Gruden on Carroll's triangle formation

Northhawk

Reaction score
Anyone catch Gruden's explanation of the Hawks using triangle formations in the secondary coverage? I think he was describing Seattle's approach to zone coverage. I only caught a part of it.

I thought it was an interesting observation and, while I may have missed it, I haven't read much here about it in the past. I know Gruden puts a lot of time watching game tape before a game.

Like many in the NFL, I've been trying to figure out our approach to the secondary especially when we go into zone coverage. Anyone else catch Gruden's piece and expand on what he was saying?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He is saying we use a single high safety with press coverage at the corners with 3-4 principles by the front 7 seven with 4-3 players. It is known. In otherwords we use Chancellor as a hybrid to use 8 man fronts constantly and count on 4 man pressure combined with our linebackers being able to cover in space.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3ci1fx4u said:
He is saying we use a single high safety with press coverage at the corners with 3-4 principles by the front 7 seven with 4-3 players. It is known.
Yep. The two corners and the deep safely (Earl) form the triangle. In reality it's pretty much the same as 'Man Free' coverage, with the primary difference being that the strong safety does not cover man-to-man, but rather in a zone along with the rest of the front seven. It's nothing new or groundbreaking, the Hawks are just executing it at a supremely high level with an excellent cast of players.

Axx

Reaction score
it's basically cover 1.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He is saying we use a single high safety with press coverage at the corners with 3-4 principles by the front 7 seven with 4-3 players. It is known.

Jville

Reaction score
49thHawk":3d5ac923 said:
Anyone catch Gruden's explanation of the Hawks using triangle formations in the secondary coverage? I think he was describing Seattle's approach to zone coverage. I only caught a part of it.

I thought it was an interesting observation and, while I may have missed it, I haven't read much here about it in the past. I know Gruden puts a lot of time watching game tape before a game.

Like many in the NFL, I've been trying to figure out our approach to the secondary especially when we go into zone coverage. Anyone else catch Gruden's piece and expand on what he was saying?

Bing "cover 3". There is a lot of information on the web concerning the subject. Lots of diagrams, pictures and text. The Gruden noted difference was that most other teams have their cornerbacks play off coverage. Seahawk cornerbacks like to play up in the face of wide outs. (Press coverage)

plyka

Reaction score
Gruden is flat out awesome. Simple as that. You can see the difference between a Trent dilfer and a Jon gruden. Trent dilfer has taken the skip batlyless route of "journalism." Which is basically attempt to put on a show, say shite whether its true or not. The point is not to say something that's true or insightful, but rather whatever that would raise the most buzz. Gruden on the other hand just spits knowledge. He is not trying at all. He is naturally entertaining while spitting knowledge. Dilfer understands his limitations, he is not naturally entertaining and he doesn't have much knowledge. So his route is pretend you have knowledge, fake it, confidence is half the battle, then say things which will create buzz.

Tell you the truth I don't fault dilfer. He has to do it to keep a job and become relevant. But gruden I just respect. Anyone remember how high he was on Wilson on draft day? While every other espn personality was claiming Wilson was going to be a bust?

Another guy who is naturally entertaining but doesn't have grudens knowledge is ray Lewis.

Jville

Reaction score
Gruden is an original. He is his own man.

Sac

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":338edjlt said:
He is saying we use a single high safety with press coverage at the corners with 3-4 principles by the front 7 seven with 4-3 players. It is known. In otherwords we use Chancellor as a hybrid to use 8 man fronts constantly and count on 4 man pressure combined with our linebackers being able to cover in space.

Best. Post. Ever.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Well Sherman locking down his man 1v1 really helps Earl only have to cover so much. Early is my favorite player on the hawks. With that said Sherman helps make this defense works just as much.

godawg

Reaction score
When you have linebackers as good at coverage as KJ Wright Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner, and penetrators like Michael Bennett who can get to the quarterback rushing four, you can hold Drew Brees under 200 yards.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3nn1xa8w said:
KCHawkGirl":3nn1xa8w said:

Best. Post. Ever.

Yeah, this was a fantastic translation that almost, well, almost needs it's own translation! LOL!

Thankst, KC, for clarifying.

plyka

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":3krrn4uq said:
Well Sherman locking down his man 1v1 really helps Earl only have to cover so much. Early is my favorite player on the hawks. With that said Sherman helps make this defense works just as much.

Impossible call on which is more important between earl and Sherman. Pressed I would have to say earl is the second most important player on this team and Sherman is the third. Yeah you heard it right. I don't think there is much of a drop between beast and his true backup -ie the guy who would truly take over in case lynch was injured, Christine Michael. Earl literally has zero backup. The seahawk Superbowl dreams would be out the window without Wilson or earl, anyone else they could survive.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I get the distinct impression that Gruden would LOVE to take over for Pete after he chooses to leave. It wouldn't be a bad thing would it?

pmedic920

Reaction score
Another guy who is naturally entertaining but doesn't have grudens knowledge is ray Lewis.[/quote]

Im fairly certain that I heard Ray Lewis call #24 "Marchell Lynch" last nite, and he did it more than once. Anybody else catch it?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":10tdf3fj said:
I get the distinct impression that Gruden would LOVE to take over for Pete after he chooses to leave. It wouldn't be a bad thing would it?
That would be my wish if possible. And it is Earl, Kam, Sherman in that order for the linchpins in this defense followed by Bennett and Arvil.

Amazing we either have them all signed or are going to easily (Bennett, Sherman).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Standard cover 3. It's what we run all the time when we're not in man or the occasional cover 2 buc.

The triangle is sort of a thing and sort of not. In reality it's just the job of the deep safety (not always ET, sometimes Kam) to keep everything in front of him so he can see who's coming free of the coverage in front so he can break. Even deeper than the corners most of the time because he may have to get to the sideline in a hurry to support a corner. Thus, it looks like a triangle.

It's just cover 3.