How Will Thurmond's Suspension Affect His New Contract?

Sturm

Reaction score
I think WT's screw up will really make other teams shy away from him. Not only does he have an injury history, but now he has a drug history to go along with it.

So whatever sizable contract he was going to get, probably isn't coming his way anymore. Which could be a good thing for us as Pete and Co. will most likely offer him an affordable 1-year salary and keep him on a short leash. I don't expect other teams to offer more for a guy who could wind up on the IR or serving another drug suspension.

Thoughts?

BillHawks

Reaction score
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think another failed test would put him out for a year. So his value probably took a huge hit (no pun) because of this.

drdiags

Reaction score
It will negatively impact him. Next mess up is a year's suspension (I think). Look at Talib with the Pats. A former 1st round pick, got traded for peanuts to NE and couldn't find a deal worth taking so he went back to NE this year. He has similar type of marks against him due to drug suspension.

I bet WT3 ends up signing a 1 yr deal unless he and his agent find a team willing to overlook this issue and sign him to a 3 yr deal. Someone like the Cardinals, who took a chance with Mathieu and could be rewarded with a quality corner to play opposite of Peterson (if they are looking to replace the starter on the other side, which I have no claim of knowing).

jblaze

Reaction score
I agree, this cost him millions in FA. Along with the injury concerns, now you have to worry about a 1 year drug suspension because he's proven that he's been caught once and then decided to do it again knowing he may get tested and caught again. That just proves stupidity or addiction.

Either way, this raises a lot of red flags and puts a lot of risk on him. I wouldn't be surprised if this kept him in Seattle at a one year deal to prove himself and then he bolts to FA in 2015. Browner most likely will be gone so this could be his best chance to prove himself as a competent #2 CB for an entire year and then demand the big bucks if all goes well.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
drdiags":3fdsvf01 said:
It will negatively impact him. Next mess up is a year's suspension (I think). Look at Talib with the Pats. A former 1st round pick, got traded for peanuts to NE and couldn't find a deal worth taking so he went back to NE this year. He has similar type of marks against him due to drug suspension.

I bet WT3 ends up signing a 1 yr deal unless he and his agent find a team willing to overlook this issue and sign him to a 3 yr deal. Someone like the Cardinals, who took a chance with Mathieu and could be rewarded with a quality corner to play opposite of Peterson (if they are looking to replace the starter on the other side, which I have no claim of knowing).

Ugh I would hate if he went to Arizona.

I imagine there were still be a few teams willing to take a shot on him. Young and good corners are hard to find.

Gus Bradley would probably be thrilled to have him too. Or the Niners.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I could care less. I really hope we let him walk myself. He is far from irreplaceable and is clearly either an idiot, doesn't give a crap, or an addict.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yea I can see the NIners or Jags picking him up and taking that risk.

You can structure his contract to where there's really no risk; if he gets suspended again, he doesn't get paid/voids his contract. If that's his only way of getting money, he'll sign that.

If it really does torpedo his contract, why only sign him for a year? Sign him to 3 or 4 while you can get him cheap.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I think it will cost him some. But I don't think it will cost him as much as some think. There is a team out there that will fall in love with his talent and make a play for him. I am sure though, that his contract will have clauses written in to it to take this in into consideration.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1bldhxjx said:
I think it will cost him some. But I don't think it will cost him as much as some think. There is a team out there that will fall in love with his talent and make a play for him. I am sure though, that his contract will have clauses written in to it to take this in into consideration.

Yeah that seems more likely what he will lose: full security.

He'll have to give some security up to get a good contract. He'll have clauses in there that he will not want, but he will have to give to get now.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I guess you have to ask how many strikes is too many? The injuries, lack of resulting playing time and now the substance abuse suspension. None of these things are going to help him get a better deal. The true tell will be how he responds! He has a high value for this team, he knows the schemes and he has shown that he is a very effective player while on the field. The ball is in his court to now regain the confidence of his teammates and to some extent the fans. I'm keeping an open mind about it.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":xw46hw9d said:
Negatively, I imagine.
Yeah, this. Depending on the whole back story, I'd actually love to see him re-sign with the Hawks longer term with a clause filled contract - less guaranteed money, less cap hit, and protection for the team if he gets caught again and suspended for a year. He's a doofus for doing whatever illegal substance he was doing (twice), but he's a great player and an asset to our defense when he's on the field.

jblaze

Reaction score
Yeah I'd only sign him if there is very little signing bonus and lots of incentives for play time (injuries) and no pay/voids for another suspension.

Look at Revis' contract, no signing bonus but he can earn like 96mil if he meets his incentives. 13mil base with 3mil in incentives each year. Sure is a lot for a CB when you run zone most of the time....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think this affects Thurmond's contract negotiations at all. This wasn't a positive test for black tar heroin or being arrested for manslaughter. It's weed.

Now I'm sure Schneider will ACT like it affects Thurmond's value. But the fact is there are too many desperate teams out there in need of good DB's, and THAT'S going to be the defining factor.

jblaze

Reaction score
I don't know. The looming prospect of losing a new FA signing for year is a pretty big deal.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Conceivably it could have cost him 1MM per year for the next 3-4 years. Everyone is hard on the dude, and yes he made a boneheaded, selfish move, but this means a lot more to him than it does to you and I. Imagine, a 4 Million dollar dubie? Imagine a mistake you made recently, but instead of just a minor consequence, the entire country hears about it and sends you hate mail, and then it costs you $4,000,000? Just a peak into the world of WT3 right now. Empathy.

Axx

Reaction score
He will get more money to help support his drug addiction

stack600

Reaction score
I can't really make a informative guess, till the facts come out. Painkillers(Favre) Weed(to many to list) = millions?