Greg Cossell on the Myth of Seattle Secondary's Grabbiness

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Greg Cossell is one of the most respected NFL analysts out there and is noted for watching tons of tape on teams across the league.

Here are his thoughts:

#49ers … Is the #Seahawks secondary really the NFL's grabbiest group? NFL Films' Greg Cosell weighed in on @KNBR …

“I think that’s probably myth,” Cosell said. “When you watch tape, everybody does stuff. It’s just you’re talking about a good team that’s in the spotlight, very visible, with a lot of talkative guys. And I can tell you right now – and I know in San Francisco they may not like to hear it – that’s the best secondary in football and it’s not close.

"Earl Thomas is hands down the best free safety in the game, there’s probably no one in the discussion. (Cornerback Richard) Sherman, if you just watch Sherman on film, the guy is unbelievable. It’s the old Michael Irvin discussion about him pushing off. After awhile, it’s irrelevant. If the flag’s not out, then it doesn’t matter. It’s not a hold.”

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2kcf03k1 said:
Greg Cossell is one of the most respected NFL analysts out there and is noted for watching tons of tape on teams across the league.

Here are his thoughts:

#49ers … Is the #Seahawks secondary really the NFL's grabbiest group? NFL Films' Greg Cosell weighed in on @KNBR …

“I think that’s probably myth,” Cosell said. “When you watch tape, everybody does stuff. It’s just you’re talking about a good team that’s in the spotlight, very visible, with a lot of talkative guys. And I can tell you right now – and I know in San Francisco they may not like to hear it – that’s the best secondary in football and it’s not close.

"Earl Thomas is hands down the best free safety in the game, there’s probably no one in the discussion. (Cornerback Richard) Sherman, if you just watch Sherman on film, the guy is unbelievable. It’s the old Michael Irvin discussion about him pushing off. After awhile, it’s irrelevant. If the flag’s not out, then it doesn’t matter. It’s not a hold.”

I actually do believe they hold alot, but if the refs don't call it why wouldn't you? It would be stupid NOT to take advantage of that.

Not sure why SF wouldn't want to hear that Seattle is the best secondary in the NFL. They are. It's not close.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
A good part of being the best position player in the league is playing right up to the boundary of the rules.

Seattle's secondary plays very close to that boundary and they are the best in the league.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I think Cossell is right, Seattle just has the best secondary in the NFL. Other teams and fans use the "Seattle Cheats" argument to explain why their own secondary sucks compared to Seattle.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So you mean the Cowboys CB on NFL AM this morning was talking out his ass when he quoted the WSJ hack piece from last week, and when I say repeated verbatim without sourcing it, "The Seahawks have made an art out of pass interference"?

jblaze

Reaction score
There was a great write up some time back on here about what the rules will and will not allow you to do in coverage. In given situations, you can actually get away with a lot given that the ball is not in the air, you're under 5 yds from the line of scrimmage, your head is turned or if you're actively going for the ball. You're entitled to the ball as much as the WR is and if you play it like a WR and work the ball, not the player, they'll let you do just about anything you want.

We mug guys in man coverage off the line and people thin that's holding or PI but you can do just about anything but tackle a guy within 5 yards.

Our guys get their heads turned around and play the ball better than any team period. Sherman is always watching the QB and "feels" the WR and his route and usually runs a better route than the WR does. I don't see many other DB's turning their heads around to watch the ball or the QB at all.

I don't understand why they don't teach these techniques to more DB's in the league. We do a great job of coaching and choosing guys with a certain skill set but it can't be THAT rare.

mikeak

Reaction score
Don't worry - if we do hold on Sunday and beat 49ers then Harbaugh will tell everyone about it for the next 20 weeks so we will know for sure :)

at least he can stop complaining about the superbowl then

He did it after the GB win said something like kaepernick just took off as he saw throughout the game that they kept holding our receivers

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Marvin49":9zgb79t9 said:
DavidSeven":9zgb79t9 said:

Here are his thoughts:

I actually do believe they hold alot, but if the refs don't call it why wouldn't you? It would be stupid NOT to take advantage of that.
Not sure why SF wouldn't want to hear that Seattle is the best secondary in the NFL. They are. It's not close.

kind of like how Bolden and Crabtree are kings of the push off and never seem to get called (yet somehow Golden Tate has been called 3 times this year for the same thing) . I remember in the 1st SF vs Rams game on national TV. Bolden get's open for a huge gain to jumpstart the SF offense. On replay it's a blatant push off and a non-call. Unbelievable. Crabtree got away with a big pushoff against Carolina.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Marvin49":3e0x3niu said:
DavidSeven":3e0x3niu said:

Here are his thoughts:

No offense or anything, but I feel 49er fans need to shut up about this subject. Because anything I've seen us get away with... a guy named Carlos Rogers on the team gets away with much worse "mugging". His signature move is literally pinning the arms of the receiver down, just before the catch, he's very quick about it and ihe s also very good at playing the ball in the process.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3he443xi said:
Marvin49":3he443xi said:
DavidSeven":3he443xi said:

Here are his thoughts:

No offense or anything, but I feel 49er fans need to shut up about this subject. Because anything I've seen us get away with... a guy named Carlos Rogers on the team gets away with much worse "mugging". His signature move is literally pinning the arms of the receiver down, just before the catch, he's very quick about it and ihe s also very good at playing the ball in the process.

uh...didn't I just say they would be stupid not to do it if it doesn't get called?

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't think Anquan Boldin has ever completed a reception without pushing a DB off him first.

Smellyman

Reaction score
jlwaters1":quxjl3ov said:
Marvin49":quxjl3ov said:
DavidSeven":quxjl3ov said:

Here are his thoughts:

kind of like how Bolden and Crabtree are kings of the push off and never seem to get called (yet somehow Golden Tate has been called 3 times this year for the same thing) . I remember in the 1st SF vs Rams game on national TV. Bolden get's open for a huge gain to jumpstart the SF offense. On replay it's a blatant push off and a non-call. Unbelievable. Crabtree got away with a big pushoff against Carolina.

bingo.

Boldin also never gets called for being the biggest on the field douche in football.

Marvin49

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1rvzy5xh said:
Marvin49":1rvzy5xh said:
DavidSeven":1rvzy5xh said:

Here are his thoughts:

Crab has actually been hit with it 2 or 3 times in his short time back.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
In a year where Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson were drafted, Greg Cosell said the most intriguing quarterback in the 2012 class was Ryan Lindley.

Overrated views.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1svww5i6 said:
In a year where Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson were drafted, Greg Cosell said the most intriguing quarterback in the 2012 class was Ryan Lindley.

Overrated views.

Cosell is hit and miss, like most analysts.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2e6kly2i said:

Overrated views.

I don't think he's always right either, but he didn't say he was better than those prospects. He simply found him intriguing, because he had a mix of an NFL arm and terrible accuracy that might be fixable with coaching.

"Questions with Lindley are inconsistent accuracy and ability to learn, [in terms of] processing information and reading coverage. What can be coached? At this point Lindley is more of a fastball pitcher than touch passer. He also [has a] tendency to widen his base too much on throws, [which] impacts accuracy."

"[With Lindley, there's a ] fine line [between] making tough (NFL) throws into tight windows and throwing into coverage. [He] crossed the line at times but also [made some] wow throws. No question, Lindley has concerns, but you see big time NFL throws on film. Don't see those throws with [Arizona's Nick] Foles. Major projection [based on] film."

Then, Cosell finished his train of thought with this, ostensibly referring to many of the concerns he cited with Lindley and the other quarterbacks he was evaluating:

"I'm big believer in coaching. All rookie QBs need work [on] mechanics, understanding offense & defense. How they're manipulated [is] critical."

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1gududkr said:

Here are his thoughts:

I believe you have to provide a link when you quote correct? Not trying to be the .net police here, just want a link lol :)

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":g38kfd1h said:
DavidSeven":g38kfd1h said:

Here are his thoughts:

I believe you have to provide a link when you quote correct? Not trying to be the .net police here, just want a link lol :)

It was tweeted out by a writer for the San Francisco Chronicle and then retweeted by Danny Kelly (FieldGulls editor).

https://twitter.com/Eric_Branch/status/ ... 2153531392