So the Hawks are just "lucky"...

Trrrroy

Reaction score
They're what, 16-2 in their last 18 games? That's a hell of a lot of luck.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
irocdave":5jopc4d2 said:
No that I don't mind some luck being involved with the Hawks, but this article makes it sound like it's the main reason for the current record. Found this on a Saints forum, didn't see it posted on the front page, hope it's not a repost.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... =foxrg_nfl

Thoughts??
That's what the cow patties fan at my work says, LOL. I just point at him and laugh.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I really don't mind if people want to bring up facts about WHO a team is played but it always pisses me off when they bring up the "what if' junk.

"What if" things had gone differently in carolina? really? who cares. This isn't an alternate universe. In our universe our all-pro caliber safety made a play because we're good.

Never mind the fact that we out-gained the panthers by 120 yards or that russel wilson threw for 320 vs. cam's 125, made 3 scoring drives to the panthers one. etc etc etc.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Forget who said this (Rogers?) but "luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity".

That aside, losing virtually our entire O-line wasn't exactly lucky.

Pay no attention to the man in the booth!

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I've been mentioning for a while that the Seahawks have largely enjoyed a powder-puff schedule in regards to the QB's they've faced in the last 6 games, plus Chad Henne and Matt Schaub before that. But they also survived, with a scratched-up O-line, a lot of underrated defensive lines in that period. So while I agree that our record has a noticeable amount of luck in it, it's still earned.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
We are lucky. Look at the talent on our team! And our coach...

What? Not what the writer meant? Dooooooon't care.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
What if Percy Harvin was healthy all the way through?

See we can play that card also. You make your own luck in this league.

renofox

Reaction score
Any thesis whose methodology designates turnover differential as "luck" is seriously flawed. Forcing turnovers and avoiding turnovers are the result of many factors, but the predominate are player skill, player training and team schematics (offensive and defensive schemes and philosophy).

Similar issues can be raised with the "Pythagorean Winning Percentage" and fumble recovery methodology, but there's no need to pick apart the author's argument since it is completely flawed and totally worthless.

In other words, the article is a waste of time.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
irocdave":3pyyrzs5 said:
No that I don't mind some luck being involved with the Hawks, but this article makes it sound like it's the main reason for the current record. Found this on a Saints forum, didn't see it posted on the front page, hope it's not a repost.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... foxrg_nflp

Thoughts??
I don't think I have seen a premise more ridiculous outside QBR than this article's thesis.

hawksman53

Reaction score
Riddel me this. In the offseason we were Superbowl champions. Then we signed Percy Harvin and everyone said that move put us over the top for sure. Then Percy had surgery and then we weren't superbowl favorites anymore even though we were before we got him. Then every week pretty much we had some talking head saying this week the Hawks are going to loose and now, we are lucky to win our games every week. Don't get me wrong I love that our team is hated simply on the fact that it is all JEALOUSY. Do people really think we would have lost if Locker was playing for the Titans or if Case Keenum was the quarterback instead of Schaub? These are some of the stupidest, most ignorant things I have heard come out of anyones mouth I think ever about a championship contender

dradee

Reaction score
We are lucky, lucky that no other team picked up RW! Thank you !!

hawker84

Reaction score
we can shut a lot of doubters up come next monday night. really doesn't matter what people say/think, fact is we control our own destiny at this point. take care of business one week at a time, then people will have no choice but to say, uh damn, i guess they are good..

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3k8ljoj7 said:
We are lucky. Look at the talent on our team! And our coach...

What? Not what the writer meant? Dooooooon't care.
Well put.

kearly

Reaction score
Really, it's almost impossible to start 10-1 without catching some breaks. This is why you almost never see teams with perfect records at the end of the season.

Seattle is 3-0 this season when outgained (though one of those games was Minnesota). They've been down by three scores twice this season and won both games.

We have been fortunate. But our team has also been really, really good. The are nearly #1 in DVOA, they were #1 in DVOA last season, and they are top 7 in both offense and defense with the #1 special teams.

It's not very often you have a scary good team that also catches a few good breaks. Let's hope they take full advantage of it come February.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Looking at that list, if your defense is good and/or bad ass, you're lucky, I concur, I'm pretty lucky to get to watch our defense do work on game day.