How Will Thurmond's Suspension Affect His New Contract?

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawks46":1bwr120y said:
Yea I can see the NIners or Jags picking him up and taking that risk.

You can structure his contract to where there's really no risk; if he gets suspended again, he doesn't get paid/voids his contract. If that's his only way of getting money, he'll sign that.

If it really does torpedo his contract, why only sign him for a year? Sign him to 3 or 4 while you can get him cheap.
The only risk is to your depth chart when you lose him for the year on the next pop.

sc85sis

Reaction score
This is just a guess, but I don't think Pete will be as quick to give up on Walter as some of you seem to be. I have no doubt this will hurt Walter's ability to get a free agent contact--and it should because he has to face consequences for his actions. But if the kid really does have a problem, whether it's weed or painkillers, Pete will probably want to help Walter if he can, and if he feels Walter really wants that help.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I can't help but laugh at "Weed Addiction". If you smoke marijuana and go through withdrawal from not having it...BE BETTER AT LIFE.

On topic, I asked this question in the massive Thrum thread (to no avail, so I'm glad it was brought up again). I can't see how this helps his stock at all. So far, he's hasn't really done anything in Seattle. Granted he's been injured most of the time, which is another red flag when looking into giving this guy millions of dollars. The talent is there, but he has to show he can use it effectively.

jhoeHawk

Reaction score
I think if the contract was to be negotiated right now.. then yes. It will surely affect it. Because contracts wont be negotiated until after the season ends, there's still 3 playoff games to be played and his contract will be more affected by his performance in those games.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":31bju71a said:
SouthSoundHawk":31bju71a said:
I can't help but laugh at "Weed Addiction"...........
:13:

It's amazing that the only times you hear words like "addiction" and "disease" are after an athlete, politician, actor or musician are busted.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I think WT3 will be back here. He's a good player and we've already invested a lot of time into him. I realize people are PO'd right now but that pretty much changes the moment he gets into a playoff game and takes a pick to the house and does his best nature boy routine. He's a proven player and we will need guys like him around - a bit of a risk but at a manageable price after this.

Being injured wasn't his fault, being busted for substance abuse is. The folks that are compounding those two things and trying to construct a history of 'selfish irresponsibility' for the guy are going too far.

I'm hoping to see him back for the right deal that protects the team and is a value for a player who's proven he can be an effective starter. And I think that the good faith we've given him along the way will lead him to make a deal that works with the team.

Largent80

Reaction score
Who cares?... I don't care what Thurmond does after this year. There is always someone to replace anyone.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Largent80":3udie50d said:
Who cares?... I don't care what Thurmond does after this year. There is always someone to replace anyone.

not sure the packers will agree.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":3q1n333s said:

Sounds so matter of fact, but it's not that easy.

Was Ken Hamlin so easily replaced in 2005 when we had some nobody off the street playing safety in the Superbowl, who proceeded to crap his pants and give up two huge plays to the Steelers?

Injuries MATTER. Suspensions MATTER, for now............and for the future.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24dujrgm said:
Unfortunately I don't think this affects Thurmond's contract negotiations at all. This wasn't a positive test for black tar heroin or being arrested for manslaughter. It's weed.

Now I'm sure Schneider will ACT like it affects Thurmond's value. But the fact is there are too many desperate teams out there in need of good DB's, and THAT'S going to be the defining factor.

Where did you see that it's just weed? All the reports I've seen from the NFL only state it as being a "non-PED" banned substance.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/...awks-cb-walter-thurmond-suspended-four-games/

That very well could be "black-tar heroin" or whatever else you think is more damaging to his value. Personally I think whatever it is doesn't matter, the fact that he's been caught with anything multiple times and is hurting his team because he doesn't have self control and/or care enough is the most damaging. That's not a team player and its completely selfish.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9ilwv1wa said:
Largent80":9ilwv1wa said:

Sounds so matter of fact, but it's not that easy.

Was Ken Hamlin so easily replaced in 2005 when we had some nobody off the street playing safety in the Superbowl, who proceeded to crap his pants and give up two huge plays to the Steelers?

Injuries MATTER. Suspensions MATTER, for now............and for the future.

It matters for NOW only. You are replaceable as well as I. EVERYONE is.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Thurmond Thread II......A vent for pent up frustration.

It is clear that the majority of Hawks fans have "had it up to here" with our player's use of "forbidden substances". Our message board ".Net" is as good a place as any to "get it out of our system"!

chris98251

Reaction score
We may find out later what it was, but he has to be on notice and know that he is now on a short leash with the league. Saying that his contyract will be freindly, if here , or if not, his talent will garner him interest no matter what, Raiders, Patriots, 49ers, Cowboys etc the list is long needing a CB of his skill set. Skill gives you a larger window of foregiveness.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
NFL network is already reporting that the word from the office is Browner has played his last game with the hawks.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1x3c58bw said:
NFL network is already reporting that the word from the office is Browner has played his last game with the hawks.

I wonder if they will release him ( can they if hurt but still on the active roster?). I suspect they will send some kind of message. Count on Allen not too pleased after all the crap with the Jailblazers.

Seeker

Reaction score
Lets be real though,

WE SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE SIGNS..........

Seahawks Walter Thurmond