How Will Thurmond's Suspension Affect His New Contract?

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I got no problem with bringing Thurmond back on a cheap deal with protections against him getting popped again. Browner on the other hand, I'm done with. Even without the suspension for next year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Techworlds,

I wanted to respond to your comment in the Browner thread that was locked... the one where you said you hope neither Browner or Thurmond are part of the team's future.

And I just wanted to disagree.

1. Weed isn't a horrible offense even if its illegal on a federal level. Alcohol, Tobacco, and Caffenine are all legal substances and all three are much more harmful to your body than Mary Jane. If Newspaper tycoon William Hearst never existed I'm not sure Pot would be as looked down upon as it is now.

Sure what Thurmond and Browner are stupid per NFL rules but it doesn't make them bad people or any less talented.

With that said, I can care less what happens to BB.

But if the Seahawks offered Thurmond a 4 yr deal worth anywhere near 6-10 million , with team options after every season and a drug clause that makes him pay back or forfiets some of his guaranteed money if he's suspended again.

I would be estatic... Seahawks would be getting a very talented well-rounded play-making CB who could be a number 1 on some teams. Not only that but Thurmond's uncanny ability to play either inside or out at a high-level makes him almost as valuable as Sherman...who probably wouldn't cut it as a slot defender.

Thurmond's stupidity cost him money and put the Seahawks in the driver's seat to grab him by the balls financially speaking if they so choose to.

Players of Thurmond's talent and ability at peak consistent performance is worth $6-9 mil per in some markets, to get him anywhere under 3 mil per would be a huge steal on the market, and he'll likely come cheaper than that with his injury history and drug run-ins.

OrFan

Reaction score
What new contract? I do not think there will be one, at least not here.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
OrFan":2cvrwt7s said:
What new contract? I do not think there will be one, at least not here.

I hope you are right. Not giving him a deal is what the team needs to do to start to send the message that this type of selfishness will not be tolerated.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I think Seahawks will offer him a cheap one/two year deal. He will not make big money anywhere anymore. He has a massive glowing question mark tattooed on his forehead now. He is a capable player but carries a big character risk. Nothing new on the Seahawks.

Smoking weed is like the most minor issue one can get caught from. Think about the stuff that f.ex. Pig Ben or Aldon Smith have done. The only problem with weed basically is that it is listed as not tolerated, so one should understand to keep away from it when working on this industry. No big moral issues or anything, just plain and pure stupidity, which can be dealt with if someone can teach the kid how to be a professional. He can forget mansion money but can still have a decent career.

Subzero717

Reaction score
To the op, of course it will.

To some of those that are making the argument that weed isn't that bad, you are right. Problem is, in the NFL its the same as cocaine or heroin. Matter fact you can shoot guns in the air and blow a .2 at 8 am in the morning and not get a 4 game suspension. Its not the crime they committed but the punishment they chose to ignore that I can't really disagree with Tech and others.

The worst part of this whole situation are the two guys that are involved. Thurmind has been hurt here since day one and we rolled with him. He stayed on the team, getting paid and medical treatment for 3 years and this is what happens?

Browner given a raise for no reason whatsoever. The team didn't have to do that. In fact I've never heard of a team doing such a thing. Thats not to say it hasn't. Again, this is what happens.

Honestly, it was going to be tough regardless to keep those guys. I'm torn because I really like both but, if your doing things thst cost the team then we should have someone else out there gaining chemistry with the rest of the defense that will be there.