NFL OT Question

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
I was talking to someone about the OT rules this morning and we couldn't agree on this scenario. I figured this is as good a place as any to inquire.

Let's say the ATL-SEA went to OT. SEA has first possession and kicks a FG. ATL drives downfield and throws a pick - instead of going down, the defender inexplicably tries returning and subsequently fumbles, and ATL recovers in FG range.

Isn't the game over? Doesn't the pick qualify as a change of possession and end the game, regardless of the fact that ATL recovered the ball? Or does ATL still get a crack at scoring?

ottawahawkfan

Reaction score
A change of possession occurs with the legal interception. Even if it is subsequently fumbled, the opposition would not be awarded a second possession. Game over. But that defender should still be benched.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
ottawahawkfan":zrnjry98 said:
A change of possession occurs with the legal interception. Even if it is subsequently fumbled, the opposition would not be awarded a second possession. Game over.
I agree with the above... good question.

The key is "change of possession" occurs with the INT.

mikeak

Reaction score
what if the team intercepts fumbles.........other guy returns the fumble recovery for a TD........ they still lost?

OP
OP
Hawk Finn

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
mikeak":bd56vh5y said:
what if the team intercepts fumbles.........other guy returns the fumble recovery for a TD........ they still lost?

Great point, mikeak. I guess the biggest question is whether the interception counts as the change of possession or if the change of possession actually occurs when the play is over. We all seemed to agree that the interception is the turning point, but your followup has certainly reintroduced doubt.

Latest posts