Big play WR

Jville

Reaction score
IMHO a successful passing game built around a point guard who distributes the ball is not dependent on the presence of a fantasy superstar.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Gordon is one off field screw up from being out a year...yes he is great on a shitty team but we will see if he can keep his nose clean off the field. Tate ihas made some great plays here and plays with a chip on his shoulder. I think he gets re-signed but it won't be at a discount. They may even have to say so long to Baldwin if he wants too much...We don't want to end up like the packers where all the money goes to 2 guys...

Starrman44

Reaction score
I think we are fine. Our receivers catch a very high percentage of targets. That being said, when it looked like the Browns may blow it up earlier in the year, I was hoping we might be able to snatch Gordon.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Josh Gordon keeps getting mentioned. Josh Gordon is doing well but I don't think he's a fit for the Seahawk scheme. Seahawk receiving corps are good route runners from top to bottom. Gordon is not. I don't believe PC/JS would consider him due to that. They like big receivers but they need to run good routes and be willing to block.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm reading Josh Gordon has no enthusiasm for the blocking game. [urltargetblank]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24366810/watch-browns-josh-gordon-needs-to-work-a-bit-on-his-run-blocking[/urltargetblank]

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lol. We all lament on our lack of a Calvin Johnston or a Vincent Jackson, or a Brandon Marshall or a Josh Gordon... but how are Detroit, Tampa, Chicago and Cleveland really doing right now? Now compare that to Seattle. Those offenses are horribly one dimensional. Tell me, how is it that you have a guy like Calvin Johnson being force fed the ball 10+ times a game, have him on pace to break half of Jerry Rice's "unbreakable" records, yet Detroit can only ever eek out 6 or 7 wins a season?

That being said though... I wouldn't mind finding a big ol huge bodied possession reciever that can post up and win jump balls. a Joe Jervicius type. Just go a yard past the 1st down marker or to the corner of the endzone and sit down. It would probably help out situationally... but we hardly need it. Thesudden "need" to get one of those guys is your typical post loss over reaction. the only need right now for some is the need to assign blame for the loss. Well sometimes... shit just happens.

Shrug it off and on to the next...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As an outsider I really, really like the Hawks receivers. I think Wilson is great (my favorite of the young QBs, TBH), but I think his receivers also bail him out and are turning incompletions into receptions at an above average rate too. I love Tate as a player, think Baldwin is pretty good too, and like what I've seen from Kearse so far (and he's still developing to boot). Add Percy into that mix and it's truly a special group. Sydney Rice was hugely overrated and overpaid, and of the whole group, he was the best one to go, IMO.

It will be interesting to see if the Hawks can keep Tate (as a 9ers fan I'm hoping they can't and I'd LOVE to have him on my team), but Percy will more than make up for that loss if it happens.

So, long story short, I think the Hawks receivers are really good, actually. I think they could use an upgrade at TE much more, TBH. IMO Zach Miller is overrated despite not being rated that high (sorry, really not high on him), and Wilson might develop into a good #2, but isn't the guy. Luckily athletic, receiving TEs have started to grow on trees and can be regularly had in the 3-6th rounds these days. After shoring up the o-line in the 2nd & 3rd I'd probably go to TE before WR.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Jville":wtw9filr said:
I'm reading Josh Gordon has no enthusiasm for the blocking game. [urltargetblank]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24366810/watch-browns-josh-gordon-needs-to-work-a-bit-on-his-run-blocking[/urltargetblank]

Is that because he doesn't like to block, or because he thinks it's a waste blocking for 85 year old Willis McGahee?

Either way, Harvin WILL be our #1 WR/playmaker/deep threat/etc. Give it time folks.

jdblack

Reaction score
I'd rather have traded for an all-world offensive lineman than an all-world receiver (Harvin). That gap is much bigger than the receiver gap.

HansGruber

Reaction score
TJH":3kaaewqj said:
We should have traded for Gordon instead of Harvin. He would have exploded here.

You gotta remember two REALLY BIG issues with Gordon:

1) He's a lifetime member of the Substance Abuse Program (Level 3)
2) Like Randy Moss, there are questions about his effort and intensity

And that's not even mentioning the rumors about serious character issues that go beyond just substance abuse.

Not saying Gordon would have worked out (I think carroll might have done wonders with him), or that Harvin was a good trade. Never liked the Harvin trade. It reminds me of Deion Branch and Douchemanzadeh, except that those two actually played a few games for us when collecting the fat checks.

I'm extremely underwhelmed and unimpressed by Harvin. Sick of hearing about his potential. The dude played in one game and has to take multiple weeks off? Something tells me there might be some truth to the rumors out of Minnesota before they traded him (that he is constantly complaining of injuries and taking plays off, never heals, takes too long to bet back on the field, etc). I feel that trade was a mistake and he's yet to prove anything to the contrary. Don't even expect to see him this year. He's either soft or lazy, and it's just a bummer that we wasted a first on him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Brandon Marshall will want out of Chicago as soon as Cutler is sent packing. Marshall comes with some baggage, but if Cutler was able to pacify him, Wilson will get the best out of him. Marshall would be a great fit in our offense, but I wouldn't make room for him at the expense of Tate or Baldwin and Kearse is too damn cheap not to keep. I do think Marshall is a guy we should seriously consider. Especially with a possibly declining Lynch and questions at RB. Next year might be the year we go 51% pass, 49% run. We are the 900# gorilla and will do as we please. ; )

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think the receivers are good enough especially if Harvin is ever able to play consistently at or near full strength. I think we have enough talent to get through the window if we can just hold on to what we have long enough. If we have to add a starter I'd rather it be a Frankenstein TE or OL.

HawkWow

Reaction score
In no way being sarcastic, but for the sake of sanity, it would be wise to just view Harvin as retired. Should he make a comeback, he's in Hawk Blue. But I sure wouldn't plan our future around him. That would be the opposite of sanity.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Am I the minority in thinking that we do not need to address WR at the current time? Especially given what kind of QB Russell Wilson is, I think having multiple threats not only makes RW more dynamic but it makes a #1 BIG WR not necessary.

Just my thoughts.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
General Manager":31gelnxl said:
Tate , Baldwin and Kearse are not AJ green type players I could make a list of WR's that are better than what we have but it would take to long. Tate is a 1A type the other two are the league average nothing more.
Okay then, how many games have been won by A.J.Green this Season?
Nothing more than league average, and catching just about every damned ball in their vicinity?, your assessment doesn't hold water.
IF our league average Receivers were just another 6 inches taller eh?
I think there are too many that think that we need a couple of 1200 Yard Receivers to be dynamic, and splashy, but 12 & 2 says otherwise.
Our Offense is designed to run first, and then spread the ball around.
Oh and you might want to do your homework about what our > ELITE < Receivers believes themselves to be.....Their words, not mine.
After reading what they had to say, I have to agree with....THEM.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe they should consider re-signing Sidney Rice to team friendly contract. This core group of receivers is very diverse and they work well together. It would nice to keep them together. Another alternative which may be more cost friendly is drafting and grooming a WR. Sort of what the Bears are doing with Alshon Jeffery, the Broncos are doing with Eric Decker and D. Thomas. Third option could be free agency, it's early but I saw some intriguing names Hakeem Nicks, Eric Decker, James Jones, Danario Alexander and Kenny Britt. All of them are UFA's in 2014. Britt is a headcase but PC/JS are willing to take risks. More often than not, it's panned out. Of of them all, IMO, Alexander would be an ideal fit - he's 6'5, 217 and 25 years old. He also is making $1.3M so not breaking the bank so to speak. So there are some options available should they go the route of adding a WR.

Sturm

Reaction score
General Manager":yk72e2hm said:
Harvin is hurt and we really don't know if he's the answer yet.

Uh...Harvin has been a big play guy for every team he's been on.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Josh Gordon, Kennan Allen, and Alshon Jeffries were all 2nd Rd or later picks. I'm stoked about Harvin but I've wanted us to Draft a big bodied Wr since Carroll took over.

getnasty

Reaction score
Lets draft a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Dez Bryant type WR, yup that's a good idea. I like that.