A Voice of Reason

Polaris

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":vem8fx47 said:
I mean...I respect the hell out of Quinn and Long, don't get me wrong. But I think we're operating on a pretty limited sample size to necessarily say they're a worse matchup for us. Personally I can't imagine our offense actually being shut down worse next week than they were today, though admittedly I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not worried.

I can. All I have to do is rewatch that MNF game at the Rams.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Polaris":2tan2ljd said:
MidwestHawker":2tan2ljd said:
I mean...I respect the hell out of Quinn and Long, don't get me wrong. But I think we're operating on a pretty limited sample size to necessarily say they're a worse matchup for us. Personally I can't imagine our offense actually being shut down worse next week than they were today, though admittedly I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not worried.

Do you usually make hard conclusions on sample sizes of one? What is your opinion on the practice of doing so?

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Not much about this game to take away in the positive category, aside from 4 INTs. The offense, the play calling, was pretty wretched. This was an embarrassing and demoralizing loss at home. I think this team responds and the Rams get more than they bargained for. This team isn't 12-3 for nothing.

Polaris

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2fpzh2hv said:
Polaris":2fpzh2hv said:
MidwestHawker":2fpzh2hv said:

Do you usually make hard conclusions on sample sizes of one? What is your opinion on the practice of doing so?

Not at all. I also know how the Rams demolished New Orleans (even more than we did). That's a fairly recent point of comparison. I also know that the Rams have been a tough matchup against our offense for the last two years.

This isn't a one-time thing.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Polaris":1qrbrjbr said:
Not at all. I also know how the Rams demolished New Orleans (even more than we did). That's a fairly recent point of comparison. I also know that the Rams have been a tough matchup against our offense for the last two years.

Wait, let's rewind. So you've said...
*Yes the Cards defense is better overall.
*However, the Rams defense is better against us.

Now we're using Rams vs. Saints as a data point of why the Rams are a tougher matchup for us? Even though we're nothing like the Saints?

KK84

Reaction score
Polaris":3lqkdmup said:
MidwestHawker":3lqkdmup said:
Polaris":3lqkdmup said:
MidwestHawker":3lqkdmup said:

Even more than we did?

27-16 rams

34-7 hawks

Wut?

chawx

Reaction score
PryorFamily":3l00be9e said:
As the clock hit zero you could feel the tangible sense of disbelief. It's a shock to lose at home. We've become accustomed to a kind of home dominance that is simply not sustainable and today reality brought us back to an unavoidable truth: All things, all records, all streaks.....end. It's inevitable.

But why the panic? Why the emotional outrage? Why the blame?

I think that we in Seattle who have braved the kind of sports seasons that always end in a punch line are clinging tight to the success of this team because the truth is, we haven't REALLY had this that often. SB XL was our moment and we were left crushed with only the memories of "if only" to keep us company. Since then, we've seen the Mariners disappear figuratively while the Sonics disappeared literally. We've seen no real, national success on any level.

My point is that we are desperate for victory. Not the moral or emotional kind but the kind of victory blanketed with confetti and packaged with an off-season when we are on top of the mountain without the possibility of coming off of it. We want to see the Lombardi hoisted by OUR team! It's the thought of being so close and not obtaining it that causes sweaty palms and nervous pacing in our living rooms.

But.............while adrift in this "glass case of emotion", we need to remember a few things.

1) We are leading in several statistical categories for a REASON....... We are a GREAT football team. Do not allow a single bad game to make you question this team's ability.

2) Unbridled confidence without the fear of defeat is a dangerous thing. Losing at home was going to happen at some point. MUCH better to be punched in the mouth today and allow the players remember as they sit in their ice baths that they can always be beat if they don't play to their potential. This could be a great thing for their development and growth as a team.

3) Winning masks true deficiencies. When this team has had post game meetings about penalties or converting in the red zone or......whatever. The message rings with much more clarity and focus when it is the cause of a LOSS, not a footnote in a win. Games like this hit square in the face and like a 1000 lb gorilla, it's tough to ignore.

Bottom line. This team will be fine. This team is where they are at for a reason. They are talented.

We as fans can only ask that they respond positively to this adversity and respond now. I believe they will.

Cheers Hawks fans!!!! Enjoy your week, hug your kids, focus on your families. Remember what's important in life.

THANK YOU! This right here is all you need to read on .NET tonight...

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
KK84":8z7fa5ec said:
Even more than we did?

27-16 rams

34-7 hawks

Wut?

I wouldn't bother...he announced in another thread just now that stats and facts aren't his things. Baseless declarations, though...those are gold.

Polaris

Reaction score
KK84":3re94zub said:
Even more than we did?

27-16 rams

34-7 hawks

Wut?

It was 24-3 until garbage time. I saw that game. The rams were even more dominent against New Orleans than we were.

I am not saying the Rams are as good as we are or even as good as the Cards (they aren't) but they play us better.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Polaris":1o9673gz said:
It was 24-3 until garbage time. I saw that game. The rams were even more dominent against New Orleans than we were.

I am not saying the Rams are as good as we are or even as good as the Cards (they aren't) but they play us better.

They specifically play us better. As evidenced by their win over the Saints.

Dreo

Reaction score
PryorFamily":berjkv79 said:
We've seen no real, national success on any level.

This is one of the core reasons why we have such great fans. I hope that doesn't diminish after we win the SB this year.

Polaris

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":2stqbfst said:
Polaris":2stqbfst said:

They specifically play us better. As evidenced by their win over the Saints.

They also play the Saints tough. It's also a recent and common point of comparison.

I wish I were more confident, but against the Rams I'm not. They really do seem to have our number. I would be thrilled to be wrong, but tonight I don't think I am.

Polaris

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1ogaxqj0 said:
And by "have our number" you mean they play us tough and then lose to us?

I mean we play lower than our normal standard (as defined by DVOA) every time we play them....by a considerable margin.

supahawk

Reaction score
C'mon stop attacking Polaris for his opinion. One of you is choosing to be optimistic while the other more pessimistic. Either way the hawks as of late have given no reason to be super positive about the future. If anything, these past 3 games have given more people a reason to worry. We are all Seahawk fans regardless of what we think will happen to this team down the road. Bottom line is, the first part of the season was great but that means nothing now with the Hawks looking lost and that gives people the impression this team is not built for a playoff run.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
supahawk":33eo2azj said:
C'mon stop attacking Polaris for his opinion.

XgELs

FWIW I'm not being optimistic. I've said several times that next week's game worries me. I'm just trying to keep a reality check in place as to what our actual likelihood of failure is.

niveky

Reaction score
Polaris":2debfyej said:
The problem is that whenever Seattle has had the opporunty to FINISH the season and clinch what we need to clinch, the team has laid an egg both times.

This isn't a one time thing any longer. It's becoming a pattern....too much like the pattern of 1984 and other failed Seahawks teams of christmas' past.

the title of the post was 'a voice of reason'. I am sure that amid all of the doom and gloom and woe are the seahawks types, there are other voices of reason..indeed i have already seen some of their posts. the op didn't come in here all, "I am the voice of reason that will help us all make it through this desperate time. The time of the Seahawks is at hand. hearken to my words and blah blah blah, Amen"

the op just gave their take, as anyone else does, and at least the op is sensibly doing so.

KK84

Reaction score
One is arguing that there is no way in hell we win. The other is arguing that based on this year, we have at least a good shot. Don't see how any of it is "attacking"

Polaris

Reaction score
KK84":28vy4zv5 said:
One is arguing that there is no way in hell we win. The other is arguing that based on this year, we have at least a good shot. Don't see how any of it is "attacking"

Last time I checked, saying 50-50 is not "no way in hell we win". Just sayin'

Latest posts