We have to be able to run the ball this week

davidonmi

Reaction score
We got out of carolina with a great win, but we aren't gonna be able to dominate vs Kaep and co like we did with Newton.
I am bullish on our abiliy run the ball for a couple reasons
1. The game is at home and everyone plays more amped up and just simply better at home.
2. SF's defensive front is nowhere near Carolina
3. We've ran it on their better defenses in the past.
SF has the best LB's in fooball but as long as we can get push (which the packers were getting) we will be able to run the ball.
If we for some reason can't run the ball we probably aren't winning the game. But I think we can and will
27-23 seahawks
BTW: an underrated part of yesterday's game is we got the ball with over 5 minutes left and never gave it up, imagine if that happens in a playoff game

frase32

Reaction score
davidonmi":18qi3bmj said:
We got out of carolina with a great win, but we aren't gonna be able to dominate vs Kaep and co like we did with Newton.
1. The game is at home and everyone plays more amped up and just simply better at home.
SF has the best LB's in fooball but as long as we can get push (which the packers were getting) we will be able to run the ball.
If we for some reason can't run the ball we probably aren't winning the game. But I think we can and will
27-23 seahawks
BTW: an underrated part of yesterday's game is we got the ball with over 5 minutes left and never gave it up, imagine if that happens in a playoff game

I'm mostly a lurker here, but you just went full potato on that one.

Carolina has a good front seven, but they are not as good as the 49ers front seven. If anything I would reverse the statement you made.

Showmeyourtd's

Reaction score
I think Carolina hetter DT's but the DE's for SF are way better. Luckily for us, SF secondary is not that good. So we leave an extra blocker and have our receivers go to town.

OP
OP
davidonmi

davidonmi

Reaction score
Defensive front means line, of course San Fran's front seven is as good as carlolina's, although it's difficult to compare a 4-3 with a 3-4

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
#1 reason why we'll be able to run.

Familiarity. Lynch had 103 and 111 yards against SF last year. I expect more of the same this time around.

Marvin49

Reaction score
davidonmi":2dxitmhd said:
27-23 seahawks

uh, wha?

On what planet is the Panthers "front" better than SF? Certainly not at LB. D-Line? Justin Smith? Ray McDonald? Heard of them?

The Packers got "push"? Huh? The Packers ran for 63 yards...against primarily a Nickel defense.

Now I'm not saying Niners win this game because its a really tough thing to go up into that stadium and win....

....but you're analysis is sorely lacking anything resembling accurate information.

Marvin49

Reaction score
davidonmi":b5hrswrq said:
Defensive front means line, of course San Fran's front seven is as good as carlolina's, although it's difficult to compare a 4-3 with a 3-4

Its not "as good". Its BETTER. Alot better.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think it's probably closer than 49er fans want to admit with Carolina's front seven. Justin Smith makes the 49er front seven a bit better overall, but man, the Panthers' front seven is STACKED.

And no, the Niners front seven is not "a lot" better, but that's more a testament to how good Carolina's front seven is than a knock on SF's front seven.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2sje56sx said:

Familiarity. Lynch had 103 and 111 yards against SF last year. I expect more of the same this time around.

He also had 100 yds against them in the last game of the 2011 season.

However, Justin Smith is back for the 49ers - he didn't play in the 42-13 whitewash.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I felt like we could have run the ball a bit better on Carolina if we would have stuck with it. Seemed like we went away from it early and kinda gave up, and decided to rely on our passing game to set up the run.

frase32

Reaction score
The 49ers front seven has five All-Pros. This has NOTHING to do with the upcoming game, this is only directed at the comments that state that the Panthers front seven is as good or nearly as good as the 49ers.

13thMan

Reaction score
frase32":3niya6um said:
davidonmi":3niya6um said:
27-23 seahawks

Carolina has a good front seven, but they are not as good as the 49ers front seven. If anything I would reverse the statement you made.

LMAO..... Yes, I was actually thinking the same thing but "full potato" is priceless.... Nicely done.

The good news is we are at home and should be playing with a little more edge on Sunday. The bad news? We need to play MUCH better than we did at Carolina to beat the Niners, and that's fact... but I think we can.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
frase32":3ml7cwnh said:
The 49ers front seven has five All-Pros. This has NOTHING to do with the upcoming game, this is only directed at the comments that state that the Panthers front seven is as good or nearly as good as the 49ers.

That has nothing to do with what the lines look like this year. All-Pro players decline or are replaced by up-and-coming players that are better. What happens if at the end of the year, Kuechly replaces Willis as an All-Pro MLB? What happens if Charles Johnson has 15 sacks this year and gets All-Pro honors? I'm not saying these things will occur, but last year is last year and last year's awards don't matter this year.

I think SF is better in that area, but man, it is surprisingly close.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":8zojwcky said:
Sarlacc83":8zojwcky said:

He also had 100 yds against them in the last game of the 2011 season.

However, Justin Smith is back for the 49ers - he didn't play in the 42-13 whitewash.

That's still 2 100 yard games with him in, however.

akseahawkfan

Reaction score
We couldn't run in Carolina because our OL didn't play well. There was no tempo. We played slow. The OL was sluggish. There was no read/option. I'm not sure if we got a single effective lead block from our FB on the second level. Less than 3 yards per carry isn't going to do it.

To establish the run and be successful running the ball, we need to pick up the pace. We need to make that front 7 defend sideline to sideline on every down. We have to make them pay for getting too far upfield trying to contain Wilson with middle screens, delayed handoffs, shuffle pass and maybe even a QB draw. Use their aggressiveness against them. But most importantly, the OL needs to play MUCH better, they have to win at the point of attack which they failed to do at an inferior front 7 in Carolina.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Running the ball this weekend is going to be difficult. I hope the guys bring it and that they aren't looking ahead to Jacksonville next week.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks will able to run the ball because of 4 things.

1. No cross country jetlag and players biological clock playing at 10 AM.

2. No 90 degrees weather and humidity handicapping the bigger players.

3. Even if San Fran doesn't want to admit, Carolina probably has just as good of a Front 7 as them and perhaps the potential to be much better. If anything the Seahawks struggle against the Panthers D will only help them prepare for the 49ers.

You can't really say that about the Packers D. Their Defense isn't going prepare the 49ers Offense against our Defense. At least Carolina's D has a lot of the same strengths as SFO minus pass-rushing LBs.

4. Seahawks are at home, in their opener, on primetime, and it will be Pete's Bday. Seahawks will come out hard, physical, and will try to dominate with their smash-mouth style especially considering their next game they could play their 2nd team and still probably beat the Jaguars at the CLink.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1pv04bta said:
Running the ball this weekend is going to be difficult. I hope the guys bring it and that they aren't looking ahead to Jacksonville next week.

You're joking...right?

Tical21

Reaction score
I personally don't think the running game has much importance at all this week, until we pass well enough to get ahead. That 49ers secondary is the part you want to attack, is it not? It would be nice to be in 2nd and 3rd and short, I guess, but the 49ers play just about as well in those situations as they do on 3rd and 8. This game has Russell and Sidney Rice written all over it.

frase32

Reaction score
frase32":jszcnoqe said:
davidonmi":jszcnoqe said:
27-23 seahawks

Quoting myself here to say that the Panthers front seven is pretty god damned close to the Niners. I would say they are even and I could see an argument for either one being better.