So the Hawks are just "lucky"...

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Seattle
Arizona
New England
NYJets
KC

Those are the five "lucky" teams he's listed. Here is how they rank according to DVOA:
Seattle #2 (a mere .6 pts behind Denver)
Arizona #14 (#1 ranked defense)
New England #6
Jets #24 - this might be one of his actual "lucky" teams, but how lucky are they to be 5-5? We're talking one, maybe two games bounced their way.
KC #9 - His pick for most luckiest. If you consider an easy schedule "luck", then he has a point. But the Chiefs had to actually beat those other teams and that takes skill and preparation. They may not have the talent to go far this year, but "regression to the mean" isn't going to be the reason they start losing. Their record indicates who they are based on who they've played. They are still a playoff contender and have played like a playoff contender.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hoxrox":6t5heeqg said:
KCHawkGirl":6t5heeqg said:
Not being a stat person what does DVOA stand for again?

Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (DVOA), a system that breaks down every single play and compares a team's performance to the league average based on situation in order to determine value over average.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-r ... oa-ratings
I have read it before and understand it I just forgot what the acronym meant. I think it's one statistical system that means something.But thanks for the reminder.:)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
That Case Keenum argument is pathetic and lazy. It doesn't compute. The Texans have zero, nada, none wins with Keenum at QB. When Schaub was there he got them 2 wins. Bad example. I stopped reading at that point. Seahawks create their own luck and in some cases create their opponents luck (see Colts, Titans, and Bucs games). The Titans and Bucs were only in the games because the Seahawks were half asleep in the first half. Lucky for those teams. When the sleeping giant woke, jack couldn't keep up.

A

Anonymous

HawkWow":2rlwmhoj said:
Forget who said this (Rogers?) but "luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity".

That aside, losing virtually our entire O-line wasn't exactly lucky.

Pay no attention to the man in the booth!

The quote actually says "Success is where preparedness meets opportunity".

Not sure who said it, but it was on one of those inspirational plaques on my ex-bosses office for years. Can't tell you how many times I read the damn thing listening to him babble...

NavySeaHawk

Reaction score
Its called "the writing on the wall syndrome" . These writers see what we see come Superbowl.
They are in denial though,lol

sutz

Reaction score
Two comments.

1. I'd rather be lucky than good. :229031_shrug:

2. The harder I work, the luckier I get. :mrgreen:

As Seahawks fans who've suffered seemingly more than our share of bad breaks, unlucky bounces, and screw jobs over the years, we can't be concerned about the jealous comments of our lessors. Hey, look at the scoreboard and the standings. It is what it is.

:D

A

Anonymous

sutz":2kgfemu8 said:
Two comments.

1. I'd rather be lucky than good. :229031_shrug:

2. The harder I work, the luckier I get. :mrgreen:

As Seahawks fans who've suffered seemingly more than our share of bad breaks, unlucky bounces, and screw jobs over the years, we can't be concerned about the jealous comments of our lessors. Hey, look at the scoreboard and the standings. It is what it is.

:D

Werd

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1tv6iy9s said:
I've been mentioning for a while that the Seahawks have largely enjoyed a powder-puff schedule in regards to the QB's they've faced in the last 6 games, plus Chad Henne and Matt Schaub before that. But they also survived, with a scratched-up O-line, a lot of underrated defensive lines in that period. So while I agree that our record has a noticeable amount of luck in it, it's still earned.

Funny, but a lot of people have been calling our schedule "cream puff" and saying we're barely beating bad teams.

At the beginning of the season, we were moaning about how we got screwed by the scheduling with all the early east coast starts and how tough the schedule looked. We can't help if teams don't live up to expectations. We just beat them.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Kixkahn":2vpl11p0 said:
MontanaHawk05":2vpl11p0 said:
I've been mentioning for a while that the Seahawks have largely enjoyed a powder-puff schedule in regards to the QB's they've faced in the last 6 games, plus Chad Henne and Matt Schaub before that. But they also survived, with a scratched-up O-line, a lot of underrated defensive lines in that period. So while I agree that our record has a noticeable amount of luck in it, it's still earned.
Our schedule was hard if you look at the away games records from last season. However you never know teams that were good last season were going to suck this season. That is really the only reason our schedule seems "powder puff".

It's still valid to discuss strength of schedule even if it's in retrospect. It could still have implications for the playoffs.

Of course, it's NOT accurate to call our schedule cream-puff. The QB quality hasn't been there, and we've made stupid mistakes. But the 49ers, Colts, and now the Panthers have proven tough opponents. Most of the other teams - Texans, Titans, Cardinals, Rams, and Buccaneers - had excellent defenses to bring against our patchwork O-line. Not only could they not beat Wilson, they couldn't beat him even with a lead and turnovers. That speaks volumes. The only truly creampuff teams we've beaten are Jacksonville, Atlanta (mostly because of injury), and Minnesota. Bahahaha Minnesota.

It might be true to claim that we haven't faced many complete teams yet. We got beaten by the only one we faced. But we were competitive even there, on the road with that same patchwork O-line. It's not the same as saying we've barely beaten BAD teams.

We'll have a tougher final five weeks than most people realize, as New Orleans are a complete team, the Giants are the Giants, and we still have one more full round against our own division.

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
i dont know whether to laugh or be offended at this. I knows its the biggest crock of shit Ive read since browsing the 49ers forums. Seriosuly, They let this be published? wins a win. Noluck involved. Calls, Turnovers, Heart. Its all prt of winning

Latest posts