A Voice of Reason

PryorFamily

Reaction score
As the clock hit zero you could feel the tangible sense of disbelief. It's a shock to lose at home. We've become accustomed to a kind of home dominance that is simply not sustainable and today reality brought us back to an unavoidable truth: All things, all records, all streaks.....end. It's inevitable.

But why the panic? Why the emotional outrage? Why the blame?

I think that we in Seattle who have braved the kind of sports seasons that always end in a punch line are clinging tight to the success of this team because the truth is, we haven't REALLY had this that often. SB XL was our moment and we were left crushed with only the memories of "if only" to keep us company. Since then, we've seen the Mariners disappear figuratively while the Sonics disappeared literally. We've seen no real, national success on any level.

My point is that we are desperate for victory. Not the moral or emotional kind but the kind of victory blanketed with confetti and packaged with an off-season when we are on top of the mountain without the possibility of coming off of it. We want to see the Lombardi hoisted by OUR team! It's the thought of being so close and not obtaining it that causes sweaty palms and nervous pacing in our living rooms.

But.............while adrift in this "glass case of emotion", we need to remember a few things.

1) We are leading in several statistical categories for a REASON....... We are a GREAT football team. Do not allow a single bad game to make you question this team's ability.

2) Unbridled confidence without the fear of defeat is a dangerous thing. Losing at home was going to happen at some point. MUCH better to be punched in the mouth today and allow the players remember as they sit in their ice baths that they can always be beat if they don't play to their potential. This could be a great thing for their development and growth as a team.

3) Winning masks true deficiencies. When this team has had post game meetings about penalties or converting in the red zone or......whatever. The message rings with much more clarity and focus when it is the cause of a LOSS, not a footnote in a win. Games like this hit square in the face and like a 1000 lb gorilla, it's tough to ignore.

Bottom line. This team will be fine. This team is where they are at for a reason. They are talented.

We as fans can only ask that they respond positively to this adversity and respond now. I believe they will.

Cheers Hawks fans!!!! Enjoy your week, hug your kids, focus on your families. Remember what's important in life.

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
Cheers Hawks fans!!!! Enjoy your week, hug your kids, focus on your families. Remember what's important in life.

good post hard for a Hawks fan today, but you are right

OP
OP
P

PryorFamily

Reaction score
I agree. It's tough.

But when the book on this season get's written, moments like today sometimes turn out to be the best thing that happened. It's all a process.

I simply believe that this team will work hard to rebound and clinch HFA next week. And knowing that they can be beat at home is a good thing going into the playoffs. The pressure is off now.

No more streak. Super bowl or bust. I like that better. Less complicated! :)

Polaris

Reaction score
The problem is that whenever Seattle has had the opporunty to FINISH the season and clinch what we need to clinch, the team has laid an egg both times.

This isn't a one time thing any longer. It's becoming a pattern....too much like the pattern of 1984 and other failed Seahawks teams of christmas' past.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Nothing like a poster arrogantly declaring themselves to be the "voice of reason". Best way to guarantee I won't read a post

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
BULLLLLLLLLLCRAAAAPPPPPP

A great, dominant, SB bound team wins this game. A great team doesn't lose at home, finishes its business and doesn't lose to the gosh darn CARSON PALMER 4 pick lead cardinals. This was an embarassing loss that proves this team isn't special, we will have to fight and scrap to do anything, we thought the team was special, the media did and even the team did but it's not and we need to start acting like it in all 3 phases.

TLDR: Good team, not great.

OP
OP
P

PryorFamily

Reaction score
Polaris":2wbz2ef7 said:
The problem is that whenever Seattle has had the opporunty to FINISH the season and clinch what we need to clinch, the team has laid an egg both times.

This isn't a one time thing any longer. It's becoming a pattern....too much like the pattern of 1984 and other failed Seahawks teams of christmas' past.

I think that's why it's so tough to trust in ANY team from this town sometimes. But my only point this year is that this team is really good. There's no reason to predict a collapse based off this one game.

I feel the pain though! I wanted them to dominate today and send a message to the rest of the NFC that we are ready for the big games. I just don't get the utter panic is all.

I'm choosing to look at today as a delay and not a disaster.

Polaris

Reaction score
PryorFamily":23los704 said:
Polaris":23los704 said:

I think that's why it's so tough to trust in ANY team from this town sometimes. But my only point this year is that this team is really good. There's no reason to predict a collapse based off this one game.

I feel the pain though! I wanted them to dominate today and send a message to the rest of the NFC that we are ready for the big games. I just don't get the utter panic is all.

I'm choosing to look at today as a delay and not a disaster.

It's sure looking like a collapse to me. IF the 'hawks play like this, we'll lose to the Rams, I promise you. Until today, the Rams were the only team to actually outplay Seattle, and unlike the Cards, we matchup very badly against the Rams.

Sorry, but I am getting very strong visions of 1984 again.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
A lot of our fans have been spoiled this season. A loss of any kind is absolutely unacceptable, under any circumstances. We are Superman, absolutely invincible. Yeah, losing sucks, but every fan of every sports team ever assembled has to face losses. It's part of human fallibility. What matters is what happens now. Personally, I think this was an aberration caused by an extremely hungry team with a very, VERY good defense fighting for their slim chance of a playoff appearance. And if they were to actually overcome the odds and make it, I'd be worried about playing them after what they just did to us! They WON that game, and if I were a Cardinals fan, I couldn't possibly be more proud of what they just did. Think about it if the situations were reversed. I give major props to AZ after that effort today. Pisses me off, but yeah, good job AZ. You definitely EARNED it.

OP
OP
P

PryorFamily

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2ofx4eb8 said:
Nothing like a poster arrogantly declaring themselves to be the "voice of reason". Best way to guarantee I won't read a post

Interesting. I would assume you actually can't read based on your poor observation.

A sentence or statement starting with "a" is far different than one starting with "the". Starting with the word "the" would definitely indicate an arrogance that I must know something you and others do not.

I used the word "a" to simply stat that I had a much calmer approach to the loss than all the people who seem like they are ready to kick a puppy and jump off the Space Needle.

Would you like me to re-title for you so you are less offended champ?

Polaris

Reaction score
BlueThunder":3d6c2kgn said:
A lot of our fans have been spoiled this season. A loss of any kind is absolutely unacceptable, under any circumstances. We are Superman, absolutely invincible. Yeah, losing sucks, but every fan of every sports team ever assembled has to face losses. It's part of human fallibility. What matters is what happens now. Personally, I think this was an aberration caused by an extremely hungry team with a very, VERY good defense fighting for their slim chance of a playoff appearance. And if they were to actually overcome the odds and make it, I'd be worried about playing them after what they just did to us! They WON that game, and if I were a Cardinals fan, I couldn't possibly be more proud of what they just did. Think about it if the situations were reversed. I give major props to AZ after that effort today. Pisses me off, but yeah, good job AZ. You definitely EARNED it.

I think you are overstating it. It's not a matter of being "spoiled" but a matter that we are in the race of our life to win the Division and with it the #1 seed. This is the SECOND TIME we've had to prove we were better and do it, and the Seahawks laid an embarrassing egg both times. Think the 1984 Seahawks.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out the parallels here.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The Rams are licking their chops, now. They've seen we're fallible at home. There is a very realistic chance we wind up losing the division. All of a sudden it has gone from "Just gotta win one of the next two and we're the #1 seed" to "Week 17 is absolutely critical, pressure's on".

Aristotle22

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2hqub614 said:
Yet you still read it

BlueThunder

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3iv79xst said:
All of a sudden it has gone from "Just gotta win one of the next two and we're the #1 seed" to "Week 17 is absolutely critical, pressure's on".

Which is exactly why the Rams should be afraid... VERY afraid! They ain't the Cardinals...

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
BlueThunder":22ar9xx6 said:
RolandDeschain":22ar9xx6 said:
All of a sudden it has gone from "Just gotta win one of the next two and we're the #1 seed" to "Week 17 is absolutely critical, pressure's on".

Which is exactly why the Rams should be afraid... VERY afraid! They ain't the Cardinals...

No they are probably better.

Polaris

Reaction score
BlueThunder":zvhq4d6t said:
RolandDeschain":zvhq4d6t said:

That's what we were saying of the Cards last week. We had EVERYTHING to play for and blew it. Now we have to win....against a team we don't match up well against (and the O Line performance today and Wilson's passing under pressure was not encouraging).

Polaris

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":ywrmfmwj said:
BlueThunder":ywrmfmwj said:
RolandDeschain":ywrmfmwj said:

No they are probably better.

I wouldn't go that far, but they actually match up better against us than the Cards. Not a pleasent thought.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Geez, you're awfully chipper considering the precarious position we find ourselves in right now, BlueThunder. Feels like our offensive players today probably had a similar attitude.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":gmijamdr said:

Yet here you are :p

Great post, thanks man. :th2thumbs: