Moved to the Couve

Hawks46

Reaction score
So I moved from Tigard (south of Portland) to Vancouver (the dirty couve....Vantucky, etc.). So far I'm loving it, but I have a question:

Where do you local folks in Vancouver go to watch games, and is there good places to go and watch games where I can bring my kids ?

Big Al's seemed pretty good when I went to see Browner and Sherman, but they are actually pretty expensive, and I don't relish paying $9 on average for an appetizer and $5 or more for my favorite local brews.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
When I lived up there GK's was the place to go, as far as I knew. Still think you're better off coming down into Portland if you can.

kearly

Reaction score
Lol, Vantucky. Vancouver feels like Sin City compared to some of the surrounding places like Ridgefield and Hockinson.

I always go to Big Al's when I'm not watching at home. I think their prices are pretty reasonable considering the alternatives, but I might feel differently if I was feeding a family. I usually order their beef nachos which easily feeds two. IIRC, they have a really decent happy hour menu as well. Can't beat the crowd atmosphere, though I've learned to stay away during the apple cup. Coug fans are more unhinged than the 12thman when they play UW.

OP
OP
H

Hawks46

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1g1ow1be said:
When I lived up there GK's was the place to go, as far as I knew. Still think you're better off coming down into Portland if you can.

Trust me, I dig the Portland bar scene, and I don't mind the hillbillies in Vancouver. Problem is that the hippies and flaming libtards drive me nuts in Portland. Although it is gratifying now that my son is 3 1/2 and says really loud "look papa, there's some dirty hippies!". But, I can't take him to most bars, unfortunately.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hawks46":20qzpy2v said:
Zebulon Dak":20qzpy2v said:

Trust me, I dig the Portland bar scene, and I don't mind the hillbillies in Vancouver. Problem is that the hippies and flaming libtards drive me nuts in Portland. Although it is gratifying now that my son is 3 1/2 and says really loud "look papa, there's some dirty hippies!". But, I can't take him to most bars, unfortunately.

Yeah, on second thought, just stay in Vancouver.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Well then welcome to the most reasonably balanced place in the area. We have some hippies, some rednecks, some inner city, and some pretentious snobs. The best part is that since it's not cultural extremes like Portlandia or North Clark County....no one can agree on anything and things remain relatively normal. Plus, your kids will get a better education now.

That said, you're now actually in WA and most bars will have Hawks games on the big screen.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3j5qszf1 said:
GK's used to be a place to go to get stabbed or shot. It's an Irish bar now that's supposedly very much not the booty club that it was. Never went there during the day and never went there at night unless I had a good reason. Well, there were a couple wet t-shirt contests and botty shakin' ones I stopped by for, but it's a good thing that place is gone.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If I couldnt live in the Shoreline/Edmonds area and job and family were not factors the Vancouver area would be a place I'd consider to live if the situation was right.

Rocket

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2athk6tx said:

You? HERE? When?

nrayorr

Reaction score
Hawks46":3044c1cm said:
So I moved from Tigard (south of Portland) to Vancouver (the dirty couve....Vantucky, etc.). So far I'm loving it, but I have a question:

Where do you local folks in Vancouver go to watch games, and is there good places to go and watch games where I can bring my kids ?

Big Al's seemed pretty good when I went to see Browner and Sherman, but they are actually pretty expensive, and I don't relish paying $9 on average for an appetizer and $5 or more for my favorite local brews.

Welcome to the couve. I am a local that was born in Portland, but lived in Vancouver for the past 14 years. There is a couple of places, one being Big Al's and the other being Buffalo Wild Wings on 99th. Make sure you get to Buffalo at least a couple of hours early if you want a spot. I plan on going to Big Al's a couple of times (one being the 49'ers game since I couldn't get tickets at a reasonable price). I do admit that they can be a bit pricey but the atmosphere is great. Like I said, I'll be there and maybe I'll see you there one of these days since I just missed out on getting season tickets this year. :(

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
vin.couve12":tz2n465z said:
Well then welcome to the most reasonably balanced place in the area. We have some hippies, some rednecks, some inner city, and some pretentious snobs. The best part is that since it's not cultural extremes like Portlandia or North Clark County....no one can agree on anything and things remain relatively normal. Plus, your kids will get a better education now.

That said, you're now actually in WA and most bars will have Hawks games on the big screen.
As opposed to the Whiner games being shown down there cuz there's a bunch of Portland people that hate anything Seattle including the Hawks (little brother syndrome anyone?). By the way Vin, your description of the 'Couv is spot on. :D

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2dtreq91 said:
vin.couve12":2dtreq91 said:

As opposed to the Whiner games being shown down there cuz there's a bunch of Portland people that hate anything Seattle including the Hawks (little brother syndrome anyone?). By the way Vin, your description of the 'Couv is spot on. :D

Not sure what you're talking about here, the Seahawks are on every single weekend in Portland. If the 49ers and Seahawks are playing at the same time its always the Seattle game that gets shown.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":49xot24m said:
hawksfansinceday1":49xot24m said:
vin.couve12":49xot24m said:

Not sure what you're talking about here, the Seahawks are on every single weekend in Portland. If the 49ers and Seahawks are playing at the same time its always the Seattle game that gets shown.
Bars man, not on TV. And there are plenty of Portland folks that would love to see Whiners rather than Hawks on TV. I've heard from them, believe me. But hey, maybe I'm just bitter cuz we're considered Portland market up here even though we're in the state of Washington and thus have to wait 'til the first game is complete before the Hawks are switched on even though a city like Spokane which is over 100 miles further away from Seattle than we are is considered a home market for the Hawks and their game is switched to when it starts no matter what's going on with the first game.
If I sound bitter about that, it's only cuz I am.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Rocket":2r8ex9uj said:
Zebulon Dak":2r8ex9uj said:

You? HERE? When?

I lived up there for 3 years from 02-05. This is before I moved to Portland.

Latest posts