We have to be able to run the ball this week

ceej22

Reaction score
Marvin49":20qsmaas said:
davidonmi":20qsmaas said:
Defensive front means line, of course San Fran's front seven is as good as carlolina's, although it's difficult to compare a 4-3 with a 3-4

Its not "as good". Its BETTER. Alot better.

Deleted when pointed out the above was from September.

Tokadub

Reaction score
I think the 49ers are going to bank on shutting down our run with the thought process that Bevell will be incapable to adjust his game plan. The 49ers think if they shut down our run we will lose, a VERY easy game plan for them given their defensive personnel.

I think the only way the run game will be key for us is if Bevell is as stubborn/incompetent as I expect him to be and tries to force the run no matter how poor the results. If that's the case then the game will be a nail biter toss up where the difference of us getting 3.7 yards per carry or 4.2 could win or lose us the game...

That's all assuming Kaepernick doesn't just hand us the game with like 2 interceptions in good field position or something.

Relevant stats for Seahawks Offense for the first 2 games against 49ers this year:

Game 1

Rushing Plays - Passing Plays:
47 - 17

Rushing Yards - Passing Yards:
172 - 142

Rushing Yards/attempt - Passing Yards/attempt:
3.7 - 8.35

Passing yards/completion:
17.8 yards per completion

Game 2

Rushing Plays - Passing Plays:
23- 25

Rushing Yards - Passing Yards:
86 - 199

Rushing Yards/attempt - Passing Yards/attempt:
3.7 - 7.96

Passing yards/completion:
13.3 yards per completion

Judging by those stats the 49ers are very good against our run containing us to 3.7 yards per game in both games this season.

However they have not been good against our passes where we averaged nearly a first down in yards EVERY ATTEMPT (about 8 yards per attempt)!

We also lit them up in yards per completion (17.8, 13.3).

So in my opinion our passing offense has the potential to be much more effective against the 49ers than our rushing offense. This is the main reason I was so upset when we lost to them last time out because we were doing so well with our passing I felt if we just ran a few more passing plays we would of won.

Seeing our passing offense so bad lately and relying so much on the run last week is my #1 concern of us losing the game. If Bevell tries to force the run no matter how focused the 49ers will be on stopping it (pretty much gaurantee that's their game plan) then we could just be shooting ourself in the foot next Sunday.

Still think we will win but if everyone just wants us to pound the rush relentlessly no matter if it fails like Bevell does than I'm glad you are not our OC haha ;)

Hopefully I'm wrong and we average close to 5 yards per carry (very doubtful when 49ers will be 110% focused to shut down our run) and our minimal passing game will be enough to win with our solid defense. That's best case scenario since I don't trust Bevell is capable to do anything else.

amill87

Reaction score
Holy hell I was lost until I realized this was a thread bump from September.

Penman96

Reaction score
I'd like to see some designed run plays for Russ on Sunday. Usually he picks up rushing yards after taking the option or being flushed out. This week I'd like to see a call or two that has him getting the proper blocks by design so he gets a good lane.

Latest posts