I'm sick of reading "Wilson performance decline"

seadoc30

Reaction score
Pete wants no turnovers, but RW has thrown more interceptions in the last 5-6 shitty games than he had in any other stretch.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I am more than confident our D can win this game and Wilson just has to not turn it over and do just enough to win.

Kaepernick has had his 1st and 4th worst games against us this season. Interestingly enough 3 of those 4 games were played IN SF against the Colts, Panthers and Us. In both games this year he has a 20.1 rating and a 67.5 rating.

Last year the game at Seattle was his worst game that year as well. He had a QB rating of 59.9 if you take off the last TD with 2 or so minutes to go down 30 with backups playing. If you want to keep it he had a 72 rating which was STILL his worst game that year.

3 of his worst 5 performances in his NFL Career have been against the Seahawks and he only has scored 1 time when it was actually meaningful.

This is Kaeps Career against the seahawks in 3 games:
47/93 50.5% completion, 546 yards 2TD 5INT (1TD if you exclude the one he got in garbage time) 53.4 QB rating, 49.8 QB Rating if you take the second TD away.

For comparison here are Wilsons 4 games against the niners
47/84 55.5% completion, 634 yards, 6TD, 4INT, 84.1 QB rating.

Happybelly

Reaction score
seadoc30":v5o97seb said:
Pete wants no turnovers, but RW has thrown more interceptions in the last 5-6 shitty games than he had in any other stretch.

This is false.

He had a hail mary interception against the Niners and a fluke INT that never should have been an interception against the Cards. The only legit interception he had was against the Giants which was a legitimately bad throw and decision.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think he has looked a little off, but at the same time I don't think it's any cause for concern. He has played against tough defenses and last Saturday's weather conditions made it tough to throw the ball. Brees had a tough time throwing the ball, too.

Many Seahawks fans I have seen who think he has struggled have not done so with a "the sky is falling" attitude.

I just want to see a big game out of him and am fully confident that we will get it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Happybelly":9jmssnvq said:
seadoc30":9jmssnvq said:

This is false.

He had a hail mary interception against the Niners and a fluke INT that never should have been an interception against the Cards. The only legit interception he had was against the Giants which was a legitimately bad throw and decision.

Totally agree..in the last 8 games played he only has 3 int and 11 TD. @49ers the int was a last second heave with 20 seconds left and Kearse even slipped down and it was easy pickings. The cards INT was at the end of the game and was the Baldwin "off his arm" bullshit call.

plyka

Reaction score
kjreid":2j92o4a2 said:
The bigger question is will our receivers get off the ball and create space, RW is holding the ball along time and the receivers are not creating space.

I've heard this a lot, but quite frankly I disagree with it entirely. There is no space in the NFL. Is this what made Gonzales the best TE in the game? Are Crabtree and boldin running down the sidelines free?

No one has space in the NFL. It's all about throwing your man open. And Wilson has been reluctant because he is playing so conservatively and quite frankly the scheme. What Wilson needs to do is take more risks. You can throw to a man that is covered you just have to throw it right. It's about using space, and the WR is important here as well. They need to position themselves better. Quite frankly Sherman does this better than any I the WRs on this team. Position yourself between the man and the space Wilson can throw to.

If you wait til they are wide open you'll fail on 75% of your pass plays.

justafan

Reaction score
When he first took over QB I was really waiting to see what happens when he has one of those total blowout,5 sack,4 interception ,sub 50% completion games where everything is going wrong and he takes the beating of his life just to see how he responds and bounces back.All QBs go through those periods,its part of the learning curve.
He really hasnt had those kinds of games.From what I remember his lousy games and multiple pick s came from freak bounces or people falling down.
If this is his bad streak where he throws for a 100 yds in a playoff win I will take it.We have been damn lucky with his progress as a QB and having him be a hawk.He is still growing and learning/
This team plays old school football and I love it.

HawkWow

Reaction score
tom sawyer":2aez9iy7 said:
HELLO!!

He is NOT IN CONTROL OF HIS PLAYS, this comes from HIS BOSS(s).

So there is no way to truly "rate" his "ability" because it has been WITHDRAWN/WITHHELD on his play making. The reason I know this... his PC the other day he said something about not caring about stats (ratings etc) and playing PC kind of ball. Secure the ball!!

So all those naysayers dissin' on my man dangeRUSS, blow off!!! /rant off

Wow Tom. This is really tearing you up. Thank goodness I'm here to help:

This line is open 24 hrs per day...just give them a call if you are again exposed to someone critiquing Russell Wilson. This is what they are here for and these people are professionals (according to their website). 1800-273-TALK. You might also be able to find some relief at their website mentalhealth.org. Wishing you well in your time of torment.

TJH

Reaction score
This post reeks of someone trying to talk themself out of nervousness. The plays have been subpar at times, but Wilson shares some of the blame as well. He was very inaccurate in the Saints game and couldn't throw a simple 5 yard slant.

Anthony!

Reaction score
OKay lets put some things to rest shall we

NO play off game Qb rating 68, 50% compl % (this includes 3 drops)
Game before 65% completion 102 qb rating Rams
AZ game QB rating 50, 41% compl %
game before 67% completion 86 QB rating only because of one improbable int. NYG
game before 60% completion 82 QB rating again due to a hail mary int SF
game before 73% completion 140 QB rating NO

So his last 6 games, have had some ups and some downs but only 2 truly bad games, 2 avg games, 2 good games

Now why on the play calling

1. WR they do not get separation, and the have had an increase in drops, and they are also not moving when RW scrambles like they use to. We do not have a true #1 we have a bunch of #2 and #3, that is a problem.
2. Play calling has been conservative, and predictable, very few screens, crossing patterns, picks etc. A lot of passing on obvious passing downs, think about it the last real big offensive game we had was NO in the regular season, rewatch it, see how many different plays we called, how many patterns we ran, there is a huge difference.
3 O-line has been at best pedestrian in pass blocking

"Tim Hasselbeck broke down tape and said what I and others have been saying. The receivers flat out don't get separation. Its hard to pull the trigger if every time you have to throw a perfect ball."

Hugh Milan said basically the same thing.

For those of you saying throw them open, well that is a problem to throw Wr like ours hope you must take a chance and PC does not want that. The whole no WR is open is wrong, how long they are open is one thing, but they do get open, whether it is through their own ability or through game design but they do, ours do not and that is a huge problem.

While I agree RW has missed some throughs, the majority of the problem lies with play calling and game planning as several experts have pointed out. Now all that said they might open it back up Sunday we will see.

chris98251

Reaction score
Getting open can be done with body position, route running, speed, or going to a spot on a timing route on the field, historically we have had the same type issues regardless who is at WR under Carrolls leadership. Everyone complained about the same stuff with TJack, Hass, and now Russell, it's the offense system and what is called. We are a no risk passing team which reflects on the QB as far as stats and appearence, but I beleive it's more and more by design.

Getting and looking for that tall big body receiver has been a quest for this franchise, it's so we can throw high and away with no risk passes against smaller players. What Mike Williams was good at in that short time he was here and why his number was callled so much.

hawk45

Reaction score
#1 WR being out. Playcalling turning him into Alex Smith at best. A guy who you have to point to his QB rating for comfort, but when you watch the game you're concerned that when the big play is there, he may not pull the trigger or be able to execute. Which is unfortunate because Russ has more to offer than that.

It's a winning strategy a lot of the time. Against a very good team whose weakness is their secondary like the Niners, I don't like it. Russell takes care of the ball well enough just from his own instincts, I think a gameplan designed to minimize his mistakes further is redundant and potentially self-sabotage.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawk45":2srcqt0q said:
#1 WR being out. Playcalling turning him into Alex Smith at best. A guy who you have to point to his QB rating for comfort, but when you watch the game you're concerned that when the big play is there, he may not pull the trigger or be able to execute. Which is unfortunate because Russ has more to offer than that.

It's a winning strategy a lot of the time. Against a very good team whose weakness is their secondary like the Niners, I don't like it. Russell takes care of the ball well enough just from his own instincts, I think a gameplan designed to minimize his mistakes further is redundant and potentially self-sabotage.

Agreed

Weadoption

Reaction score
The biggest asterisk to this game in the event of a Hawks loss is not having Harvin and Rice.
That's also the largest factor in RW's passing numbers for the season, more than anything else imo.
I'm surprised though that most of the media stories when Kap struggled were about hurt receivers but with Wilson it's ineffective qb play.
Could be just the sample of stories I read but whatevs....

hawk45

Reaction score
Weadoption":2mhb6fdm said:
The biggest asterisk to this game in the event of a Hawks loss is not having Harvin and Rice.
That's also the largest factor in RW's passing numbers for the season, more than anything else imo.
I'm surprised though that most of the media stories when Kap struggled were about hurt receivers but with Wilson it's ineffective qb play.
Could be just the sample of stories I read but whatevs....

I agree with this. On this board there was a lot of talk about Kaepernick being fatally flawed during the time he didn't have Crabtree, but I always felt like we really could only finalize that evaluation when Crabtree returned. Crabtree back, all of a sudden Kaepernick is effective once again. Maybe not dropping 300 left and right, but against Carolina he looked like he could make a play or several on a drive, on the road, against a vicious D. Okay yeah he looked the same vs. Green Bay but good God does he ever have the whammy on Green Bay what is that.

One thing affecting the analysis of Wilson was that there was a stretch, with the OL 3/5 injured and without Rice or Harvin, where he was effective. Not lighting it up, but effective. My personal take is that it perhaps took a few games for the NFL to adjust and then take advantage of the lack of a #1. That, and we started playing better defenses.

Another thing is, we've seen games where guys were wide open and Wilson missed obviously, and that feels new. Historically he's started games throwing high for a little, but we began to see games where he was throwing high for an entire half, or throwing inaccurately an entire game more or less. Not all or many games, but some. And we never used to see that. Last year he was never the reason we lost a game and often the reason we won. This year a couple of times he's come close to being the reason for a loss, and not at all in the last 5 games was there ever a feeling that he (not a defense creating multiple short fields) was the reason we won. He did make a huge play vs. the Saints, and the Saints game was freak weather so my analysis sort of leaves that game out.

But at any rate, yes, I think not having a legit #1, even a guy like Rice who isn't highest of the high #1 WRs, is a bigger factor with Wilson than it's getting credit for.

Axx

Reaction score
he is without sidney rice also which i am starting to believe plays a big factor.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Axx":3jmgp7e5 said:
he is without sidney rice also which i am starting to believe plays a big factor.

Agreed. I noticed this a few weeks ago and thought...really? But it appears Rice was much more valuable to this offense than I ever thought he was, or gave him credit for. Even still, pretty sure he's played his last game as a Hawk, unless he wants to cut his salary in half, which still may not be enough, IMO.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
IMO part of this is still ongoing line issues. At first it was 4/5 of the OL gone or playing out of position that was getting Wilson tenderized which forced us increasingly to take the TE and the FB out of the passing game and max protect Wilson, which paid dividends. Wilson made their aggressiveness work against them both throwing and running.

But towards the end, at least the smart teams played contain instead of all out blitz. Now they're getting coverage sacks and pressure because we are thin at WR and they are blanketing whats left, and we haven't been on the ball phasing our TE and FBs back into the plan.