Big play WR

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3rodx1r9 said:
I believe they should consider re-signing Sidney Rice to team friendly contract. This core group of receivers is very diverse and they work well together. It would nice to keep them together. Another alternative which may be more cost friendly is drafting and grooming a WR. Sort of what the Bears are doing with Alshon Jeffery, the Broncos are doing with Eric Decker and D. Thomas. Third option could be free agency, it's early but I saw some intriguing names Hakeem Nicks, Eric Decker, James Jones, Danario Alexander and Kenny Britt. All of them are UFA's in 2014. Britt is a headcase but PC/JS are willing to take risks. More often than not, it's panned out. Of of them all, IMO, Alexander would be an ideal fit - he's 6'5, 217 and 25 years old. He also is making $1.3M so not breaking the bank so to speak. So there are some options available should they go the route of adding a WR.

This free agent WR class isn't really enticing and the better of the group is bound to get over paid. Britt isn't that great of a blocker, a total head case, and has been very unproductive even though he has the chance to be/was the #1 option in Tennessee. Alexander has the size, but if you think Harvin is injury prone, Alexander is on another level. Dude has never finished a full season and has missed at least 6 games every year in his 4 year career, which is one reason why his contract is so low even though his production is alright. Seahawks did try to sign him as an UDFA, but he went with the Rams. I would like Rice back, but at a significantly reduced contract, but Idk if he would take it.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
im honestly very confused how people are saying we couldnt use a big bodied 6 5'ish wr?. let me see, we have "short" receivers that dont burn hardly anybody(excluding percy), they get by on skill, which is great, but skill can be developed, you cant teach a guy to out leap someone for a jump ball. lets not ignore common sense here folks, im all for loving our team but the homerism is strong on here. ill cringe if we invest into baldwin as much as i enjoy him while hes here, our FO can find those types of guys plenty easy imo. its really not hard to find a 6 1 or shorter wr considering thats about the average height of a grown man, therefor theres lots to choose from.

the burnt out mike williams looked pretty darn good in our offense while he was playing. im curious as to why a bigger wr wouldnt fit in our offense? ill be waiting for any logical explanations... our shorter wrs certainly arnt getting by with speed so...what advantage do we have with them? im not saying spend a first, but you can get bigger guys in the 2nd or 3rd round that dont have elite speed, that would be PERFECT for the type of deep balls wilson throws. no offense to rice but hes severely overrated and has never been that good at fighting for the deep lobs, unless i was watching a different game than some of you fellas.

cliffs=
how is throwing deep lobs to a 5 10 tate that doesnt have elite speed more effective than throwing to a big 6 5 wr with none elite speed?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":2alavbky said:
im honestly very confused how people are saying we couldnt use a big bodied 6 5'ish wr?. let me see, we have "short" receivers that dont burn hardly anybody(excluding percy), they get by on skill, which is great, but skill can be developed, you cant teach a guy to out leap someone for a jump ball. lets not ignore common sense here folks, im all for loving our team but the homerism is strong on here. ill cringe if we invest into baldwin as much as i enjoy him while hes here, our FO can find those types of guys plenty easy imo. its really not hard to find a 6 1 or shorter wr considering thats about the average height of a grown man, therefor theres lots to choose from.

the burnt out mike williams looked pretty darn good in our offense while he was playing. im curious as to why a bigger wr wouldnt fit in our offense? ill be waiting for any logical explanations... our shorter wrs certainly arnt getting by with speed so...what advantage do we have with them? im not saying spend a first, but you can get bigger guys in the 2nd or 3rd round that dont have elite speed, that would be PERFECT for the type of deep balls wilson throws. no offense to rice but hes severely overrated and has never been that good at fighting for the deep lobs, unless i was watching a different game than some of you fellas.

cliffs=
how is throwing deep lobs to a 5 10 tate that doesnt have elite speed more effective than throwing to a big 6 5 wr with none elite speed?

Russell Wilson isn't that type of QB, he's not going to throw to just one WR regardless of size. One of the reasons Russell Wilson is so good is because he spreads the ball to all different receivers. Now don't get me wrong I think a big WR would help throws that on a rare occasion get away from Russell but other than that, I just don't understand a fans idea that a big WR is going to drastically improve the offense.

The WR's this year have surprised me and have well out performed my expectations, but I also think the reason why they look so good has also a lot to do with Russell Wilson. Honestly after Golden Tate came into his own I think it's fair to call him a slightly slower Percy Harvin and one if not the best shifty YAC guys in the league. Right now with the team we have I just don't think it makes sense to go out of our way to draft a Big #1 WR in the early rounds. Were still a run first team and honestly until that changes there is no need to draft a #1 type WR in the 1st round in front of other key positions that mean more in general and are more important for the team.

I've been taught and learned to believe that football is won at the line of scrimmage and I will stand by that forever. Protect your QB and give him time and a guy like Trent Dilfer can come away with a ring. (Yes I know their defense was amazing)

I also believe your end question can be answered by understanding how good Tate is in YAC, like seriously the man is a baller.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Mr.Hawkbrah":31vbjrpf said:

cliffs=
It's pretty simple if you think about it for a minute, it's what happens AFTER the catch is made by our midgets = YAC = Doug Baldwin = Bobby Engram = Golden Tate = sure hands all around = wins.
I'd have listed Kearse in there too ,but he's a little taller than the other three names mentioned.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3m4tn10g said:
Russell Wilson isn't that type of QB, he's not going to throw to just one WR regardless of size. One of the reasons Russell Wilson is so good is because he spreads the ball to all different receivers. Now don't get me wrong I think a big WR would help throws that on a rare occasion get away from Russell but other than that, I just don't understand a fans idea that a big WR is going to drastically improve the offense.

The WR's this year have surprised me and have well out performed my expectations, but I also think the reason why they look so good has also a lot to do with Russell Wilson. Honestly after Golden Tate came into his own I think it's fair to call him a slightly slower Percy Harvin and one if not the best shifty YAC guys in the league. Right now with the team we have I just don't think it makes sense to go out of our way to draft a Big #1 WR in the early rounds. Were still a run first team and honestly until that changes there is no need to draft a #1 type WR in the 1st round in front of other key positions that mean more in general and are more important for the team.

I've been taught and learned to believe that football is won at the line of scrimmage and I will stand by that forever. Protect your QB and give him time and a guy like Trent Dilfer can come away with a ring. (Yes I know their defense was amazing)

I also believe your end question can be answered by understanding how good Tate is in YAC, like seriously the man is a baller.

Sorry man, i have still yet to hear one logical answer from someone arguing against getting a bigger WR. spreading the ball around and being a run first team you say? percy harvin says HI! But thats besides the point cause I certainly didnt say go spend our next 3 first rounders to trade up in the draft, or a sign a FA to a huge contract, im saying spend a 2nd or 3rd on one. Rare occasions? RW is great at putting the ball up with nice touch and a little lob to it, those are the perfect kind of balls for a tall guy to go get, Tate does it pretty darn well despite his size but idk how anyone can argue a 5 10 persons limitations when fighting for the ball. I have great faith in our current wrs, but some will go soon and im giving my 2 cents on it. Plus you got to draft someone in the first few rounds why not a position that has 3 of their top guys that could possibly be leaving, call me crazy i guess.

Sac

Reaction score
With the way Russell throws a ball, a megatron type receiver would ALWAYS be open. He would scramble less, and lower his chance of injury. The megatron type receiver would demand double and triple coverage further opening up other receivers.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2hq5u182 said:
It's pretty simple if you think about it for a minute, it's what happens AFTER the catch is made by our midgets = YAC = Doug Baldwin = Bobby Engram = Golden Tate = sure hands all around = wins.
I'd have listed Kearse in there too ,but he's a little taller than the other three names mentioned.

a person under 6 foot will always have limitations on jump balls. typically, the farther down the field you are, the more you will have to fight for the ball in the air. Size is helpful in winning those battles, please do not try to defy something so obvious. Therefor, a bigger wr may not get as much YAC, but he will be more successful in catching the ball down field...yards are yards, i dont really care how they come. Tate is mr consistent with his yac (very valuable in its own right) but Percy is the only guy that has the wheels to turn those into huge plays. BTW im a big fan of Tate and i REALLY hope he remains a hawk so dont take it as me crying about short wrs.

Plus look at all Petes USC teams, lll be very surprised if he doesnt get a solid big guy during his tenure here. Loved the brandon marshall idea someone mentioned, doubt hed be cheap enough though.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Have the Hawks had a 1000 yard receiver since Bobby Engram in 2007? That's got to be the longest such streak in the NFL. Sadly the reputation now is that Seattle is where big name WRs go to get paid and disappear and become irrelevant. So far Harvin has not helped with that stigma.

Zorn76

Reaction score
The concern with Harvin goes well beyond this season, because it's a legit issue in terms of durability and dependability, neither of which he's shown to this point. He got a mega deal contractually, so we'll all hoping for the best, but our FO will probably choose to hedge their (Percy) bet next April.

chris98251

Reaction score
The Packers have had a lot of luck drafting receivers, they don't sell out for the flashy pick but do find guys that are not so known in programs that didn't feature them. Doesn't mean they were not as gifted, just not used well. They develop a bit and then when someone is traded or leaves vis FA it's next mand up. I think we have been trying that and just have yet to hit on it.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
chris98251":kculbazl said:
The Packers have had a lot of luck drafting receivers, they don't sell out for the flashy pick but do find guys that are not so known in programs that didn't feature them. Doesn't mean they were not as gifted, just not used well. They develop a bit and then when someone is traded or leaves vis FA it's next mand up. I think we have been trying that and just have yet to hit on it.
Funny you mention the Packers the team that claimed our Draft WR Chris Harper to play behind Nelson.
I agree that Packers have luck finding these under the- radar, 'walk-on' type, smart and deceptively athletic receivers like Jody Nelson. However it's not as mysterious as we all seem to think if you do the work on profiling them. Wilson's college pal Jared Abbrederis would certainly fit such a profile and may go 2 - 4th round. Hes Jordy Nelson 2 IMO.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If we are going to go big receiver how about Austin Seferian-Jenkins?

The Radish

Reaction score
Most posters here stopped reading when you suggested Tate and Baldwin aren't "big play" receivers, especially Tate who has great run after catch numbers. Baldwin tho slower makes the big catches.

What left field does that come out of?

Why would any QB pass to a group of defenders that required fighting for a jump ball?

:141847_bnono:

CANHawk

Reaction score
Hmmm.... super tall receivers are the answer huh? must be why Kris Durham was such a huge difference maker in this offense. Why did we let him go again?

Oh yeah, because he WASN'T a huge difference maker in this offense!

Case dismissed on account of being stupid. <bangs gavel>

TJH

Reaction score
CANHawk":1ypzczzn said:
Hmmm.... super tall receivers are the answer huh? must be why Kris Durham was such a huge difference maker in this offense. Why did we let him go again?

This is such a retarded post.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Was hoping Chris Harper at 6'1 230lbs and a 35"+ vert could become that guy for us.

Wonder if we had drafted any of these guys if they'd still be on the roster.
WR 6'0 Quinton Patton
TE 6'8 Levine Toilolo
WR 5'10 Denard Robinson
WR 6'1/2 Kenny Stills

CANHawk

Reaction score
TJH":3qbowall said:
CANHawk":3qbowall said:

No, THIS is a retarded post:
Damage from bent sign post fault 21391381

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I really wanted De Andre Hopkins and we could have had him late in the 1st round. Right now, to date,that looks like the better move over the Harvin trade.

HansGruber

Reaction score
CANHawk":1ep3brl0 said:
TJH":1ep3brl0 said:
CANHawk":1ep3brl0 said:

No, THIS is a retarded post:
Damage from bent sign post fault 21391381

Retort of the year.

*golf clap*