It benefits NFL coordinators to lose in the playoffs...

The Outfield

Reaction score
Did anyone see this article? I thought it was an interesting perspective on the NFL's hiring process. If a coordinator's ultimate goal is to be head coach, and they're currently being considered for the position, why would they want to continue in the playoffs and risk being passed up for another guy that isn't in the playoffs? NFL teams with coaching vacancies seem to want to hire ASAP. And, as the article states, coordinators rarely get hired as head coach after being in the SuperBowl the previous year.

To me, it makes me wonder if coordinators would purposely lose a game to increase their probability of being hired.

Interestingly, both McCoy (Denver) and Bradley (Seattle) were coaches on teams that everyone expected to go much further than they did...

It would be nice if the NFL would institute a rule that firing/hiring cannot happen until the playoffs are completely over so that coordinators would not be faced with this dilemma.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1480 ... e-playoffs

kidhawk

Reaction score
I didn't click the link....no explanation necessary :lol:

I don't think any coordinator would ever lose a game on purpose to help their job prospects. This, IMO is just ridiculous. Any coordinator who may become a head coach one day, will get the promotion eventually, whether or not they win or lose any particular playoff game. if a team wants that person bad enough, they will wait. If not, they will be in line for the next round of HC vacancies.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Why would they drop a game and pass up on a chance to say they got to the Super Bowl and/or Won it.

Sounds ridiculous.

OH! Bleacher Report. :thumbdown:

The Radish

Reaction score
It used to be teams couldn't talk to other teams coaches & staff before they were through playing for the year. Don't know when that changed.

But its a huge disadvantage to good coaches whose teams are still playing for the big prize.

Its obvious to me that the NFL has already turned the corner on Pete Carroll & his ideas, and are doing all they can to immulate our success. All of a sudden college coaches and late round picks are getting more attention than ever.

Is it immulate or emmulate?

:D

OP
OP
The Outfield

The Outfield

Reaction score
Didn't know Bleacher Report was a bad source :eek: But it still seems like a topic that should be brought up...

The Radish

Reaction score
gw232":tkjmhlrk said:
Didn't know Bleacher Report was a bad source :eek: But it still seems like a topic that should be brought up...

Not to worry,,they are not to popular here but still have their moments. And but give a monkey a typewriter and eventually they will type a word. lol

:les:

Welcome to Seahawks.net by the way.

kidhawk

Reaction score
gw232":mikkxzno said:

Sometimes the bleacher report can have something of interest, but this seriously smells of conspiracy theory and something that doesn't even give a hint of reality IMO

OP
OP
The Outfield

The Outfield

Reaction score
Maybe you're right, but the pay increase can be in the magnitude of millions of dollars. Ring or millions of dollars? Hmm.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
gw232":1a1v6jbl said:
Today's system/timing for interviewing and hiring new coaches is a compromise that is the best available option.

No way could all the interviews and hirings wait after the playoffs are over.

That would be asinine.

Seattle_Stunna_MD

Reaction score
Interesting article and point made.

I wonder if you polled the OC/DC coaches who have not yet been HCs, would they A) give up playing in the SB to become a headcoach or B) pass on being a HC to have an opportunity to play in SB.

The politically correct answer of course is B, but I wouldnt be surprised to here some A's.

grizrgood

Reaction score
kidhawk":2aspaprb said:
I didn't click the link....no explanation necessary :lol:

I don't think any coordinator would ever lose a game on purpose to help their job prospects. This, IMO is just ridiculous. Any coordinator who may become a head coach one day, will get the promotion eventually, whether or not they win or lose any particular playoff game. if a team wants that person bad enough, they will wait. If not, they will be in line for the next round of HC vacancies.

This!

Sturm

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2krbo22b said:
gw232":2krbo22b said:
Today's system/timing for interviewing and hiring new coaches is a compromise that is the best available option.

No way could all the interviews and hirings wait after the playoffs are over.

That would be asinine.

I don't see why the coaching hires can't wait till after the Super Bowl. It still gives you all of February and March to bring in your new guy before the draft.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kidhawk":y3pd7krr said:
I don't think any coordinator would ever lose a game on purpose to help their job prospects. This, IMO is just ridiculous.

This is akin to saying people would never be unethical to try and benefit themselves. Yeah, I'm sure it'd never happen...

kidhawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2c060lzl said:
kidhawk":2c060lzl said:
I don't think any coordinator would ever lose a game on purpose to help their job prospects. This, IMO is just ridiculous.

This is akin to saying people would never be unethical to try and benefit themselves. Yeah, I'm sure it'd never happen...

If it were a quid pro quo situation, I could see it as a much larger possibility, but these guys are already allowed to interview for the jobs, and can even go so far as to accept a job and walk away if they so choose. None have walked away from a playoff game, so what makes you think that they'd rather lose on purpose? Can they be distracted enough to perhaps cause them to not be as prepared? Sure, but lose on purpose to MAYBE start a job a week or 2 sooner? Doesn't make any kind of sense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Haven't you ripped politicians in the PWR forum for having conflicting interests? Well, being able to interview while still coaching active games is a conflict of interest.

Some employers are desperate for new employees to start immediately, because they have someone else waiting in the wings that they'll lose if they can't get their #1 for sure in a very quick time frame. It's entirely feasible that this may happen from time to time. I didn't say it was likely, or that I thought it happens every year, or anything like that.