Running game

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The running game has been struggling now for the last 4 games. Here's a recap of the running game since then.

Min - 28 carries for 93 yds 3.3 YPC
NO - 38 carries for 127 yds 3.3 YPC
SF - 23 carries for 86 yds 3.7 YPC
NYG - 34 carries for 134 3.9 YPC

I think it's important to distinguish Wilson keepers from actual running plays, so here are the non RW numbers

Min - 26/79/3.0 YPC
NO - 30/80/2.7 YPC
SF - 22/84/3.2 YPC
NYG - 26/84/3.2 YPC

Maybe it's the run defenses we've played since then. How do they rank?

Min - 116 YPG/4.2 YPC
NO - 116 YPG/4.6 YPC
SF - 99 YPG/3.9 YPC
NYG - 108 YPG/3.8 YPC

So overall we've under performed against most of these defenses.

Doing some thinking, the only thing I can think of is the return of Okung/Giacomini happened at that time. Are they struggling to return to form? I know when they were out some of the advanced metrics sites had the backups as very good run blockers. Anyone else have any ideas? I don't have access to the pay sites so I can't tell how they graded out since returning to the lineup.

On the flip side I have noticed the pass protection is much improved since they returned.

daveman918

Reaction score
It's interesting. I was just watching the Raible highlight video and the # of times the ball was thrown to Lynch and the YAC he achieved was pretty interesting and god. Just wondering a bit if there's some intention in what their doing. Lynch yards are Lynch yards and his hands this year or pass plays have been great. Overall I just don't see a ton of big runs happening in the league this year and maybe some different formulas are emerging. Not sure, but it is curious.

Largent80

Reaction score
A couple of things. It kind of coincides with the return of Okung and Breno, and a seasons worth of tape for opposing D.C.'s

The bottom line IS the line. They are not doing all that well of a blocking job. So, we split Beast out and throw him the ball, a brilliant counter measure.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, Lynch shredded the Cards on the road, no reason to think he won't do the same at home. Especially w/our full o-line playing, and what is at stake.

ManBunts

Reaction score
Let's face it, our run game has been prolific this year, so we expect a lot. That said, I've noticed the dip too, but I wouldn't say it's due to underperforming and I won't put this on the O-line. If you've noticed our passing game has stepped up, and you don't see that with a shoddy o-line. I see a few factors:
-Teams have noticed that when Lynch gets going, we get going. They're focusing everything they can on stopping him and preventing that momentum. They've had a season to study him and are stacking the box to stop it. They're challenging Russell to beat them with his arm. I'm fine with that
-As Daveman918 said, Lynch is getting a lot of business out of the backfield with short passes and it's working phenomenally. He steps up, provides that extra block to secure the line, then slides off as the perfect safety outlet. It's a role we saw Turbin in more last year, but Lynch has done it well
-Lastly, we're saving Lynch. The dude takes a major bruising doing what he does. If we want Beast Mode in one piece for the playoffs, they've gotta rest him. But you can't take him out of the game. Best way to do it, emphasize the passing game and let him take part in that. Not only does he take fewer hits that way, now teams have to think about him in a completely different way. Come the playoffs they can't ignore him when he fades out for a screen, which will pull their linebackers in slightly, hopefully opening up the slot of Doug or, dare I say it, Percy!?

Largent80

Reaction score
Cards D has been keeping teams under 100 yards rushing during the run they have made since we beat them. It will not be a cakewalk.

jblaze

Reaction score
Our offense is taking what the defense is giving them. Lynch isn't getting that many carries as a result and then with the lead late, we put Turbin in so his numbers aren't looking great.

I think he'll be fine and a beast in the playoffs. His third effort TD run this past game shows me he's doing fine.

lsheldon

Reaction score
Seaswab":6vnpokl5 said:
Turbin is getting too many carries

They seem to be giving Turbin carries later in the game when Lynch isn't getting yards. It seems to me that since the Offensive line got back healthy, they haven't been creating the holes that Lynch can take advantage of. I think it is fully an O-Line issue.

TheWalrus

Reaction score
I'm re-watching the Giants game as we speak and Carpenter was absolute garbage in this game. A ton of running plays went nowhere because he got abused.

jblaze

Reaction score
lsheldon":3t78pq73 said:
Seaswab":3t78pq73 said:
Turbin is getting too many carries

They seem to be giving Turbin carries later in the game when Lynch isn't getting yards. It seems to me that since the Offensive line got back healthy, they haven't been creating the holes that Lynch can take advantage of. I think it is fully an O-Line issue.

I tend to agree. Seems like when Okung and Breno were out, the backups were road graters and making big holes for Lynch while they were terrible in pass pro.

Now that the starters are back, pass pro is greatly improved but run blocking seems to have dropped off.

Oh and keep McQuistan out of the LG spot. Every time I see him in there he's side stepping a block like a bull fighter. Ole'!

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
jblaze":fhdxx3x8 said:
Our offense is taking what the defense is giving them. Lynch isn't getting that many carries as a result and then with the lead late, we put Turbin in so his numbers aren't looking great.

I think he'll be fine and a beast in the playoffs. His third effort TD run this past game shows me he's doing fine.

Right here... you take what they give you.

A lot of people on this board tend to forget there are TWO teams playing each week. Everyone wants gaudy numbers for the backs, for Wilson, for the receivers . . . it's not that easy. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other guys. They obviously have made it a priority as they know stopping Lynch is priority #1. The difference for us is we have components other than Lynch that can pick up the slack. starting with an elite QB.

I thought Bevell splitting Lynch wide and using him as a receiving threat was smart. Now defenses have to be aware of that also, and it will help open the running game as well. He had 120 total yards, which we will take every week with a smile. I could care less if its rushing or receiving, I'll take it.

It's important for us to be able to run the ball, especially in the playoffs when the margin for error is so slim. But we can win even when it's not operating at peak performance.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I think another aspect of this is the amount of pressure that opposing defenses are trying to put on Wilson. It has been rare of late to see defenses rush 3 or 4, the majority of the time you see 5+ coming after Wilson. You get that many bodies on the line of scrimmage and it is difficult to open a running lane.

AgentDib

Reaction score
lsheldon":23tcx04y said:
I think another aspect of this is the amount of pressure that opposing defenses are trying to put on Wilson. It has been rare of late to see defenses rush 3 or 4, the majority of the time you see 5+ coming after Wilson. You get that many bodies on the line of scrimmage and it is difficult to open a running lane.
It depends a bit on the running play. Sometimes it is a lot easier, as a defensive end that is trying to get up field will have less control of their gap which can lead to more opportunities than just screen passes. I do feel like we have had some bad luck on this front, or the opposing coordinators have been a little psychic. There was a run on Sunday where it looked like the Giants were thinking pass and blitzed a CB right into our rush.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Kearly was surmising there might be something wrong with Lynch.

Some of us thought Lynch might be getting beat up due to the lack of great run blocking and the fact that he's fighting off blocks at the line of scrimmage contantly. Many times, he's fighting just to get back to the los. In looking at the last game, when Lynch gets the ball in space, he still seems to have the same burst. He's not slowed down visibly, but people don't seem to realize that these are 300 lbers he's taking on. He gets more than almost any back I've ever seen, but most of these guys bring the RB down by themselves, even Lynch.

The trend that I've seen is that our OL just doesn't do that great against good to elite DL's. It's started with the Carolina game and kept going. The reason ? We're not very good on the interior.

I don't know if Sweezy will continue to get better. I think the coaching staff loves him because he's great at the 2nd level; he gets more LBers than most OLmen do. I feel he gets abused at the point of attack. Right now, he's average at best.

Carpenter/McQuistan. These guys are servicable, but it's time to draft someone to compete with Carp. His size and strength just aren't translating to good technique and on the field production.

Unger is having an off year. He's not the most physical center, but he's damn good all around. He's not our problem, but he's also not enough of a beast to take up the slack from either guy beside him.

Good run teams maul people. We just don't seem to do that this year. Lynch is getting his ass beat and I worry it's going to shorten his career.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks are working out the kinks and its going to take some patience, good things Seahawks have 2 games left vs some decent lines, and still a probable 4 weeks worth of practice to continue to iron it out and get all these guys on the same page.

Okung and Breno both came offf foot and knee injuries where they probably aren't 100% in terms of bursting off the line and trying to push lineman out of the way.

Carpenter/McQuistan are in a constant rotation.

Unger is having an off year where chest and arm injuries have diminished the mediocre power he possessed.

Bevell continues to change the personell up a lot using an array of different formation(other than the 49ers game).

Running Backs like familarity through execution and rely on the chemistry of the O-line to build that trust factor.

Also, consider the late season fatigue and opposing defenses coordinated to take away the Running Game and forcing Wilson to beat them, a QB whom most seem to think is a glorified game manager who relies on play-action to be successful.

And the one thing you've seen Defense try to do against the Seahawks offense is shut down the running game and take away the deep routes. They are giving the Seahawks the middle of the field and the short to intermediate passes. Its really up to Bevell to adjust and just take what he can get.

Also, the Rushing Numbers are going to be a little dialed down as the Seahawks have blown out their opponents in 3 of the last 4 games which meant running out the clock. And played a top 3 defense, in the other, of a Divisional Rival in their own House who were playing not only in desperation but a giant chips of vengence on their shoulder after getting embarrassed in the last two match-ups.

Also, Giant's D ranks 6th best in the NFL in Total Yards Allowed per Attempt. That was a good defense Seattle faced on the road in a 10 am start.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TheWalrus":1jlmqp97 said:
I'm re-watching the Giants game as we speak and Carpenter was absolute garbage in this game. A ton of running plays went nowhere because he got abused.

The Giants still have a good D-line.

keasley45

Reaction score
i see two things

1. defenses have decided (foolishly) to shut down the run (lynch and wilson), thinking that it will make Russ one dimensional and expose him as a game manager with nifty feet. They are selling out, as evidenced by the game against NO. Russ made them pay both through the air and on the ground, something i wish he would have been allowed to do the following week against the 9ers

2. Pete and company haven't forced defenses to do any differently (than sell out against Lynch). They are confident (overconfident sometimes IMO - see the SF game) that we can grind out a win against anyone, putting the game in the hands of the defense and simply limiting the opportunity for mistakes on offense.

The run game will loosen up when Pete decides to unleash Russ and the passing game and make teams pay for stacking the box. When we start slinging the ball around and allowing Russ to do his thing, the running lanes will open up again. Until then, it will remain a game of taking what the defense offers - without risking too much.

Pete also hinted at preferring the vanilla approach after the NO game when he was asked whether the Hawks did anything special to have the success that they did. It would be foolish to think that they are sitting on 350 ypg passing and 150 rypg for the sake of keeping their ultimate plans under wraps. But i do believe that Pete, as calculated and measured as he has been in the development of the O over the last 2 years, is only putting on tape what he has to in advance of the playoffs and ultimate run up to the SB.

He knows as well as any the rare chance the team has to win the whole thing... what that would mean to the franchise, the fans and the city. I think he's also keenly aware of his own legacy and the opportunity he has to not only remake it, but in doing so also cast the model for how to construct a dynasty. I dont think 100ypg on the ground and 300 through the air are remotely as important to him as getting this first Championship. 2013 is his and our best chance.