Big play WR

General Manager

Reaction score
Golden Tate is a good WR but we need a legit big play type WR like Green. It's safe to say that Rice is likely done here,sure could have used him out there yesterday. Harvin is hurt and we really don't know if he's the answer yet. This must be addressed in the off season.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It would have been nice to have had Percy Harvin in the lineup, wouldn't it?

jlaff35

Reaction score
Unfortunately, those big play, big bodied WR's don't grow on trees. And with the money we have already committed (Harvin) and will be committing (Tate and Baldwin), we're pretty much committed to using quicker, smaller, WR's at this point, unless we can find a stud in the draft. However, all of these big receivers are typically 1st round picks (Julio, AJ, Dez, Calvin,) .........there are some exceptions(VJax, Demaryious Thomas), so there is hope. I don't see the Hawks using a 1st on a WR when we have other needs to fill though. I do like Mike Evans of A & M and also Kelvin Benjamin of FSU.....maybe we have a shot at one of them, but doubtful.

Once we see the full effect of Harvin, this problem will go away. Percy is a game changer, not only when he has the ball, but just the threat of him will make Tate's and Baldwin's job so much easier. I know, waiting on Percy seems really annoying right now, but I'm confident that once he's fully ready to play, we are in for a real treat.

TJH

Reaction score
We should have traded for Gordon instead of Harvin. He would have exploded here.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
We keep passing on there WR's in the first round it's time to fix that imo. If Harvin can play this year I might change my mind but we haven't seen it yet.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
TJH":2hijur96 said:
We should have traded for Gordon instead of Harvin. He would have exploded here.

Hindsight is 20/20. Nobody knew Gordon was goona be as good as this or Harvin would be out still, but if I could go back, I would of traded for both of them.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don't think having a big play WR would have helped avoid the stupid penalties from yesterday's game. I do believe Harvin would have helped yesterday's game. Especially where field position is concerned. The Seahawks didn't have very good field position at all and lost the field position battle. Here's where Harvin would have helped in kick returns. The Seahawks have big-play WRs on the team - Baldwin, Tate, and Kearse are big play WRs. Harvin is a big play WR when he plays.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1zp7hw08 said:
I don't think having a big play WR would have helped avoid the stupid penalties from yesterday's game. I do believe Harvin would have helped yesterday's game. Especially where field position is concerned. The Seahawks didn't have very good field position at all and lost the field position battle. Here's where Harvin would have helped in kick returns. The Seahawks have big-play WRs on the team - Baldwin, Tate, and Kearse are big play WRs. Harvin is a big play WR when he plays.
I agree. Frankly, we had the game won, but penalties and one bad defensive lapse led to a defeat. We certainly haven't needed a BPWR in going 11-1 before yesterday.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
The bottom line is against good defenses in the playoffs running the ball might be difficult you need a passing game that can get it done. If Harvin doesn't play we could be in trouble if we don't get homefield advantage.

Jville

Reaction score
In all fairness, Sidney Rice has left his mark on this team. All of the current roster receivers have now demonstrated the Rice like ability to make his toe tapping sideline catches.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Harvin is barely 25 years old and is an MVP type wide receiver who is equally talented at kick returns. Our offensive talent is fine. We don't throw the ball nearly enough on offense to NEED a guy like that who gets 15 looks a game.

You do realize there are like 3-4 total WR in the NFL who fit the mold you are looking for right? Megatron and AJ Green are in a league or their own with Demaryius Thomas and Josh Gordon growing and IMO Stevie Johnson who is stuck in Buffalo. If there were constantly sure fire top 5 WR in every draft, you'd think every team would have one right?

sutz

Reaction score

Attachments

• deadhorse.jpg
    deadhorse.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2,080

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1a1jjthr said:
hawkfan68":1a1jjthr said:
I agree. Frankly, we had the game won, but penalties and one bad defensive lapse led to a defeat. We certainly haven't needed a BPWR in going 11-1 before yesterday.

i'd even say Baldwin has been that player. we just missed him yesterday.

RW made some big throws early that were just a bit off. Oh well

Uncle Si

Reaction score
General Manager":1c2jax5q said:
The bottom line is against good defenses in the playoffs running the ball might be difficult you need a passing game that can get it done. If Harvin doesn't play we could be in trouble if we don't get homefield advantage.

because its been such an issue this season?

Baldwin, Tate and Kearse have shown quite capable. Mix in more throws to the TE and I just dont see an issue here... home or away.

We had the game people. We really did. couple bad breaks (MRobs hands to the face, Tate's OPI, Tate's near catch on RW's flip throw, etc., etc.)

Let's all calm down a bit.

jlaff35

Reaction score
Josh Gordon, a guy that is one more failed test away from a year long NFL suspension, coming to Seattle, the home of legalized weed and substance abuse suspensions (Browner, Thurmond).......man, fans everywhere would have had a field day with that. Of course, if he would still have gone for 650 yards in a 3 week span for us, we would be the ones laughing!

One of the reasons our current team and regime is so successful is that we're now willing to take on some character risks for the sake of talent, something we never saw in the Ruskell era. We had a bunch of great humans, that were good, not great, at football.

I'll take our current roster any day. Gotta have some swagger, gotta play with an edge. As crazy AM Radio and Cardinal analyst Ron Wolfley says down here in AZ, you gotta be able to "tap into the rage tree" when you're playing football, and I definitely agree.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The teams that utilize Green, Megatron, and all the other TALL Receivers, aren't all that much better off in the grand scheme of things.
How is there ANY guarantee that if we find ourselves a 6'-6" Receiver, that he'd have any more success than with the Receivers that we already have?
If Tate, Baldwin & Kearse are basically snagging everything thrown their way, (like #1's do ) what more are folks looking for?
That layout catch by Kearse Yesterday, was pretty sensational, if you ask me.
We're 11 & 2 with the guys we already have, and we've pretty much did 99.99% of our wins without even having Harvin in the games.
Wilson has done an incredible job getting the ball to his Receivers.
Would it be luxurious having someone like Koren Robinson to get open on every single play?, yeah, I suppose it would, but like I said, there's no absolute guarantee that we'd be any better off than our 11 & 2 that we have right now.
Our Defense flubbed the dummy yesterday in a couple of critical plays.
You can't dismiss the 49rs as a lousy bunch of nobodies, and it didn't help when the Referees were calling us for penalties, whenever we'd get any kind of a big push, and therefore shift the balance back to the Whiners, time after time.
Would having Percy Harvin in that game, maybe put us over the top Offensively?, maybe, maybe not too.

OP
OP
General Manager

General Manager

Reaction score
Tate , Baldwin and Kearse are not AJ green type players I could make a list of WR's that are better than what we have but it would take to long. Tate is a 1A type the other two are the league average nothing more.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Our receivers have been making loads of clutch plays in the last two months without needing height. You do have to think that a catch or two from Percy Harvin might have been the difference in the close game that EVERYONE could see coming, and I'm not gonna complain if we do look for another hot WR in the draft. But it's not a first-round need. Our draft strategy should remain BPA.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
They grow on the Georgia Tech tree just fine for some reason.