I'm sick of reading "Wilson performance decline"

tom sawyer

Reaction score
HELLO!!

He is NOT IN CONTROL OF HIS PLAYS, this comes from HIS BOSS(s).

So there is no way to truly "rate" his "ability" because it has been WITHDRAWN/WITHHELD on his play making. The reason I know this... his PC the other day he said something about not caring about stats (ratings etc) and playing PC kind of ball. Secure the ball!!

So all those naysayers dissin' on my man dangeRUSS, blow off!!! /rant off

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Honestly, it's to the point now where when I hear that I just chuckle a little to myself. I listened to Russell's press conference yesterday, and he was relaxed and yet obviously focused. I came away from that interview thinking to myself "It's like he's been preparing for this game specifically for his entire life."

Russell will be ready tomorrow. We don't have to worry about him.

amill87

Reaction score
I mentioned it in the thread I made but the Hawks have played much better defenses than the Niners.

The Hawks have played 5 top 15 overall defenses and 4 top 15 pass defenses in the past 5.
The Niners have played 2 top 15 overall defenses and 1 top 15 pass defense in the past 5.

Sometimes in the NFL, you really do play against good teams and they effect how you play.

Giblien

Reaction score
So Bevell told him to not throw accurately? Don't get me wrong, I love wilson, but his play has not been as good lately. I think the criticism is warranted.

amill87

Reaction score
To take it one step further, Wilson has played against 4 top 10 overall defenses in the past 5 and two top 5 overall defenses.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Giblien":aten6efd said:
So Bevell told him to not throw accurately? Don't get me wrong, I love wilson, but his play has not been as good lately. I think the criticism is warranted.

Maybe but his boss sin't helping him out much either.

sutz

Reaction score
Giblien":19cdr38w said:
Uh, no. Bevell told Wilson to not throw interceptions. Those who criticize always feel that it is warrented. Reality need not apply.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Giblien":2mb7kbqb said:

That accuracy is a small % of the criticisms.

plyka

Reaction score
tom sawyer":vympm7hy said:
HELLO!!

He is NOT IN CONTROL OF HIS PLAYS, this comes from HIS BOSS(s).

So there is no way to truly "rate" his "ability" because it has been WITHDRAWN/WITHHELD on his play making. The reason I know this... his PC the other day he said something about not caring about stats (ratings etc) and playing PC kind of ball. Secure the ball!!

So all those naysayers dissin' on my man dangeRUSS, blow off!!! /rant off

I think you're being biased here. Of course it is playcalling / Pete's philosophy which has caused an overall decline in numbers. But Russell's numbers have declined even when you eliminate these outside influences. When you look at his efficiency numbers, they too have declined over the last 5 weeks, minus the Rams game so 4 out of the last 5 weeks. When you look at the Rams game, that's traditional Russell. He only had 172 yards passing. But he had a completion % in the mid 60% range. A 65% completion percentage. Threw zero INTs and a TD. He had a 102 QB rating. You don't need 400+ yards to get a 100+ QB Rating, you just have to be efficient. In Wilson's other 4 games inside the last 5, his QB rating is 71. His completion percentage is in the mid 50's.

All that said, he hasn't been playing bad and any talk of him being "average" is ridiculous. I expect him to come through this game.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":26oyujkn said:
Russell will be ready tomorrow. We don't have to worry about him.

Let's just hope he will be ready Sunday too. ;)

kjreid

Reaction score
The bigger question is will our receivers get off the ball and create space, RW is holding the ball along time and the receivers are not creating space.

mikeak

Reaction score
I am in the camp that says he hasn't been as accurate. I think part of that is the focus on mistake free football

The other part is clearly throwing in to many 3rd down situations skewing the stats and then a very conservative play calling.

Now the whole tough defense discussion. Sorry don't want to hear it. One of those top 5 defenses is SF49ers....... the team and RW better be able to play good offense against them

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":27o0cqid said:
Giblien":27o0cqid said:

Maybe but his boss sin't helping him out much either.

It's both. Bevell and Pete aren't doing Russell any favors with a conservative game plan where he's only thrown on obvious passing downs. But Russell has also been a little more indecisive and inaccurate at times over the past month.

amill87

Reaction score
I think it's much more simple than we think.

We have played some really good defenses the past 5 games and with the exception of the Saints, mediocre offenses.

We've held the lead in 4th in all 5 games and in both losses, the other team made a low percentage play. How many times will Frank Gore run for 51 yards because our LBs, all-pro safety, and all-pro corner all made mistakes? How many times will Floyd catch a ball that Maxwell tips twice?

I think the game plan has been to not make a mistake against some really good defense and give the mediocre offenses a better chance to score. It's worked more often that not. If we play against better offenses or fall behind, we always see a much more aggressive game plan and Wilson racks up some stats.

There's two times Wilson will get a lot of stats. If we are just dominating and blowing teams out. If our defense isn't doing as good and our offense has to score to keep up.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am thinking and remember Bill Parcells and Phil Simms, it took a long time for Phil to get his Kudos because Bill has the same type philosophy. It was when they had issues running the ball that they opened things up and you saw he was competent. Wilson has been able to do that already but they have reined him back with how things have played out.

When they need him he will be there, the real question is do Pete and Bevell recognise it early enough in a situation to let him succeed.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Giblien":1z65xyis said:

This. I like Wilson as much as anyone but he hasn't been playing as well the last few weeks. Maybe because we have played some good defenses too though.

13thMan

Reaction score
amill87":1uiszutr said:
I mentioned it in the thread I made but the Hawks have played much better defenses than the Niners.

The Hawks have played 5 top 15 overall defenses and 4 top 15 pass defenses in the past 5.
The Niners have played 2 top 15 overall defenses and 1 top 15 pass defense in the past 5.

Sometimes in the NFL, you really do play against good teams and they effect how you play.

Where do the Niners rank?