Prevent D??

bill99350

Reaction score
Pete said on brock and salk monday morning that they were not in the prevent defense on the last drive, and that they brot pressure both plays and it did not get to ryan!! I just thought i would throw that out there since everyone keeps sayin they were!!! Brock straight up asked pete and he said NO!!

Twisted

Reaction score
bill99350":1qhukopw said:
Pete said on brock and salk monday morning that they were not in the prevent defense on the last drive, and that they brot pressure both plays and it did not get to ryan!! I just thought i would throw that out there since everyone keeps sayin they were!!! Brock straight up asked pete and he said NO!!

so then it was simply blown coverage, the problem WAS doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

they should have sent 3 at the most and left double coverage on the outside receivers

it was a no brainer, Atl had to get outside to stop the clock, were they gong to run the ball? YEA RIGHT

pressure wasn't the issue, the issue was not covering the receivers you knew Matt was going to throw to on the sidelines, C"MON MAN he had no other choice..

also not taking the 3 was a mistake, not burying the last kick off in the end zone and not kicking the 65 yarder as apposed to throwing a failed mary... ;)

sometimes you just have to play the odds as apposed to pressing them

so in the end, all the supreme corner hype burned the Seahawks

Axx

Reaction score
bill99350":32l3cneb said:

People are upset because we have been losing in these pass situations for being in ZONE coverage,
Browner said we were in a soft zone coverage in that play..... It was an aggressive zone, but a zone none the less. The thing taht gets everyone frustrated here is that we have the best coverage group in the NFL but still run zone coverage schemes in the most critical situations.

OP
OP
B

bill99350

Reaction score
This may sound stupid, but is soft zone yhe same as prevent d?

AgentDib

Reaction score
It is simply easier to blame the scheme or play call than it is to identify which player lost their assignment, and evaluate to what degree that was poor play by our guys or good play by their guys.

When you hear somebody blaming the prevent D or a soft zone, ask them who was covering Harry Douglas on the first reception, and Tony Gonzales on the final reception. It was the same player both times, and while he could have done a better job against Douglas on the first play, he actually had pretty good coverage against Gonzalez on the second. He just got beat by a really good throw to one of the best TEs in NFL history. If you don't know who I am talking about, you should probably watch the last two plays again before you complain about a prevent defense.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
AgentDib":3psc92j6 said:
It is simply easier to blame the scheme or play call than it is to identify which player lost their assignment, and evaluate to what degree that was poor play by our guys or good play by their guys.

When you hear somebody blaming the prevent D or a soft zone, ask them who was covering Harry Douglas on the first reception, and Tony Gonzales on the final reception. It was the same player both times, and while he could have done a better job against Douglas on the first play, he actually had pretty good coverage against Gonzalez on the second. He just got beat by a really good throw to one of the best TEs in NFL history. If you don't know who I am talking about, you should probably watch the last two plays again before you complain about a prevent defense.

Chancellor. He had really good coverage on Gonzo (for those who say Cam can't cover)..it was just great catch on Gonzo's part.

jman316

Reaction score
I believe it was our ROTY Bobby Wagner.
He was a step out of position on both plays and beaten by good throws.

Now why they didn't bracket TG with a double team is beyond me. I also agree with the rush 3 and drop everyone back into coverage. Many of us knew EXACTLY what was going to happen, but our D was powerless to stop it. Hard to fathom how the D can dominate an entire half and then $h!t the bed with 31 seconds to go.

I have been waking up the past few days hoping the outcome was just a bad dream.... sadly, no.

canucklhead

Reaction score
2 problems in crucial situations....1 not having anything to do with the Falcons final drive.

1) How many times this year on a 3rd/4th and 1 have the Seahawks done the fake misdirection Robinson handoff up the middle? I'd venture to say atleast 80-90% of the time. Trouble is they weren't stopped once throughout the year, so this was their default play to gain a first down. Well, the Falcons prepared for it perfectly and prior/after the snap their whole team was clogging off tackle right.

2) Yes, the Seahawks blitzed on the 2 plays to get Atlanta into field goal position. But they were the exact same blitzes they ran against Cousins late in the Skins game. Again, the Falcons prepared perfectly.

Take home message. Other teams watch tape too.

hawker84

Reaction score
i watched the game again on replay last night. it was a soft zone, decent coverage on both, Douglas made a great catch , and got blasted in the back, but hung on... an tony did what tony's been doing for 16 years, making spetacular catches, he was doing it all game.. winston guy actually had really good coverage on him a couple times, ryan made great throws and tony made a great catch, you can't stop that... Kam was out of position on a few key plays that game, whites long td and Tony's td at the back of the endzone.. but he had a solid game other than that , and a solid season.

by the way, what absolutely killed us in that game was not our pass defense, it was our run defense.. we got completely gashed by both backs again... Earl did not have a good game tackling wise....

JonRud

Reaction score
Bottom line for me is you cannot fall behind 20-0 [and 14-0!] in these road playoff games. We have a magical QB who keeps giving us a chance...but how about showing up in the first half on Sunday?

Blame travel, 10am, Clem...whatever...but that first half effort was terrible.

We need to win 14 games next year and have all the playoffs at home. Nobody can beat us in the playoffs in Seattle.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Blame Trufant.

On that first play he comes up to limit Gonzales on what would have been an 8 yard completion. Because of him coming up it left a big hole for that first pass to be completed to the 50.

You would think our most experienced corner would understand the situation and just let Gonzales have the 8 yard catch.

I am sooooo done with Trufant

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1yf4mbmi said:
AgentDib":1yf4mbmi said:

Chancellor. He had really good coverage on Gonzo (for those who say Cam can't cover)..it was just great catch on Gonzo's part.

It wasn't Chancellor, it was Bobby Wagner all the way. He hesitated a fraction of a second before braking back towards Gonzales and allowed the completion. To Make matters worse he didn't tackle him where he caught it. Had he done so it would have been a 54 yard FG. Instead Gonzales broke that tackle and gained an extra 5 yards. ( you can see after the play that Wagner is pissed off with himself for allowing the completion.)

Browner was responsible for Harry douglas IIRC.

canucklhead

Reaction score
In these domes the modern field goal kicker isn't really affected by the difference between a 49 yard field goal and a 54 yarder. Bryant had plenty of leg to where that kick would have been good from 60 yards.

This is why you don't go soft zone with a 1 point lead and a team only needing 40 or so yards to get into range. You do that with a 4 or more point lead.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Twisted":2671coc9 said:
bill99350":2671coc9 said:

so then it was simply blown coverage, the problem WAS doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

they should have sent 3 at the most and left double coverage on the outside receivers

it was a no brainer, Atl had to get outside to stop the clock, were they gong to run the ball? YEA RIGHT
pressure wasn't the issue, the issue was not covering the receivers you knew Matt was going to throw to on the sidelines, C"MON MAN he had no other choice..

also not taking the 3 was a mistake, not burying the last kick off in the end zone and not kicking the 65 yarder as apposed to throwing a failed mary... ;)

sometimes you just have to play the odds as apposed to pressing them

so in the end, all the supreme corner hype burned the Seahawks

I thought ATL still had 2 timeouts left. Therefore, they could have run the ball. The Falcons' strength is passing. Should have just abandoned the pass rush and had each receiver triple covered. Who cares if Ryan had time. If he couldn't find an open receiver he would have wasted time looking for one which would have helped the Seahawks in terms of time. Looking back the biggest mistake, IMO, was going for it on 4th and 1, should have went for the points. 13-3 or even 20-3 vs. 20-0 makes a huge difference. That was a coaching blunder. Can't have that in crucial games. Pete's better than that.

zayden185

Reaction score
With our pass rush...we should have dropped 11 and made them burn some clock really. Why bother sending 4 with the same result...

4-4-3 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. Trail tony G with Irvin. And Wagner sit in his side pocket! Where else was he going to go with the ball?

And they have run that sideline play like 4 times to come back from games