Pic of one of wilson's first training camp throws.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Hawks7

It's nothing special really, not a great pic and if I recall, it may not have even been a great throw.

But I remember pointing Russell out to my father, he's a big Seahawks fan but he's not the type of person to listen to much sports radio, surf sports websites, or visit forums. He has no real perception of what two inches seems to mean in the NFL. He didn't really tune into the the draft for hours on end like I did.

I'd seen Wilson play a couple college games. He was a good QB, but in college they never really talked too much about his height, at least the rare occassions I'd tuned into a wisconsin game. I never really had much perspective on it. But I do vividly remember seeing him there in training camp, in person just beyond the fence and telling my dad "Check out #3, we drafted him and everyone said he was too small to play QB. . . I'd keep an eye on him. He might be pretty good." He looked even smaller in person though, especially next to those big linemen, and I remember him having a conversation with his receivers and almost looking comical standing next to Sidney rice.

We were at the first pre-season game against the Titans and watched Wilson make some great plays. As the pre-season went on he really grew on both of us though, and my dad would shake his head and say "man, that Wilson kid, he's amazing!"

I got my dad a Russell Wilson Jersey for his birthday at the end of september. At that point they hadn't been available yet (I'd been checking the site every day in anticipation of his birthday) but I happened to walk into a Sports Authority while they were putting them out the day we were going out for his birthday dinner. He wore it to a nice steak house and had tons of people coming to ask him where he got it.

A couple weeks later, he was one of only a couple people who had them yet while we sat in the stands in the early 4th quarter down 23-10 against the Patriots. It was a bummer because I was getting ready to leave for San Francisco the next day with my cousin to hang out for a couple days and go to Candlestick to watch the Thursday night game, and it was unbearable to know we were going to head into that game with a loss. Watching the Seahawks come back in that game was unbelievable. Outside of the military, I'm not sure a guy has been so proud of the shirt on his back as my dad was watching Russell Wilson bring us back and beat Tom Brady.

Fast forward to today and now we're talking about being legitimate Super Bowl contenders in large part because of our 5'10 3/4" QB. We finished 11-5 and have just witnessed some of the greatest games in Seahawks History. The "Fail Mary" game as everyone calls it, the comeback against the Patriots, Wilson driving us 97 and 80 yards to beat the bears twice, the dismantling of Arizona that was like a party in the stands the entire second half, a deserved break from all our close games, followed up with a road blow-out of the bills where Wilson appeared simply unstoppable. Having a game flexed to prime-time, listening to everyone say we'd fall back down to earth against the niners, and then watching the 12th man and the Seahawks come together to blast them off the field.

I guess this is more like a personal "blog" rant, but whatever happens in the playoffs this has been an incredible season for memories as Seahawk fans that can't be spoiled win or lose.

CHawks4L

Reaction score
Great post and pic! I love how the photo truly captures all eyes on the kid, RW. Everyone is watching, and he just shines on... awesome.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I like this one too, up close and personal with the Defense and bruuuuce

Hawks4