Distant Replay: 1983-84 Seattle Seahawks

Fanatic24

Reaction score
When a nomadic head football coach named Chuck Knox stepped off the plane in Seattle, Washington, in January of 1983, he was taking on a challenge which he had not faced before in his decade of coaching. He was taking the reins of the Seattle Seahawks, a nondescript, history-poor team that hadn’t even existed when Knox got his first head coaching gig during the Nixon Administration.

http://www.profootballrosters.com/2013/ ... -seahawks/

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Great read, thanks for providing that.

Edit: It also brings back a ton of memories.

NYCoug

Reaction score
But as nice a surprise as Seattle’s offense was, it was nothing compared to their defense, one of the most exciting and opportunistic defenses the league has ever seen. They allowed the fifth-fewest points in the league in 1984. They held teams under 10 points five times, and pitched three shutouts. But it was the madcap manner in which Seattle’s defense played was what set them apart.

Seattle took the ball away from opponents an unfathomable 63 times – almost four per game – which is technically an NFL record. (The only two pro football teams to take the ball away more played in the AAFC in the 1940s, and in the AFL in the 1960s.) They intercepted passers a league-best 38 times. In one incredible game against Kansas City in Week 10, the Seahawks intercepted three K.C. quarterbacks a total of six times; they returned four of those for touchdowns, an NFL record that might never fall. Each touchdown return covered 50 yards or more.

The Seahawks’ overall pass defense was superior, holding opposing quarterbacks to a paltry combined 54.2 passer rating. Their 55 quarterback sacks were tied for seventh in the NFL – on opening day alone, they had 7 sacks. Defensive ends Jeff Bryant and Jacob Green both had double-digit sacks (14.5 and 13, respectively). The defense had two superstars in ’84: the first was nose guard/defensive tackle Joe Nash, who had the best year of his career. He had 7.0 sacks from the interior lineman position, and 82 tackles. But the only person on Seattle’s defense who could overshadow Nash was veteran Seahawk safety Kenny Easley.

I'd take that kind of production from the defense this season... :pimp:

Nice read, thanks for sharing. I wasn't even a thought in my parents mind in 83-84, so it's always cool to get some more Seahawks knowledge. Thank you.

Hawks46

Reaction score
This does bring back good memories. That 84 team was the team I probably had the most expectations for going into that season. Even when our Hawks went into the Superbowl, I kind of didn't see that coming, and thought we'd make the playoffs and considered 1-2 playoff wins a good season.

I have more expectations for this Hawk team than any other that I can remember. I know I'm probably setting myself up for a huge let down, but this team seems special.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
theres a team that should have at least played in one superbowl.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
When people talk about the expectations for this season, it's easy to put it in historic "best-ever" terms. But expectations and excitement were through the roof when Knox was hired and Curt Warner was drafted in '83, and then again in '84 after making the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.

I don't really remember the expectations going into '85, but they had to have been tremendous. That was that weird W2L2x4 roller coaster year. Disappointing.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3rubvc60 said:
That '86 team ended their regular season with a crescendo similar to the way the 2012 team ended theirs. IIRC the got beat out by a tiebreaker for the last playoff spot by the Bengals. If the Seahawks had made it to the playoffs that year, there's no doubt in my mind our trophy case would have at least one Lombardi in it.

A

Anonymous

BlueTalon":26zn6ku9 said:
Hawknballs":26zn6ku9 said:
That '86 team ended their regular season with a crescendo similar to the way the 2012 team ended theirs. IIRC the got beat out by a tiebreaker for the last playoff spot by the Bengals. If the Seahawks had made it to the playoffs that year, there's no doubt in my mind our trophy case would have at least one Lombardi in it.

Aahhh, the '86 season... So much excitement and hope, followed shortly thereafter by a gut-wrenching downer. Had we gotten in, the playoffs would have seen us playing teams we could have beaten with nominal effort.

1986 was one of my favorite years; the last football season I enjoyed as a single man, received a management promotion in the spring, and met the love of my life right before Christmas.

Memories....

olyfan63

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2e8ycssa said:
Hawknballs":2e8ycssa said:

I always felt that way too about the '86 team. 10-6, and beating down the Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day IN DALLAS, and I recall Krieg leading them back from 0-10 hole at San Diego to beat Air Coryell and Dan Fouts, no small feat, and then absolutely pounding the Broncos in the season finale. At season's end, I felt like that team was playing the best football of any Seahawks team before or since until the 2005 season.