KC, I don't know of many power running games in the AFC, teams KNOWN for their running. Seems like the top backs were mostly in the NFC. Thoughts................

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Well, they shut down Blount, so that's all dorks like Bayless will need.

Inspector

Reaction score
Denver's what? I don't think they have one of those... hahahhaha

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawk79":2176yw1v said:

I was watching First Take yesterday and Skip said they were the number 10 rush defense in the league. I think that could be a bit misleading since I don't think many teams ran on Denver if they got down by so much in the game. Also, aside from KC, I don't know of many power running games in the AFC, teams KNOWN for their running. Seems like the top backs were mostly in the NFC. Thoughts................

That's about all you need to know about why that stat is so misleading. Why would teams with pedestrian defenses keep pounding the rock once Denver gets up by 2-3 scores? Denver made pretty much every opponent they saw try to beat them in a shootout, and you can't win shootouts on the ground (the way most teams are built). That stat likely speaks a lot more to Denver's offensive prowess than the ability of the guys on the field. It's going to be a different story in NJ because THIS defense has the chops to remove that shootout element from the game. I don't profess to know all that much about them, but I'll bet that D isn't going to look all that tough against the run after their punter gets more work than he's got all season and we free the beast all over them...

SeaWolv

Reaction score
DVOA ranks Denver #15 in team defense.

nsport

Reaction score
The question here is how what will be the scoring ratio for the Seahawks? If we get the ball 6 times in the first half, is their defense good enough to hold us to a 50% ratio (scoring 13-21 points?)? If that is the case will Denver's offense be so prolific they can score on 4 or 5 of six drives (16-30 points)? This game (like all Manning games) comes down to limiting their scoring opportunities and once in the red zone holding them to FG's. They will get theirs. No question. It's how does our offense respond? How good is their defense really? My gut says we will do our damnedest to hold them to 5 possessions per half and try to avoid a shootout.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Patriots abandoned the running game just like everybody else. But the Donkies did shut down Blount in the first guarter.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The 2 teams Denver lost to in the last half of the season were the Patriots #21 DVOA in team defense and the Chargers #32 in DVOA.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Denver is 7th against the run, and 27th against the pass, for an overall #15th rank.

Both of these IMO are deceptive. They get up on teams early, so their opponents have had to pass A LOT, so #27 against the pass is deceptive. Conversely because teams have had to pass had made their run defense look better than it is.

Bottom line, their defense is nowhere near as good as SF, Arizona, NO or even the Rams. I expect our offense to bust out in the SB.

Hawks46

Reaction score
CANHawk":3ky7v4o0 said:
hawk79":3ky7v4o0 said:

That's about all you need to know about why that stat is so misleading. Why would teams with pedestrian defenses keep pounding the rock once Denver gets up by 2-3 scores? Denver made pretty much every opponent they saw try to beat them in a shootout, and you can't win shootouts on the ground (the way most teams are built). That stat likely speaks a lot more to Denver's offensive prowess than the ability of the guys on the field. It's going to be a different story in NJ because THIS defense has the chops to remove that shootout element from the game. I don't profess to know all that much about them, but I'll bet that D isn't going to look all that tough against the run after their punter gets more work than he's got all season and we free the beast all over them...

The Rams' Championship team (2001 ?) was a top 10 run defense as well. And for the same reason. When you're down 17 points in the first quarter, you're going to abandon the run.

The best run team they've faced this year is KC. So, what did KC do against them ? I know it was close in the 1st half of both games. It's not gospel as they have different personnel than us, but yea, it could tell us something.

Hawks46

Reaction score
nsport":cgyw1700 said:
The question here is how what will be the scoring ratio for the Seahawks? If we get the ball 6 times in the first half, is their defense good enough to hold us to a 50% ratio (scoring 13-21 points?)? If that is the case will Denver's offense be so prolific they can score on 4 or 5 of six drives (16-30 points)? This game (like all Manning games) comes down to limiting their scoring opportunities and once in the red zone holding them to FG's. They will get theirs. No question. It's how does our offense respond? How good is their defense really? My gut says we will do our damnedest to hold them to 5 possessions per half and try to avoid a shootout.

I've said before that if our defense can keep Denver to 24 or less we'd win. I'd even go as far as 30 or less.

If we can score 23 on the Niners, we can score 30 on Denver. They haven't faced anything like our team.

Defense is historically elite and offense with Wilson's scrambling anything they've played this year. Unless you count the preseason.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawks46":jis1r3zz said:
The best run team they've faced this year is KC. So, what did KC do against them ? I know it was close in the 1st half of both games. It's not gospel as they have different personnel than us, but yea, it could tell us something.

Jamaal Charles vs. Denver:

Game 1: 78 yards/16 ATT.
Game 2: 93 yards/19 ATT.

4.9 yards per carry. His season average was 5.0. Pretty solid.

Edit: one thing Denver did do well, though, was neutralize Charles in the passing game. He's been a big weapon there for KC all season.

nsport

Reaction score
Hawks46":1jn6xo9o said:
nsport":1jn6xo9o said:

I've said before that if our defense can keep Denver to 24 or less we'd win. I'd even go as far as 30 or less.

If we can score 23 on the Niners, we can score 30 on Denver. They haven't faced anything like our team.

Defense is historically elite and offense with Wilson's scrambling anything they've played this year. Unless you count the preseason.

Yea - I think this is a blended point by you and I: http://espn.go.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=340119007

The possessions indicate for Denver against NE, that they could not be stopped - and also chewed up the clock. Their conversion ratio on offense was sickening, only one punt and scored on six consecutive drives - but only had a 33% TD:FG ratio - however, they dominated TOP, and had the ball the final 3 minutes of the game. I was surprised that Manning only had 8 possessions the entire game....

These are the stats we need to win - I like that they only had a 33% TD:FG ratio and I also feel like our defense might even be able to get them to punt more than once in a game - which adds lots of flavor to the Seahawks side of the equation.