Another team that wanted Wilson after the fact...

Subzero717

Reaction score
The thing I find interesting is that besides Philly all have franchise QBs. Two teams took QBs in the first. I think its more a matter of teams saying "we knew too." Teams say things all the time that, who knows? How many teams really wanted to take Irvin in the first?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
GMs and scouts trying to maintain job security. "We were gonna draft him, I swear! Oh, and we lost all our draft boards, so you can't verify where he was on ours."

sc85sis

Reaction score
Yes these people wanted him--as a backup. So they can't exactly claim visionary status where Russell is concerned.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
sc85sis":3142acsq said:
Yes these people wanted him--as a backup. So they can't exactly claim visionary status where Russell is concerned.

Didn't the Seahawks draft him to be a back up to Flynn?
Atleast at the time, Flynn had just been signed that big contract,
Of course with Pete's "always compete" mentality, Wilson had a chance and shined.
But im not sure we can claim we drafted him with the intention that he would start from day one.
They might have, but it just didnt seem like it with having just signed Flynn.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sc85sis":ss0lt739 said:

Wilson backing up Vick? That would be an absolute crime if Vick stayed healthy.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Shadyhawk182":230ydw12 said:
sc85sis":230ydw12 said:

Atleast at the time, Flynn had just been signed that big contract,
Of course with Pete's "always compete" mentality, Wilson had a chance and shined.
But im not sure we can claim we drafted him with the intention that he would start from day one.
They might have, but it just didnt seem like it with having just signed Flynn.
The difference with us is that he had a legitimate chance to start. With those other teams he never did.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Shadyhawk182":2r29lvv6 said:
sc85sis":2r29lvv6 said:

Not really.

JS "knew" Wilson was special. He wasn't drafted to be a back-up. He was drafted to be the Hawks franchise QB.

It just happened sooner than everybody thought... everybody, that is, except JS. :th2thumbs:

CANHawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1mdr17v2 said:
Shadyhawk182":1mdr17v2 said:
sc85sis":1mdr17v2 said:

Not really.

JS "knew" Wilson was special. He wasn't drafted to be a back-up. He was drafted to be the Hawks franchise QB.

It just happened sooner than everybody thought... everybody, that is, except JS. :th2thumbs:

Yeah, more to the point; JS was targeting Wilson in the draft, but signed Flynn as a FA as insurance in case he didn't get him.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
Personally, I think Schneider signed Flynn just to throw off the other teams when they are evaluating other teams' needs for their draft board.

Check mate.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The Cowboys (in Jerry Jones' own words) were set to take Bobby Wagner in the 2nd round, too, so in both cases the Hawks did a great job of getting these guys where they did. There's also the rumor of the Jets wanting to take Bruce Irvin with their first round pick but I'm still not sure I fully buy that one.

Giedi

Reaction score
I bet the 49ers would have loved to have taken him in the later rounds too. One reason I say that is because in the 6th round this year- the 49ers drafted BJ Daniels a Russell Wilson look-a-like QB with similar skill set. Kudo's to your front office for having the balls to throw him in there and come what may. It was all good. Contrast that to QB's like Alex Smith, who were thrown in there as a starter and basically flunked their first year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Giedi":3ea8lfki said:
I bet the 49ers would have loved to have taken him in the later rounds too. One reason I say that is because in the 6th round this year- the 49ers drafted BJ Daniels a Russell Wilson look-a-like QB with similar skill set. Kudo's to your front office for having the balls to throw him in there and come what may. It was all good. Contrast that to QB's like Alex Smith, who were thrown in there as a starter and basically flunked their first year.

Yeah, we're all impressed; no doubt about it. One thing you should know is that none of us expected Wilson to come on so hard and so fast, except Kearly. He was preaching Wilson before the draft quite a bit. He nailed that one like Pontius Pilate.

Throwdown

Reaction score
You don't have intentions on getting a back up QB in the 2nd round, which was where Schneider was ready to take him until he was talked into Wagner. RW was held in high regard, and they brought him in to compete and he snatched the job and isn't letting it go for a very, very long time.

It worked out for the best though, didn't it?