Disappointing subpar performance today

kmedic

Reaction score
Yes, we won, but let's face it, there were a lot more negatives today than positives. I'm sure there will plenty of positive, optimistic posts after today's game, but I'll gladly volunteer to bring us back to earth. I'm gonna call it right now, based on the way this team is playing right now, we will lose at least one of the next 2 games, probably Arizona this Thursday. I was expecting a significant improvement today coming home after two tough road games. The problems that have manifested over the past several weeks continue to occur- poor red zone offense, bad offensive line play, stupid penalties, and a pass rush that should be much better with the talent we have. When problems continue to recur without improvements, they become legitimate concerns. I am concerned.

1.) Offensive line play - Another below average performance by Carpenter. This guy has been nothing but a major disappointment to me. He's an absolute liability in pass blocking- if he's not giving up sacks, he's holding and killing our drives. I can't wait until Okung gets back so that McQuistan can push Carpenter back to the bench where he belongs. Time to develop a new guard next season. I still haven't been exactly been overwhelmed by Sweezy either. Yeah, he's a decent run blocker, but again like Carpenter, he's below average in pass protection. Bowie has been a pleasant surprise but his late hit was a stupid rookie mistake that hurt us.

2.) Brandon Browner appears to playing his last season here. Even though he gave up some big plays, you could at least count on him to make an impact play, whether an interception or forced fumble. I haven't seen an impact play out of this guy all season. Today he got burned repeatedly in the first quarter. It even appeared to me that the coaching staff saw what I saw and replaced him with Maxwell for a series or two. Time to move on.

3.) Where's the vaunted pass rush? There is no excuse at this point for not getting pressure on the QB. Everyone is healthy or back from suspension. I've been especially disappointed by Cliff Avril. Other than the forced fumble sack on Kaepernick he hasn't really done anything.

4.) The passing game, particularly in the red zone, was a point of emphasis this week. I still see poor production. It didn't seem like pass protection was the main issue today, just poor separation by the receivers. I don't think this is the fault of Russell Wilson- you can see he is looking and analyzing the routes but there is just no one open.

5.) Sidney Rice continues to be a major disappointment this season. One nice first down catch on the sideline but negated by a stupid fumble earlier in the game. Are we really paying this guy $9 mill a season for this crap?

6.) Love Marshawn but the fumbles are frustrating. It seems like they always tend to occur in big moments too. Whether it's in the red zone or on a third and short yardage play, his fumbles hurt more than the average fumble.

We should all feel lucky the Hawks won today. If they continue to manifest the same concerning issues, chalk it up, the Hawks will fall short of our expectations this season.

TwilightError

Reaction score
1. The tits is an underestimated team. Get Locker in and that is a true up and rising side.

Laloosh

Reaction score
TwilightError":1g6txz35 said:
1. The tits is an underestimated team. Get Locker in and that is a true up and rising side.

Unfortunately, we've been making teams look pretty good for at least two quarters per game. I agree that the Titans are pretty good w/ Locker this season but we did just about everything that we could to hand them the game, seriously.

No idea how their o-line wasn't called for holding at least 4-6 times. They were literally wrapping their arms around our guys and getting no-calls.

kmedic":1g6txz35 said:
6.) Love Marshawn but the fumbles are frustrating. It seems like they always tend to occur in big moments too. Whether it's in the red zone or on a third and short yardage play, his fumbles hurt more than the average fumble.

Tend to occur when the other team is trying to get the ball back and/or someone gets a perfect shot on the ball w/ a helmet. Stuff happens. You're barking up the wrong tree on this point.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Amazing that RW finished closer to 300 yards than 200 (267 I think) with a 98.5 passer rating. Just basing it on the eyeball I would say the passing game was sputtering and out of rhythm all day. Tate dropped passes and Baldwin and Rice were almost invisible. Both made nice clutch catches but were nowhere to be seen for massive stretches of the game.

davidonmi

Reaction score
three positives
1. Russell Wilson, carrying this offense
2. Run defense
3. Linebackers, smith especially
three negatives
1. Browner (oh well)
2. Penalties, some of these I'm fine with but some make me want to pull my hair out
3. Pass rush, christ is this becoming a problem AGAIN

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
TwilightError":1zv6igjr said:

We barely beat the Panthers: "Great game Panthers' fans! You guys have a great young team."

We barely beat the Texans: "Great game guys! See you guys in February!"

We barely beat the Titans: "The tits is an underestimated team. Get Locker in and that is a true up and rising side."

DavidSeven

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":qrpbtdps said:
TwilightError":qrpbtdps said:

We barely beat the Panthers: "Great game Panthers' fans! You guys have a great young team."

We barely beat the Titans: "The tits is an underestimated team. Get Locker in and that is a true up and rising side."

5-1.

BillHawks

Reaction score
Pass rush, Browner, and ball security are the only glaring negatives for me. I think the ball security was somewhat flukey, but Browner was bad. The pass rush was also bad but the defense got away with it because the LBs and DBs played well.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2sswimry said:
TwilightError":2sswimry said:

You should have stopped after "we beat".

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
Imagine where this team would be if we had TJack in there. Russell Wilson has been nothing but unbelievable so far this season. He's hiding a lot of major issues on the offense right now.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Hahahahahahahahahahqhqhahahqhqhahqhahahahahahahgq

You expected TOO MUCh. That's on you.

Went as I figured.

Pretty close to my 23-13 prediction.

5-1.

Currently #2 seed in NFC and haven't come anywhere near our peak.

Pumped.
Jacked.
Stoked.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
a lot of weird plays out there today,....when you don't bring your A game in the NFL even the real good teams can easily lose,....it was a subpar performance today,....but you can never be disappointed with the win

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Take away that stupid field goal snafu and we would all be saying a different tune about how our defense played em tough and we dominated the game. Yeah, we need to play better, but I think we will.

davidonmi

Reaction score
kmedic":1zo0c94k said:
Imagine where this team would be if we had TJack in there. Russell Wilson has been nothing but unbelievable so far this season. He's hiding a lot of major issues on the offense right now.
or matt Flynn. But don't see that to the portion of our fanbase that thinks Wilson sucks

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm pretty discouraged too. Pass rush is only average. O-line is very up and down in pass pro and when they're up, the WRs are often not getting separation. The first round draft picks on this team outside of Earl were nowhere to be seen today (Crapenter sucked, Irvin was invisible and Okung out with injury). The good news of course is that our guys are 5-1 and there's time to right the ship. But yeah, The Cards will be very tough at their home and Fisher and the Lambs give us fits in St. Loo. 1-1 would be extremely disappointing to me, but really not too surprising.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I genuinely feel sorry for you guys who are discouraged and feeling down about this. If you cant find joy in winning a football game, and having a 5-1 team, whats the point?

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
BillHawks":1b2m0e8f said:
Pass rush, Browner, and ball security are the only glaring negatives for me. I think the ball security was somewhat flukey, but Browner was bad. The pass rush was also bad but the defense got away with it because the LBs and DBs played well.

What about our passing game, particularly in the red zone? It's got to be a concern at this point.