Excellent Seahawks Draft

ProckHawks

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't think "fans" understand that with all the talent this team has on it. That drafting starters isn't the goal. How many impact rookies start on teams like the Patriots during their super bowl years? How many rookies started for the Steelers between 2006 and 2009, that made a huge impact? A few if any really. We took shots on some players, because we can. We drafted depth and replacemnt players in the 2013 draft. We're just so use to needing to fill spots with the draft that when we don't draft players to start year one we all freak out.

hawker84

Reaction score
I agree as well.. where i am very happy with CMike, Jesse Williams, Harper picks, it was still like a ho hum draft for me.. never got truly excited like i did in the last two.. then i realized, our team is so solid, we didn't need to go out and get an impact player who would have to come in and contribute right off the bat... we were drafting for the future, and that's the bi product of good previous drafts.. love it...

lukerguy

Reaction score
hawker84":3v9sk5k3 said:
I agree as well.. where i am very happy with CMike, Jesse Williams, Harper picks, it was still like a ho hum draft for me.. never got truly excited like i did in the last two.. then i realized, our team is so solid, we didn't need to go out and get an impact player who would have to come in and contribute right off the bat... we were drafting for the future, and that's the bi product of good previous drafts.. love it...

What does it take for you to get excited? (don't take that the wrong way).

Last year our least exciting pick was Bobby Wagner and he turned out to be 2nd in DROY... There is a pretty good probability that one of Hill, Williams, or Simon will become a quality starter given their previous track record. When I see Simon, I see a guy that physically looks like Sherman on tape. Not sure if he has great instincts but I have to believe he would have been a 3rd without the police incident. Williams was also a 2nd round grade without the medical concerns. He seems like a lot to handle, and I think getting a cheap replacement for Branch was terrific.

On the offensive side of the ball, how do you not get more excited about the most talented RB in the draft? He will add a new dimension to the team. He's a bit faster than money lynch. Harper was probably the most exciting pick for me. He's a great run blocker, and just a straight up baller. He was the only one on that Kstate offense who was a playmaker other than their QB..and they were ranked #1 overall at one point late in the year. I think we have a guy to replace Tate, and do even better.

RockHawk

Reaction score
Generally we'd look to merge this into the existing draft discussion posts, but since it's AK and we're assuming he came back after being frozen in a polar ice cap for a year, we'll let it slide. Good to see you AK.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
That time again already, eh? Good, we haven't had enough unnecessary bashing of the Seahawks and its players around here, lately. ;)

formido

Reaction score
lukerguy":7teyj5ab said:
hawker84":7teyj5ab said:
Harper was probably the most exciting pick for me. He's a great run blocker, and just a straight up baller. He was the only one on that Kstate offense who was a playmaker other than their QB..and they were ranked #1 overall at one point late in the year. I think we have a guy to replace Tate, and do even better.

I'm hopeful for Harper, too. At 33, he had the highest Wonderlic of any of the top 15 or so rated receivers in the draft. I've heard he doesn't run the most crisp routes, but maybe that doesn't play to his strengths anyway. Keeping tabs on where the defender is and getting position to his use strength, smarts, and hands to win jump balls may be better suited to him.

The Radish

Reaction score
Hey its my buddy Bob.

where you been Pal? Spend the winter in Mexico again?

:D

Hope you and that Texas lady are well.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":2f274wh5 said:
lukerguy":2f274wh5 said:
I think we have a guy to replace Tate, and do even better.

Why in the blue hell would we need to replace Tate?
Preparing for the worse, maybe? He's a free agent after this year, so who knows where things will stand contract/salary cap wise.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I for one love this draft, initially more, than any in the pumped n jacked Seahawks era.

1) We got the most dynamic player in the NFL, Percy Harvin, a player who was getting MVP consideration.

2) Michael is the definition of a luxury, when is the last time, the Seahawks could say they could just pick the best player on their board at a position they didn't necessarily need.

3) Jordan Hill while everyone is basically hating on him... is going to be a pass-rush monster... he's not at Penn St anymore where he was asked to anchor the rush defense... he can pin his ears back and do what he does best.

4) Harper is solid, imo, he grades out as the best WR in this draft based on size, strength, athleticism, smarts, speed, blocking ability, physicality, and toughness. No he's not a polished WR yet by any means but he's got better every season since making the switch from QB. The guy could bust out, he could become the next Boldin, or he could be better.

5) Williams as more upside in our system than Branch if he stays healthy

6) Simon is a perfect fit and adds another body to an already crowded position for competition.

7) Willson is not just a development pick, he's actually really good besides his workout numbers.

8) Ware was the most intimidating runner at RB, I like his upside as a future FB.

9) As for our 7th rounders, it would not surprise me if Seymour and Bowie make the roster, and Powell and Smith make the practice squad.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawker84":iy9kar0s said:

I think you guys did pretty well considering you didn't have the #1 and didn't have any glaring needs.

The Seahawks draft this year was similar to the niners draft last year (not the results, more the mindset going in). There just aren't that many open roster spots so for the most part you are drafting for value and depth. Thats the joy of having a very talented team. The Jesse WIlliams pick was a steal IMO.

These guys may or may not ever see the field this year, but the draft can still be successful.

The niners this year lost 2 big pieces in Goldson and Walker so HAD to come away with replacements. The Seahawks didn't have that need.

lukerguy

Reaction score
CANHawk":19ytmzp0 said:
lukerguy":19ytmzp0 said:
I think we have a guy to replace Tate, and do even better.

Why in the blue hell would we need to replace Tate?

As another .net member mentioned, He's a FA at the end of the year and a young playmaker could command 3-4 Million which is 3-4 million we won't have. If Harper turns out like I think he will, it may be a wash or even a slight upgrade to have him start at $500,000 per year.