Pete Carroll Show COMING UP on KIRO

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pete's Monday Radio show is coming up any minute.

[urltargetblank]http://player.originpull.cdn.liquidcompass.net/KIROAM[/urltargetblank]

Will try to post an overview of what I hear

Abach

Reaction score
Talking about playing not to lose... wish they had more of a play to win mentality with leads at the end of games.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Show started a little late but here goes....

What the Saints game looked like...said it matched up great with the wind the rain and the fans. We had to play a little differently due to the weather...kicking, throwing and catching were all a factor due to the weather.

on Lynch's performance....Said Lynch was cranked up for the game Saturday...said he just wanted the ball again and again...said that it was just great how he was able to top it off with the big run towards the end for a touchdown.

Said it was great that Harvin was a factor in the first half. Said it was unfortunate that he got hurt in the first half (didn't blame anyone)

Asked if they were targeting Harvin....no, they were making breaks on the ball and just was a tough break.

Thinks the Niners matchup is what everyone wanted to see. Said neither team minds it one bit. Says it's the best matchup in the NFC.

on Panthers/Niners....Said he watched the game with his family...doesn't rewind or anything, just enjoyed the game. Said you could tell that the Panthers were too hyped and you could tell that they were the team not used to being in the playoffs.

Although there are things we'd like to do better like stopping the run, but in the big picture we mostly did things the way we wanted to in this game (defensively) On offense we didn't throw the ball as well as we'd like but there were reasons why (didn't extrapolate on the reasons but I'd guess they were weather related)

Is it different to play a team you are familiar with in the playoffs and does it change how you prepare....No, we still do things the same way. Said this time of the year hours of sleep are short but it's a blast and a thrill to be this deep in the playoffs. Called it a Really Cool Matchup

What stood out in the game in Candlestick......we should have won that game. Said they did a fantastic job with the last drive..It was basically a one play game and that play got them into field goal range. Said they have been playing very well and very consistent of late. Good balance on offense and their defense is always really good and they are even kicking the ball well.

On our defense influencing what our offense does....We are trying to play good football by not giving up the football and playing with the attitude that we want. Basically described our football as a game of field position and possession. Says we don't give up the ball and we take away the ball and kick really well and being consistent in these areas get us our wins. Says that with leads we often have to play the clock. Says he thought we did that well Saturday but we didn't need to give them the onside kick.

About less passing and less dynamic passing...joked that no we aren't trying to get less yards....attributes a lot of it to the defenses we play against. Said he would love to get more yards and that we can still improve, but he wants our offense to control the ball and not give it up.

Update on injuries - Won't know until wednesday or thursday with Harvin due to the concussion protocol....no other players mentioned so I assume the rest are ok.

How he felt after the Baldwin catch...said the saints gave us the right look and they feel very comfortable with that play in that situation (I believe it was cover zero). Said it was a gutsy call that worked out beautifully.

Played a post game Russell Wilson quote where he said there are 60 minutes of football left until the superbowl and that's pretty awesome and 120 to win the whole thing and that we need to concentrate on those 60 minutes.... Pete said Russell is a great motivator and backs up everything he says. They have been very disciplined in keeping with the "this game now" mantra and that Wilson is a great leader in this regard. Said they are thrilled with the win but they all know they haven't reached their goal yet and they are all focused on that goal.

On the game coming sunday..hopes the fans are ready to enjoy a great spectacle. when it comes to gametime we are right back to football....said that Marshawn likesl to say right before gametime that it's just football.

Said the ball bounces crazy sometimes and that he hopes it bounces our way but all they can do is play very hard and they are going to do that.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Brock and Danny, the older speaker (whos really good) just owned all Seahawk fans that are doubting.

GG 49ers, GG.

I full expect to see the Seahawks in the superb owl.

Full confidence.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Abach":1d4j9tk7 said:
Talking about playing not to lose... wish they had more of a play to win mentality with leads at the end of games.

Yeah, that worked out great for Andy Reid earlier.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for writing up the synopsis for those of us who can't listen, kidhawk!

amill87

Reaction score
At some point, we have to just trust Pete. Dude is pretty honest. I doubted him about Harvin but he is likely telling the truth about the hip all year.

With that said, he emphasized a few times that the offense did exactly what they gameplanned for. They missed a couple throws and they know it, but he is very happy if Wilson only throws it 20 times.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Here's a link to the podcast

[urltargetblank]http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=9966164&p=1027&n=Pete%20Carroll%20Show[/urltargetblank]

mikeak

Reaction score
Kidhawk - thanks!

Yeah what I don't like "he wants our offense to control the ball and not give it up." - I am ok with not giving it up :) but I am hoping that weather made us not go downfield on a bad secondary and not just wanting to hold on to the ball

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":2d8xw9vm said:
Kidhawk - thanks!

Yeah what I don't like "he wants our offense to control the ball and not give it up." - I am ok with not giving it up :) but I am hoping that weather made us not go downfield on a bad secondary and not just wanting to hold on to the ball

The weather may have affected some of Russell's accuracy, but I don't think it affected the playcalling. It was obvious that Pete wanted to run the ball and rely on the defense to hold up.

It's just frustrating to be freaking out in the 4th quarter because we're only up 16-0 and our defense is tired from too many three and out's by the offense and the other team's starting to score and get things going.................. when we should be up 24-0 and coasting to a victory. Instead we kicking our pets and screaming obscenities when Golden doesn't catch onside kicks.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":hpu44ysr said:
mikeak":hpu44ysr said:
Kidhawk - thanks!

The weather may have affected some of Russell's accuracy, but I don't think it affected the playcalling. It was obvious that Pete wanted to run the ball and rely on the defense to hold up.

It's just frustrating to be freaking out in the 4th quarter because we're only up 16-0 and our defense is tired from too many three and out's by the offense and the other team's starting to score and get things going.................. when we should be up 24-0 and coasting to a victory. Instead we kicking our pets and screaming obscenities when Golden doesn't catch onside kicks.
Saints had the ball 1 minute more than we did. So the whole "defense is tired from too many three and outs" is more perception than reality.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3ch04dnw said:
Sgt. Largent":3ch04dnw said:
mikeak":3ch04dnw said:
Kidhawk - thanks!

Saints had the ball 1 minute more than we did. So the whole "defense is tired from too many three and outs" is more perception than reality.

What was the 2nd half time of possession? My guess is the Saints had quite a bit more of it in the 2nd half.

It's no coincidence that our D has had problems holding teams late in the 4th quarter at times (Arizona, SF, Atlanta last year), and some of that is attributed to our offense not eating up clock with 1st downs and longer drives throughout the game. You just can't continually hope your defense holds up EVERY SINGLE SERIES in the 4th quarter......that's a recipe for disaster. For God's sake, this is the playoffs, take the foot off the brake.

ceej22

Reaction score
mikeak":2wwl4fm1 said:
Kidhawk - thanks!

You do realize NO was a top 4 defense in terms of total yards AND #2 in terms of passing yards allowed per game.