Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2447
After hearing the news that Rice is now in a walking boot because of a foot injury, it makes me wonder why we let Edwards go.

The talent gap between Rice and Charly Martin is Grand Canyon-esque. Not sure why Pete and John decided to release Edwards when they knew Rice had a chronic foot problem (along with his history of being hurt). We saw last year how limited our passing game is when Rice isn't in the game.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:30 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:48 am
Posts: 605
Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:31 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm
Posts: 453
Location: Mountain Home, Idaho
I hope not. His few catches seemed to come in clutch moments, but they were still few.

I heard he was hurt again. I could be mistaken.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:33 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:46 pm
Posts: 548
meh its not like Braylon is reliable anyways, healthy or injured.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:34 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
Posts: 2368
Location: Sammamish, WA
The guy did nothing, not worried about it at all. Beast Mode and Russell and the option plays they were doing vs. Chicago, we'll be golden.

_________________
60 percent of the time..........it works........every time


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:34 am 
* The Doc *
* The Doc *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
Posts: 8855
Location: Covington, Washington
Pete said he didn't think (and the team didn't think) Braylon would recover from his hamstring injury before the season ended. After Edward's season last year with the 9ers the Seahawks probably told him he had to stay healthy. Look at the last second, mysterious injury before the Lions game. Was surprised with his release, just as well as the Winslow release but not sure how bad these guys legs were.

_________________
Image
Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:38 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2447
Navyhawkfan187 wrote:
Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.


Then why would the Jets sign him?

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:42 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
baldwin... te's need to play huge, backs need to catch the ball.... has it been confirmed rice is out this sunday?

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:43 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2447
hawker84 wrote:
. has it been confirmed rice is out this sunday?


No, he's listed as questionable right now.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:46 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am
Posts: 2051
Who?

_________________
Image

Go Hawks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:52 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm
Posts: 1935
Sgt. Largent wrote:
Navyhawkfan187 wrote:
Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.


Then why would the Jets sign him?

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.



I agree with this. An inactive Braylon Edwards is still more dangerous than a healthy Charley Martin.

_________________
I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:55 am 
NET Practice Squad
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 am
Posts: 66
SoulfishHawk wrote:
The guy did nothing, not worried about it at all. Beast Mode and Russell and the option plays they were doing vs. Chicago, we'll be golden.


I see what you did there


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm
Posts: 850
If Braylon Edwards is the answer, I don't like the question.

I think some of the reason he was released is that they were going to have to churn the roster somewhat because of the CB suspensions. Folks seem to forget that when you've got a guy suspended, or two guys suspended, it can really mess with the roster... you don't want to release healthy guys or guys that you know you need later, on the off chance that another team tries to pick them up and take advantage.

I don't think PC or JS thought anyone would want a dinged up Braylon Edwards for a few weeks. I'm kind of surprised the Jets took a flyer on him given his comments on Twitter.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:56 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:29 pm
Posts: 1181
To me, he looked slow on his routes, and didn't do a good job using his height to his advantage.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:57 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
Posts: 7707
Location: Surrounded by Elway, Tebow, and Manning jerseys
Sgt. Largent wrote:
Navyhawkfan187 wrote:
Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.


Then why would the Jets sign him?

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.


The Jets may have signed him because they know they're tied to Sanchez at QB, and they have zero WRs who have any chemistry or connection with him. Edwards did at one point, and they may be trying to recapture that (in other words, they're thinking longer-term than just the last 3 weeks of the season).

_________________
Image

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:02 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm
Posts: 1935
BocciHawk wrote:
If Braylon Edwards is the answer, I don't like the question.

I think some of the reason he was released is that they were going to have to churn the roster somewhat because of the CB suspensions. Folks seem to forget that when you've got a guy suspended, or two guys suspended, it can really mess with the roster... you don't want to release healthy guys or guys that you know you need later, on the off chance that another team tries to pick them up and take advantage.

I don't think PC or JS thought anyone would want a dinged up Braylon Edwards for a few weeks. I'm kind of surprised the Jets took a flyer on him given his comments on Twitter.



Suspended players do not count against the active roster. Braylon was released because he presented no value to the team for the remainder of the year.

_________________
I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2447
volsunghawk wrote:

The Jets may have signed him because they know they're tied to Sanchez at QB, and they have zero WRs who have any chemistry or connection with him. Edwards did at one point, and they may be trying to recapture that (in other words, they're thinking longer-term than just the last 3 weeks of the season).


Makes sense. Just seems like a gamble on Pete's part, especially if he has plans on making a run in the playoffs (which he should right?).

Cause right now our receiver corp is comprise of;

- A hurt Rice
- Tate who is just now playing up to his potential
- Baldwin who also can't stay healthy this year
- Martin (big question mark)
- Kearse (fresh off the practice roster)

Even if Edwards was indeed going to be on the shelf for 2-3 weeks, that still means he could have added roster depth for the playoffs......ESPECIALLY if one or two of our receivers are hurt/banged up.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7407
Location: CVN-68
volsunghawk wrote:
Sgt. Largent wrote:
Navyhawkfan187 wrote:
Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.


Then why would the Jets sign him?

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.


The Jets may have signed him because they know they're tied to Sanchez at QB, and they have zero WRs who have any chemistry or connection with him. Edwards did at one point, and they may be trying to recapture that (in other words, they're thinking longer-term than just the last 3 weeks of the season).


Winner winner, chicken dinner!

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:49 am 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:13 pm
Posts: 4628
Location: Puyallup, WA USA
IMHO...the OP is making a "Mountain out of a molehill"! Pete said in his presser yesterday that Rice has had a sore toe for the season, but when he woke up Monday morning that his entire foot was sore. He had an X-Ray taken as well as an MRI. There was no appearant structural damage. So, the MD's advised him to soak it in Epsom Salts with warm water and limit movement as long as possible.

The medical staff advised Pete the Mr. Edwards's injury to his hamstring muscle would likely limit him severely for the next three weeks. Anyone who has had a sore hamstring realizes very quickly that it limits the speed you can run. Hence, the decision to release Mr. Edwards.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm
Posts: 771
The Jets like headlines , I thought that was obvious.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2447
EastCoastHawksFan wrote:
The Jets like headlines , I thought that was obvious.


Pretty sad if the Jets thought signing a underachieving journeyman WR again was exciting headline worthy.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:28 am 
* NET Philistine *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 14120
Location: Portland, OR
volsunghawk wrote:
Sgt. Largent wrote:
Navyhawkfan187 wrote:
Because Braylon has a hamstring issue that they felt would keep him out at least 3 games.


Then why would the Jets sign him?

Not saying Edwards was playing great, but he did have a TD catch (and almost a 2nd one in Chicago)........and is more dangerous than Martin. Just a little confusing is all if Rice's foot problem was known prior to the release.


The Jets may have signed him because they know they're tied to Sanchez at QB, and they have zero WRs who have any chemistry or connection with him. Edwards did at one point, and they may be trying to recapture that (in other words, they're thinking longer-term than just the last 3 weeks of the season).


This is rational and well constructed. Which is why I disagree. ;) My take is: It's the Jets. They're a mess right now, and they aren't really bound to, ya know, rational thought.

_________________
Super Bowl Champions XVLIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:22 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:56 pm
Posts: 675
the jets and braylon deserve each other.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:28 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 3181
The Jets have had a ton of injuries at WR. Edwards obviously knows the system. This, at the very least, is a team signing a street FA that is familiar with their offensive system, and can contribute right away. Similar to NE signing Branch again; they needed a body that knows the system.

The other more in depth speculation could be correct, but I think that's the major factor.

If Rice can't go, we need to run more 2 TE sets with McCoy and Miller, and just run and pass out of the same formation. We really want to screw up Buffalo, start out with the 2 TE sets and run no huddle.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Washington
T.O. anyone?

_________________
TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:15 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am
Posts: 2878
Bigpumpkin wrote:
Hence, the decision to release Mr. Edwards.

Didn't realize that the Hawks signed Braylon's father.

How old is he?

_________________
EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 4:06 pm
Posts: 499
This is a good thing
They will have to spread the ball around and throw to tes and rbs more
This is going to make us use the playbook on the road which is exactly what I want to see


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:49 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am
Posts: 2293
Edwards was never fully committed to this offense. Just didn't seem to be all in, at any point in the season. It was apparent in everything he did. In that respect, I believe he met the same fate as Winslow and TO. Guys like that can be a cancer on a team as cohesive as this one. Not bad guys per se, just not drinking the Kool Aid. And I get the impression that PC is one of the great Kool Aid peddlers in the game. I drank it,and it was good! :-)

_________________
#NEXTMANUP


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Did we make a mistake with letting Braylon go?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am
Posts: 573
Jermaine Kearse. Even though he couldn't bring in the would-be TD pass from Flynn. I didn't see it as a drop, but I only saw it the one time.
Was it really a drop by Kearse? Anyone got a video link to that play?

I think releasing Edwards is basically saying that Pete thinks a healthy, all-in Jermaine Kearse helps the team more than a nicked up, less-committed Braylon Edwards. I'll go with that. And that having Charly Martin on special teams helps the team more than keeping Edwards around. I guess Edwards must have sucked as a special teams contributor.

And the Jets are desperately thin at WR so that even an injured Edwards is better than their #2 receiver. That's what's really going on, the Jets are desperate and taking a flyer on Edwards just like they did on Tebow. Plus Sanchez and Brayon already have some chemistry from before.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: balko56, BASF, CurryStopstheRuns, Google [Bot], grizbob, ImTheScientist, jammerhawk, Jayburd14, Kooshster, Largefarva, sedrohawk, themunn, Tune, Yahoo [Bot] and 98 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.